Reactive target ideas

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Reactive target ideas

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Jun 2019, 9:04 am

I’m about to take a small group of ppl to my property - who have expressed an interest in trying shooting.
Most have squeezed off a few .22’s and some of the younger ladies have fired a 12g.

Just looking for ideas on reactive targets to spark the interest a little - other than seeing holes in a bit of paper?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Reactive target ideas

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Jun 2019, 9:19 am

Plastic drinking containers full of water are always a big hit. The bigger the better. 2L and 3L milk containers.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 29 Jun 2019, 9:34 am

As above, also cheap soft drink cans, shake em up first. Have seen a few melons on YouTube being hit with bigger cals, fairly visual result when hit.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by cracker » 29 Jun 2019, 10:14 am

potatoes are fun with the 22lr... how ever youll end up growing potatoes everywhere...
water melons explode with larger rounds, 375h&h just turned one into gooey mess
just pick up your mess if your out bush for christ sake.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 29 Jun 2019, 11:00 am

My suggestion... get some state, federal politicians... ohh and don't forget beurocrats the higher the better and ofcourse the one that everyone forgets councillors.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jun 2019, 12:14 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’m about to take a small group of ppl to my property - who have expressed an interest in trying shooting.
Most have squeezed off a few .22’s and some of the younger ladies have fired a 12g.

Just looking for ideas on reactive targets to spark the interest a little - other than seeing holes in a bit of paper?

For maximum reaction bring some Greenies along to watch :-)

I bought some steel tyre valves, drilled holes in 2-litre Coke bottle tops, install the valves, hit them with some compressed air, then shoot them.
Attachments
20190629_121021b.jpg
20190629_121021b.jpg (343.11 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 Jun 2019, 2:47 pm

A little bit of bio-degradable food dye in the water bottles always adds some variety, and at a recent sunset shoot a bloke introduced me to balloons with little flashing lights inside, magic! Have (safe) fun! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 29 Jun 2019, 8:00 pm

stretching black garbage bags over targets then painting them white can show hits pretty good :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Jun 2019, 8:52 pm

I've seen videos of those flyspray can sized gas cans shot at while somehow a fire burns near on on it, perhaps a jiffy fire lighter.
Some good fireballs when it goes well.

Also there's this https://youtu.be/316t0TM1EUU
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by CrackThump » 29 Jun 2019, 9:17 pm

I second the motion for cheap kmart softdrinks by the carton.. give one a good shake and toss it high for a much more fun trap shoot :D

also, if you have old dry chem type fire extinguishers laying about.. VERY reactive haha.

I also like to tie various coloured balloons to a stringline at 40-50 mtrs .. they flap around just enough to make it fun

old railway tieplates, or bbq plates sprayed with hi-vis maker paint make great gongs at 50 - 100mtr, although my 223 put holes in the railway tie plate.

somewhere on this forum is a link to printable A4 targets that I thought was hilarious, everything from stormtroopers to zombies to a koala pulling a browneye. hahaha

have fun with the new recruits out there.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Jun 2019, 9:58 pm

TassieTiger wrote:some of the younger ladies have fired a 12g.

Reactive targets eh Tassie ????

If you play up to the "ladies" you might find that the husband or boyfriend might find you to be a reactive target ,,,, :lol:

However I think I've already mentioned this idea before a while back,,,,,, Get a six pack or two of the metal butane cans from Bunnings or the Supermarket.
Set one on a block of wood about 2 meters away from a wood fire with the breeze blowing toward the fire.
Go back at least 50 meters, and whack the can with a good high velocity round (I use 22/250)

You get a damm good explosion from the gas can itself,,,,,,, and then a massive fireball as the gas cloud is ignited by the fire.

Best at night time, and makes interesting videos to watch in slow mo

Be very fire aware, and keep well away as the bits of can schrapnel fly a fair distance.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 30 Jun 2019, 6:48 am

Spuds are a good idea. Cheap, portable, biodegradable. I get a lot of windfall apples and so use them. This time of year you can get bags of the pretty cheap in a supermarket. Not to small and not to big and no buggerising about.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by xDom » 30 Jun 2019, 9:45 am

Die Judicii wrote:

If you play up to the "ladies" you might find that the husband or boyfriend might find you to be a reactive target ,,,, :lol:

However I think I've already mentioned this idea before a while back,,,,,, Get a six pack or two of the metal butane cans from Bunnings or the Supermarket.
Set one on a block of wood about 2 meters away from a wood fire with the breeze blowing toward the fire.
Go back at least 50 meters, and whack the can with a good high velocity round (I use 22/250)

You get a damm good explosion from the gas can itself,,,,,,, and then a massive fireball as the gas cloud is ignited by the fire.

Be very fire aware, and keep well away as the bits of can schrapnel fly a fair distance.

That’s funny!. I can’t remember them suggesting this in the Firearms Safety Course?!
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 30 Jun 2019, 9:56 am

xDom wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:

That’s funny!. I can’t remember them suggesting this in the Firearms Safety Course?!

Exactly what I was thinking. I’d probably keep it to inert targets.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Jul 2019, 8:40 pm

JimTom wrote:
xDom wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. I’d probably keep it to inert targets.

That's probably because they're pompous safety nuff nuffs at the firearms safety course and this is a thread about how to have fun with firearms ... safely, run by us resident yeah hah red necks.

Wait till we get talking about fun with dynamite, det cord and ANFO, there's even more they won't teach you in that course.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 01 Jul 2019, 9:53 pm

Yes local cat pound
sorry just thinking out loud
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 01 Jul 2019, 10:42 pm

pomemax wrote:Yes local cat pound
sorry just thinking out loud

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jul 2019, 9:27 am

Balloons with flour or other powder/coloured powder works well, steel gongs can be fun too as can the little spinner targets made of steel, clay targets can be fun too and can rabbit heads stuck on spikes for a bit of real target practice.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by xDom » 02 Jul 2019, 12:33 pm

[quote=" rabbit heads stuck on spikes for a bit of real target practice.[/quote]

Love it!! :lol:

Like something out of Game of Thrones!
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 02 Jul 2019, 5:07 pm

Another vote for shaking up cheapo coles brand softdrinks. They will explode even for 22LR. If you are using a decent calibre take advantage of giving them a safety lesson with a watermelon or 10lt oil drum filled with water. Let them see what the hydrostatic shock does from a high powered bullet, with an admonition to keep guns pointed in safe directions at all times.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2019, 5:12 pm

mickb wrote:Another vote for shaking up cheapo coles brand softdrinks. They will explode even for 22LR. If you are using a decent calibre take advantage of giving them a safety lesson with a watermelon or 10lt oil drum filled with water. Let them see what the hydrostatic shock does from a high powered bullet, with an admonition to keep guns pointed in safe directions at all times.

For an even better result, beer cans shaken up explode quite nicely too when shot.

When I was a kid I would stack up wet clay from the creek then go well back and shoot the lumps, they explode nicely with high-velocity rounds. Too bloody cold here to be scraping around in the creek water though :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jul 2019, 7:52 pm

xDom wrote:[quote=" rabbit heads stuck on spikes for a bit of real target practice.

Love it!! :lol:

Like something out of Game of Thrones![/quote]

She's a great way to teach kids how to shoot bunnies humanely, give it a go mate. That's how I taught my kids how to shoot em with the 22's they have. :thumbsup:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Jul 2019, 8:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickb wrote:Another vote for shaking up cheapo coles brand softdrinks. They will explode even for 22LR. If you are using a decent calibre take advantage of giving them a safety lesson with a watermelon or 10lt oil drum filled with water. Let them see what the hydrostatic shock does from a high powered bullet, with an admonition to keep guns pointed in safe directions at all times.

For an even better result, beer cans shaken up explode quite nicely too when shot.

When I was a kid I would stack up wet clay from the creek then go well back and shoot the lumps, they explode nicely with high-velocity rounds. Too bloody cold here to be scraping around in the creek water though :-)

I'm more than certain that wasting good beer is a serious offense against the tobacco and alcohol act.
Make sure your using bad beer
images (4).jpeg
Bad beer
images (4).jpeg (29.97 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Jul 2019, 9:00 pm

Well hasn’t this thread gone left...lol.
Was at Bunnings today - thought I needed some butane for my camp stove...but I don’t have a gas stove lol.

Took some ideas from here, balloons, bottles, 29c soft drink cans, etc mixed it up as best I could - think I’ve converted a few ppl. A great day was hand and an even better night telling tall stories lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Chappo » 02 Jul 2019, 9:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:For an even better result, beer cans shaken up explode quite nicely too when shot.

NO.... Bad bladeracer....
That’s alcohol abuse :o

Set up some golf balls on tees 25-50 yds out for open site 22lr’s
Good training to get your eye in. They fly off nicely when hit square on
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 02 Jul 2019, 10:06 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
I'm more than certain that wasting good beer is a serious offense against the tobacco and alcohol act.

More of an offence against the 'minister for finance' $50 for 24 shots :shock:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jul 2019, 1:07 am

mickb wrote: Let them see what the hydrostatic shock does from a high powered bullet, with an admonition to keep guns pointed in safe directions at all times.

I regularly use soft drink cans full of water for testing the zero of the 22/250, and several times I have noticed (when they are sat on a piece of particle board) that the hydrostatic pressure has left a fairly deep ring where the base of the can has been punched downwards into the particle board.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jul 2019, 1:20 am

mickb wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

More of an offence against the 'minister for finance' $50 for 24 shots :shock:

Then another $25 for farkin ant repellent—not to mention the pissed bunnies...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 04 Jul 2019, 10:08 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Well hasn’t this thread gone left...lol.
Was at Bunnings today - thought I needed some butane for my camp stove...but I don’t have a gas stove lol.

Took some ideas from here, balloons, bottles, 29c soft drink cans, etc mixed it up as best I could - think I’ve converted a few ppl. A great day was hand and an even better night telling tall stories lol.

Great to hear it was a success T.T. . glad we could help.. New converts to the sport are always welcome (and needed)
:)
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jul 2019, 4:16 pm

Saw this just now on FB, looks like a fun way to introduce kids to air-rifles - in the states that allow kids to shoot still.
Basically a steel tube with a hole through the bottom, 6.5mm at the front with a larger hole at the back. Drop a piece of blackboard chalk in the top and any pellets passing through the hole give a puff of chalk dust, and the chalk falls automatically to reset itself.
Attachments
Chalk target.JPG
Chalk target.JPG (67.95 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation