Where to do long range targets (gongs) in Victoria

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Where to do long range targets (gongs) in Victoria

Post by MaximusPew » 03 Jul 2019, 2:22 pm

Hi there guys, I have been trying to find somewhere to shoot long range targets (gongs) in Victoria for the last three years without any luck whatsoever..I have tried letterdrops/doorknocks/internet searches/posts word of mouth you name it I’ve tried it..I’m just looking for someone or somewhere on private property that I can shoot steel without the worry of shooting in the bush and not knowing if I can or can’t do it in a particular location..I’ve tried Inland Hunting Properties but to be honest I’m not willing to pay the $440 minimum booking fee for one day of shooting..I’ve been shooting at Little River and I just can’t do it anymore..Firstly 500 metres is too short and no challenge at all..secondly, having a ceasefire every twenty minutes then waiting 1/2 hour for some bloke to walk out and back to 400 to check his targets is driving me crazy..thirdly, I’m bored witless shooting groups at 200,300 etc and I’m not interested in shooting F-class or Fly with all of its regulations and restrictions etc..I’m honestly at the point of selling all of my stuff and giving up the sport I love because I just can’t do anything I want to do which is shooting targets at long range (800+)..I’ve spent over $30k on guns, gear, reloading equipment and all the other necessities yet I can’t really use it all for anything..I know there’s a few clubs that shoot longer ranges but I’m not keen on driving to Mildura to shoot 1000 yards, nor am I interested in any of the VRA clubs with its single shot .308 or .233 etc.. I’m fully licenced, 46 years old, SSAA member with insurance, range officer qualified..I’m willing to pay S fee to anyone with property who will allow me to shoot targets (I’m not interested in hunting or spotlighting) within a couple of hours of Melbourne just target shooting in a safe environment..sorry for the long post/whinge but I have tried everything and this is my last option..I have a 6.5 Swede and a 6.5x47 Lap for long range..thanks for reading this far :)
MaximusPew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Where to do long range targets (gongs) in Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Jul 2019, 12:08 pm

Sell your Guns
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2019, 12:52 pm

MaximusPew wrote:Hi there guys, I have been trying to find somewhere to shoot long range targets (gongs) in Victoria for the last three years without any luck whatsoever..I have tried letterdrops/doorknocks/internet searches/posts word of mouth you name it I’ve tried it..I’m just looking for someone or somewhere on private property that I can shoot steel without the worry of shooting in the bush and not knowing if I can or can’t do it in a particular location..I’ve tried Inland Hunting Properties but to be honest I’m not willing to pay the $440 minimum booking fee for one day of shooting..I’ve been shooting at Little River and I just can’t do it anymore..Firstly 500 metres is too short and no challenge at all..secondly, having a ceasefire every twenty minutes then waiting 1/2 hour for some bloke to walk out and back to 400 to check his targets is driving me crazy..thirdly, I’m bored witless shooting groups at 200,300 etc and I’m not interested in shooting F-class or Fly with all of its regulations and restrictions etc..I’m honestly at the point of selling all of my stuff and giving up the sport I love because I just can’t do anything I want to do which is shooting targets at long range (800+)..I’ve spent over $30k on guns, gear, reloading equipment and all the other necessities yet I can’t really use it all for anything..I know there’s a few clubs that shoot longer ranges but I’m not keen on driving to Mildura to shoot 1000 yards, nor am I interested in any of the VRA clubs with its single shot .308 or .233 etc.. I’m fully licenced, 46 years old, SSAA member with insurance, range officer qualified..I’m willing to pay S fee to anyone with property who will allow me to shoot targets (I’m not interested in hunting or spotlighting) within a couple of hours of Melbourne just target shooting in a safe environment..sorry for the long post/whinge but I have tried everything and this is my last option..I have a 6.5 Swede and a 6.5x47 Lap for long range..thanks for reading this far :)

I can only suggest you start looking for a block of land of your own, or even go into a block with a bunch of other shooters. I would suggest you find somewhere big though. An acre is only 4000m2, or a 63 meter square, or as a range, 20m wide by 200m long. 100 acres could give you 1000m shooting, if it's only 400m wide, which means both neighbours are close by. You also want to be well away from roads if possible. And you'll need clear line-of-sight. One of our blocks is 1200m by 200m, which sounds like the perfect rifle range, but one end of it is flat on top of a hill, and the middle part is dense native bush. I can shoot .22LR out to 650m, but that's because the bullets are coming into the target at 50-degrees, so they hit the ground just a couple meters behind the target (at 45-degrees into a target two-meters above ground, the bullets hit the ground two meters behind the target). A high-velocity rifle bullet would go through the target and keep going over the hill so I can't shoot anything flat-shooting at this particular target. I can shoot out past 800m on a neighbour's block, but it's over a long valley with hellish winds tearing along it all the time.

I shoot a lot of high-velocity rifles here as well, but I try to keep those to weekdays when kids are at school and most parents are working in town. I talk to all the neighbours and they're all fine with it, but you can never be quite sure how anybody really feels about anything. They could say they're fine with it and yet be straight on the phone to Police at the first shot. The neighbours that are actually working the land don't mind me shooting at all, as they all shoot as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 04 Jul 2019, 7:59 pm

I dont know if this can help but I do know the Geelong rifle range is to 1000, it's off hams lane anakie east ph 0458227639
I am fortunate enough to have private property that I can shoot to distance but maybe this list will help to get you a start :drinks:
https://huntingvictoria.com.au/2015/11/ ... -victoria/
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Jul 2019, 8:16 pm

Its a VRA range, You know one with all those rules that make shooting no fun.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Strikey » 04 Jul 2019, 9:18 pm

Might need to change your attitude a tad if you think FClass and Fly shoots have too many rules and regulations especially as these may be your only option for shooting long range, fairly certain Rule 10 for Fly shooting is enjoy yourself but over the years I have found that the ones who complain about the rules of any form of competition usually can't shoot for s**t :allegedly:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 04 Jul 2019, 9:57 pm

Might be time to take up the challenge of the holy black...
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by MaximumPew » 04 Jul 2019, 10:05 pm

I don’t mean to diss F Class or Fly..I totally respect both as being top of the table in terms of wringing out the best in accuracy and knowledge etc..I was referring to things like muzzle brake restrictions, weight restrictions etc..yes I know that there are different categories such as F Open and others, but I’m not really interested in competing..I just like doing my own thing..I consistently shoot sub half moa groups so I’m pretty confident I can in fact ‘shoot for s**t’..I just want to enjoy myself without the pressure of competing is all I’m getting at..thanks for all the feedback anyway :)
MaximumPew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2019, 10:57 pm

Strikey wrote:Might need to change your attitude a tad if you think FClass and Fly shoots have too many rules and regulations especially as these may be your only option for shooting long range, fairly certain Rule 10 for Fly shooting is enjoy yourself but over the years I have found that the ones who complain about the rules of any form of competition usually can't shoot for s**t :allegedly:

F-Class doesn't even allow you to use your own rifles do they? If you aren't willing to build a dedicated single-shot rifle that has no purpose other than F-Class they don't want to know you.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Jul 2019, 7:56 am

G'day bladeracer,
F Open allows for any rifle at all providing it is no larger than 8mm and for some ranges power restricted to 308 energy levels. The comp is shot single loaded but it does not require any special rifle. I have shot F Open with a Ruger 77 MkII in 25-06. OP only wants to ping steel at 800+ though, and is not interested in actual long range precision shooting, or precision of any sort such as the challenge of high precision 50m smallbore or 10m air rifle. As such, he is going to have a lot of trouble finding venues to shoot other than private property, and your original suggestion of getting together with some like minded individuals and buying a block may be his best option. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 05 Jul 2019, 8:19 am

bladeracer wrote:
Strikey wrote:Might need to change your attitude a tad if you think FClass and Fly shoots have too many rules and regulations especially as these may be your only option for shooting long range, fairly certain Rule 10 for Fly shooting is enjoy yourself but over the years I have found that the ones who complain about the rules of any form of competition usually can't shoot for s**t :allegedly:

F-Class doesn't even allow you to use your own rifles do they? If you aren't willing to build a dedicated single-shot rifle that has no purpose other than F-Class they don't want to know you.

This is just wrong you may be referring to one club that I think has been cautioned by the VRA. In fact there is now a Hunter Class written into the NRAA rules to facilitate those clubs that were not already doing this.

However there are still Range Rules just like at any range and formats that will be shot not just a free for all. So back to my initial suggestion Sell Guns.

Strikey is 100% correct no Club or Rifle Range will want someone with that attitude and the Rifle Ranges were not set up for that type of shooting. Not even PSR in Australia.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Jul 2019, 8:54 am

This feels like he wants to have his cake... and eat it too.

Tbh while thinking gongs is fun.. what will happen when you get bored with 800. Or get frustrated with wind. My suggestion get a smaller going, or a paper target and see how small a group you can consistently get... yes I know that's is boring. But maybe a change in what you like or yes sell your guns.

A few years ago I had a turbo charged car and the knowledge and skills to tune it so I tuned it on 91 octain fuel just cuz I could, everyone laughed, but having no regular access to racing tracks and not wanting to loose my license, impound my vehicle or injure someone on the road while street racing I had to do something, and it was fun. The challenge of doing something different
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jul 2019, 9:42 am

^ did the same with 500hp Ve...
I can go nuts on a bike on the track - something goes wrong, it’s my ass...Ute had a passenger seat...got sideways a couple times with my son and woke up - sold it, despite his tears.

I don’t know land values in the ops area but if you’ve got $30k tied up in guns and really want to play without the hassle - look at buying some vacant land.

Here is a recent scenario I came across and yeah - it’s Tas but still it’s food for thought.

1500 hectares came up for sale 1.5 hours out of Hobart. Regen forest, some plantation timbers, AND 100 hectares of fully protected, cannot do anything with parcel of land.

Expected price was $500k BUT the govt paid the new buyer $105k to NOT use the 100 hectares of protected land.
So if you borrowed the 500k at 4% on interest only loan = you’d have to come up with $20k a year in interest payments. So you could own that land for 5 years Effectively for free, from the govt payment alone...and have 5 years of shooting what ever bloody distances you wanted...
There are a number of options like this out there if you are deadset serious but it takes time, research and work.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by MaximumPew » 05 Jul 2019, 9:52 am

Sorry guys, my intention wasn’t to diss anyone’s favourite discipline or to get into a ‘my dog is better than yours’ discussion..I merely stated the reasons in my original post as to why I’m hoping to find somewhere to shoot on private property..perhaps I should rephrase it and simply say that I’m not particularly interested in the formality or pressure of participating in competitions..yes I have competed in the past shooting Rimfire..yes I have spent years shooting groups at various distances and yes I have now gone down to smaller targets at 500..I’m sorry if my attitude upsets you, but as stated above I merely tried to point out my reasons for submitting this post..I think I might just go and buy a Ford Ranger, grow a beard and buy a pair of 5.11 Tactical pants so I can compete in PRS..thanks for all the feedback
MaximumPew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Jul 2019, 2:23 pm

you can get private property that will give you a go but it takes time and a hell of a lot of effort to gain the trust of the cocky
its a good thing if they are shooters as well and you can make a day of it occasionally
a really long dirt laneway is the best but if you have to use a range it is on there terms and rules :unknown:
I dont find the rules a challenge, rules are rules but overeagerlittledickscreamingselfinflating RO's put me off big time

I recon noisy has the idea, go over to the dark side
I am to invested in what I do or I would :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Jul 2019, 6:06 pm

250 acres for sale near Pyramid Hill 2 1/2 hours out of Melbourne $300 000. Flat land would need a good berm but 1100m range possible for weekend fun. Find a tenant for the house, shooter of course, and problem solved. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2019, 6:08 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bladeracer,
F Open allows for any rifle at all providing it is no larger than 8mm and for some ranges power restricted to 308 energy levels. The comp is shot single loaded but it does not require any special rifle. I have shot F Open with a Ruger 77 MkII in 25-06. OP only wants to ping steel at 800+ though, and is not interested in actual long range precision shooting, or precision of any sort such as the challenge of high precision 50m smallbore or 10m air rifle. As such, he is going to have a lot of trouble finding venues to shoot other than private property, and your original suggestion of getting together with some like minded individuals and buying a block may be his best option. Cheers.

I can only relate what I was told by the specific club I attended, they stated straight out that they would not accept me as a member if I merely wished to pay them for the privilege of enjoying my hunting rifles and milsurps on their range. Whether this is the club that was reprimanded I don't know as I've never been back there.

Since you mentioned the 8mm rule, I have never found anybody that can tell me if it's a nominal or actual rule - is 8x57mm allowed in F-Class with its 8.2mm bullet?

I'm with the OP in my manner of enjoying my shooting. I have no interest at all in winning trophies or posting higher scores than anybody else, I just enjoy testing myself, under whatever rules I decide on to increase the challenge or enjoyment of learning to shoot better. Testing your own precision is not to be sneered at simply because somebody doesn't want to compete. Shooting small groups at close ranges is fun also, but it is a very different experience to _actually_ shooting at long-ranges.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MaximumPew » 05 Jul 2019, 6:54 pm

Thank you Bladeracer :) I’m not some bogan redneck that wants to have ‘a free for all’ without the usual safety standards in place..if anybody bothered to notice in my original post I am in fact a qualified range officer so safety and respecting a property owner’s wishes is of course my utmost priority..as for buying my own block of land, well I might have to put that on the back burner for a while as I just bought a new z71 Colorado so I can look the part when I rock up to Little River..thanks again for all the feedback :)
MaximumPew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Jul 2019, 7:15 pm

Colorado... mate you need camo jacket, camo pants, finger less gloves and misty importantly a camo jacket, minimum 10k gun plus scope etc. And obviously not be able to hit a 10inch target at 100m to fit into some types.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jul 2019, 9:06 pm

MaximumPew wrote:Thank you Bladeracer :) I’m not some bogan redneck that wants to have ‘a free for all’ without the usual safety standards in place..if anybody bothered to notice in my original post I am in fact a qualified range officer so safety and respecting a property owner’s wishes is of course my utmost priority..as for buying my own block of land, well I might have to put that on the back burner for a while as I just bought a new z71 Colorado so I can look the part when I rock up to Little River..thanks again for all the feedback :)

There are ways...
IF you can find an ex plantation forest for sale, that is an early cycle of 2nd round plantation - then, if it's big enough and meets the defined criteria, a carbon credit contract will repay you approx $180 per hectare (this goes up and down), for a minimum of a 10 year period...again...but one of the ways to help buy some private land.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jul 2019, 10:00 pm

TassieTiger wrote:There are ways...
IF you can find an ex plantation forest for sale, that is an early cycle of 2nd round plantation - then, if it's big enough and meets the defined criteria, a carbon credit contract will repay you approx $180 per hectare (this goes up and down), for a minimum of a 10 year period...again...but one of the ways to help buy some private land.

Rose has been investigating Carbon just now, she knows a guy getting $1700 a hectare and hoping to push it even higher.
The new block we just bought is in very, very poor condition with many acres taken over by bracken and blackberry. Since it's going to take a lot of work to bring it back Rose wants to do soil sampling to see what the carbon levels are currently.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jul 2019, 11:55 pm

$1700 a hectare? What crop / carbon credit scheme is paying that?

There are another 100 ways to buy a small parcel of land - air bnb is another way, another way might be for a small club to throw in for interest only payments...I know plenty of ppl who’d throw a couple hundred a year to get away from club rules...etc etc etc etc wtc
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jul 2019, 12:46 am

TassieTiger wrote:$1700 a hectare? What crop / carbon credit scheme is paying that?

There are another 100 ways to buy a small parcel of land - air bnb is another way, another way might be for a small club to throw in for interest only payments...I know plenty of ppl who’d throw a couple hundred a year to get away from club rules...etc etc etc etc wtc

He sells his carbon storage privately. He plows crops back into the soil to pump up the carbon - peas, radishes and such.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation