banks and sellers

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

banks and sellers

Post by TheGreenwolf » 10 Jul 2019, 1:05 pm

i sell swords and knives.

i have found some banks discriminate based on that even though what i do is well within the laws of the land. by discriminate i meant they wont let you have accounts with them.

just wondering if you guys know which banks will work with sellers of swords and knives.

i don't intend to sell guns so only really interested in swords and knives but i guess if they let you sell guns then swords or knives would be ok.

so far i can use both paypal, saint george and afterpay. but would like to know others that people have used. both local in australia and for international transfers.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Re: banks and sellers

Post by pomemax » 10 Jul 2019, 1:18 pm

Just tell them if they need to ask its your Business and if they persist tell them you sell cutlery
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Hunter257 » 10 Jul 2019, 3:10 pm

pomemax wrote:Just tell them if they need to ask its your Business and if they persist tell them you sell cutlery

Actually in the truest definition of the term, knives and swords are genuinely cutlery
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 10 Jul 2019, 3:59 pm

Tell them you're an antique seller & appraiser. i'm sure you've got an old sword or two there that makes it a true statement. I know my youngest sword is from ww2, they're not weapons they're antiques and collectables. :D
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jul 2019, 4:08 pm

They are happy to take money from kiddy tamperers so why the f*** not take it from someone who sells cutlery? tell em to wake the f*** up FFS!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Jul 2019, 4:10 pm

I'm finding is a little hard to believe, how are they discriminating against you are they refusing to take your money , or refusing to allow you to open an account with them.

Surely you have a bank account of some form for personal use, which can easily be used for such transactions.

Unless you're sending your money to Afghanistan I seriously doubt the banks would care less about how the money is generated.

Why not tell them you're in the business of selling sex toys, that might make the sticky beak teller sorry they asked.

They have no buisnes asking unless the transaction is $10,000 or more. ( or the foreign equivalent)
If they're asking you questions and your transaction is less than that I'd be asking to speak to the manager for a please explain.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 10 Jul 2019, 8:14 pm

I work for Westpac (WIB) but have my personal and business accounts with NAB, my business is in munitions but neither asked nor care how I earn a buck. Westpac even gives me 10 days paid sporting leave to compete in State, National or International competitions. Management are fully aware that I'm a competitive shooter and have been extremely supportive with time off over the previous 5 years. Gun shop's have to bank somewhere after all, maybe the personal views of the staff got involved?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TheGreenwolf » 12 Jul 2019, 1:20 pm

thanks brett,

yes they don't let you open accounts with them, or insurers won't issue policies etc. this is a real thing based on some form moral high ground or perceived risk.

normally its weapons, sex shop owners, even underwear stores are under this sort of attack. things like social media as well restrict what you can and cant post.

yes there are some ways around it.

but what i am asking is just from other peoples experiences which banks and finance institutions are easier to work with.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jul 2019, 1:51 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I'm finding is a little hard to believe, how are they discriminating against you are they refusing to take your money , or refusing to allow you to open an account with them.

Surely you have a bank account of some form for personal use, which can easily be used for such transactions.

Unless you're sending your money to Afghanistan I seriously doubt the banks would care less about how the money is generated.

Why not tell them you're in the business of selling sex toys, that might make the sticky beak teller sorry they asked.

They have no buisnes asking unless the transaction is $10,000 or more. ( or the foreign equivalent)
If they're asking you questions and your transaction is less than that I'd be asking to speak to the manager for a please explain.

If / when Ive taken $10k out - they ask me why - I say I need it for drugs...next time..I say it’s for rehab.
It has nothing to do with them and neither does your income - unless it’s associated with a loan or similar credit line...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TheGreenwolf » 12 Jul 2019, 1:59 pm

im running a business not 2nd hand trading.

you need to keep your accounts inline.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jul 2019, 2:23 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:im running a business not 2nd hand trading.

you need to keep your accounts inline.

I’m also running a business and the main associate bank account is in my name, not my business name. Not once, ever - has a bank asked me, in regards to what/how Credits are generated...I’ll say it - something doesn’t “appear” to be adding up here or...there is negative history of some description, or loan associated with business or something...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TheGreenwolf » 12 Jul 2019, 3:56 pm

no its got nothing to with anything like that, some banks/insurers are more fussy than others is all it comes down to.as i said saint george is all good, paypal, afterpay and as someone mentioned westpac and NAB....but others are not. and other people in other industries have faced this same sort of problem.

some banks and insurers care, and some do not is what i am saying.

there is no hidden loans or any bull. they have told me strait up this is the reason. and i know people who own adult stores and they say the same thing, its due to the nature of their business.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jul 2019, 4:11 pm

But why would you even bother to tell them when opening an account? They don’t ask...I’ve got accounts opened for my kids.
If what you say is true - Get their formal policy that pertains to your business outputs - and lodge a discrimination case with ombudsman...because if it’s true that it’s not associated with loans etc, then they are breaking the law...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Jul 2019, 4:27 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I'm finding is a little hard to believe, how are they discriminating against you are they refusing to take your money , or refusing to allow you to open an account with them.

If / when Ive taken $10k out - they ask me why - I say I need it for drugs...next time..I say it’s for rehab.
It has nothing to do with them and neither does your income - unless it’s associated with a loan or similar credit line...

:lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Jul 2019, 5:01 pm

brett1868 wrote:Westpac even gives me 10 days paid sporting leave to compete in State, National or International competitions. Management are fully aware that I'm a competitive shooter and have been extremely supportive with time off over the previous 5 years.

That's awsome Brett, a way better deal than that fella from Goodyear got.
http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/lates ... -a-shooter
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 13 Jul 2019, 3:07 pm

Lowlife thieving ba$tards illegally imposing their left wing crap on their betters.
They would love to push the "cashless society"for total control, the state would love it too, more tax receipts.
With what is happening regarding the social media controllers blatantly censoring dissent I could see a bloke who annoyed them being sent away to sit hungry in a cold dark house to reconsider his attitudes.
"Sorry there is an issue with your account, we will get to that sometime soon".
Note that a Telstra fault took out Coles & Woolworths and a bunch of other retailers EFT on Friday, great system.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Jul 2019, 5:42 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Lowlife thieving ba$tards illegally imposing their left wing crap on their betters.
They would love to push the "cashless society"for total control, the state would love it too, more tax receipts.
With what is happening regarding the social media controllers blatantly censoring dissent I could see a bloke who annoyed them being sent away to sit hungry in a cold dark house to reconsider his attitudes.
"Sorry there is an issue with your account, we will get to that sometime soon".
Note that a Telstra fault took out Coles & Woolworths and a bunch of other retailers EFT on Friday, great system.

I was in the supermarket at the time - it was literally out right chaos...fights, screaming, yelling, stealing...it was unbelievable.
In fact, it made me kinda sit back and reassess how easily our society could come down - I have NEVER seen ppl acting like this. Because there were ATMs near supermarket - manager thought he was smart and told ppl to go to non associate ATMs to get cash...dick didn’t understand that a CBA account still has to go via CBA...
About 2% had cash...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Jul 2019, 6:25 pm

Lol I nearly always have cash..

Every time the supermarkets shut for a day like Christmas the day before its mayhem as well
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Jul 2019, 7:38 am

Ziad wrote:Lol I nearly always have cash.

Same...

I've seen the EFT fall on its a$$ a few times now.

I generally like to keep around $400 cash.
That should cover fuel and food for the family for a week if needed (Hold the lobsters, French champagne and imported caviar)

After watching what happened in Grease when people couldn't access their money, I'm tempted to stash a little more aside for a rainy day.

With Australia's track record of providing a stable network connection, and power supply, we'd be mad to go cashless. :crazy:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2019, 9:30 am

I agree 1000% but the push to go cashless is building so fast...

There are a lot of places down here that will not take cash - and don’t get me started on the phone pay / watch pay crap.

How about now group certificates now - all of my industry now will not provide group Certs...they go straight to the ATO and to access them you have to have a myGov account...and THAT system is down more than a hookers panties on payday.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Jul 2019, 4:44 pm

The group certificate is push via ATO.... getting businesse to do their work for them.

I probably have a hissy fit if they tell me they don't take cash. But what does scare me is Google and Facebook...esp Facebook wanting to have access to financial records and have their own cards...its not id I don't want to use Facebook card...but as a bank thru can access my details and spending habits even without my having an account with them
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Jul 2019, 10:52 pm

Spending habits can't be tracked when your using cash.

Any buisnes that doesn't accept cash won't be getting my buisnes, new age hipster freaks.

The biggest killer of cash is us not using it. The convenience of cards, tap n go, pay wave, use ya drink bottle to pay and all that rubbish is killing cash.

Bring on the next big solar flare to wipe it all out :lol:

Keep cash alive, pull it out and use it.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2019, 11:10 pm

Try hiring a car, getting an airline ticket, any form of insurance, buying freight logistics...try paying your child support in cash or your ATO bill lol...there was a bakery near me that tried cashless for a while,
They even have parking meters in some places that are not set up to take cash...it’s coming and I fear there won’t be much we can do because each generation moves further into automation...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation