Black powder lube

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Black powder lube

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 29 Jul 2019, 9:06 pm

Tank wrote:It’s a modern myth the whole grease over cylinder idea.....and the reason I quit shooting percussion revolvers in competition. You won’t find evidence of it being used back in the day....

Oh ok thats interesting, I know I've seen it written that that was the traditional way to lube but can't say I looked into it. Why did that being a modern myth cause you to stop using percussion revolvers in competition?
Kelsey Cooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Jul 2019, 9:12 pm

I've got another patch lube to add to the mix. Someone here might know what it is.

I'm not exactly sure what it is but it's labeled, solvent and patch lube and was sold to me by Green river Rifle Works in SA

It smells like ammonia, is watery, yellow in colour and has soapy feel.
Screenshot_20190729-203456_Gallery.jpg
Mystery substance
Screenshot_20190729-203456_Gallery.jpg (461.95 KiB) Viewed 61 times

I find it definitely keeps the soot soft and I can load all day long without the need for a clean.

Other than that, sometimes I use a beeswax, lard, neatsfoot oil blend ... it's also good on my leather boots, home brew dubbin, :thumbsup:
I find it better for pre-lubing patches,

The only other black powder specific thing I've got is another unknown blend "Gun Oil"
Smells like turpentine, is watery, brown in colour and separates into 3 distinct layers when left to rest... I'm guessing oil of some kind, turpentine, and paraffin oil, wax or lard???
20190729_203152.jpg
20190729_203152.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 61 times

Screenshot_20190729-203507_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190729-203507_Gallery.jpg (475.81 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand.

on_one_wheel LIVES LEFT: 3..BONUS POINTS: 8

Did my post offend you? If you answered yes, send me a PM and I'll direct you to the nearest safe space.
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 31 Jul 2019, 6:13 am

I've got both of them on one wheel
bigpete
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

South Australia

Previous