Bugger the blue light.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Bugger the blue light.

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Jul 2019, 11:24 pm

In the USB port on my shooting platform there is an inbuilt (bright) blue diode light.
At night it is way too bright, and I hate it.

Can anyone suggest how I can destroy the light without destroying the USB outlet itself ???

I've tried black insulation tape, but it keeps peeling off :thumbsdown:
I've also tried black paint, but it won't stick to the plastic face :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Bugger the blue light.

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jul 2019, 11:46 pm

The easy tear 50 mm rolls of gaffer tape from Bunnings have muck better adhesion than standard duct tape or electrval rape .......they do tend to leave white sticky residue when removed but so what. .....at Bunnings there is even a type of duct tape that is supposed to leave no residue but I would be steering clear of that .....if ever I’m doing some building demo where I have to improve the safety of some electrical work / wires I have been known to tie it up with gaff a tape. I have since been informed that genuine electrical tape is a good insulator but other tapes are not and some actually conduct electricity ......anyway my sparky goes nuts at me for useing gaffs tape because it sticks everything together so well that it’s a nightmare to remove. Die. I’m in the same boat as you. I have left bris , camped at Inglewood and heading bush for a weeks hunt in the morning ...there are some dash lights on my quad that are messing with my night vision so I’ll be onto that tomorrow
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jul 2019, 5:22 am

Blr243 wrote:The easy tear 50 mm rolls of gaffer tape from Bunnings have muck better adhesion than standard duct tape or electrval rape

Everybody should always have this Bunnings 50mm black tape on hand, I used it for decades to tape cameras on my race bikes, fantastic stuff.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Jul 2019, 6:19 am

I’m in the air con/ sheet metal game , and I’ve always got a roll of “duct tape “ handy . Very jealous of you blr, ;) good luck with ya hunt and enjoy every moment of being bush

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Jul 2019, 11:56 am

I also find that every switch and plug in my 4x4 is so bright that it's annoying.

Their hell bent on using high intensity led lights in everything now... even if that bright blinding light isn't needed.

Someone should start a trend of using the old style led lights in switches, enough light to see it but not so much that your night vision gets destroyed.

Black paint , or rapeseed to be the easy option.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by flutch » 27 Jul 2019, 3:31 pm

nail polish
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jul 2019, 4:52 pm

Hey DJ mate if you don't want to ever use the light then I used super glue and black food colouring on plastic in my boat a few yrs ago it'll stick to anything but you have to mix it fairly quickly but it works well but no good if you want to use the light later as the glue burns into the plastic
Member-Deleted

Post by GQshayne » 27 Jul 2019, 7:37 pm

I had the same problem. I broke the "light" which was only a cover and made no difference, as it was an LED. I pulled the socket apart, and found the LED in the circuit board. I broke the LED with a sharp point and a small tap on it, and no more light. Socket still works.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Jul 2019, 3:16 am

Hi all,, the solution (if you'll pardon the pun) seems the best idea so far, I'll try it.
Sounds much easier than trying to do the cutout for the plugs through black Bunnings duct tape.

I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 28 Jul 2019, 7:10 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Hi all,, Granddads solution (if you'll pardon the pun) seems the best idea so far, I'll try it.
Sounds much easier than trying to do the cutout for the plugs through black Bunnings duct tape.

Well I thought my idea of disabling the LED was reasonable. :sarcasm:

If that sounds a bit complicated for you, I have another option. The blue light cover is just a bit of plastic, and is a long way from the printed circuit board. Just dig it out, and put a dob of black silicone in the hole.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Jul 2019, 7:37 pm

GQshayne wrote:Well I thought my idea of disabling the LED was reasonable. :sarcasm:

If that sounds a bit complicated for you, I have another option. The blue light cover is just a bit of plastic, and is a long way from the printed circuit board. Just dig it out, and put a dob of black silicone in the hole.

I readily admit I'm as dumb as dawg sh!t when it comes to electronics, and not knowing for sure what is involved behind that "bit of plastic" I thought I'd err on the side of caution.
Besides, time wise it'd be quicker with the super glue potion whipped up.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 29 Jul 2019, 7:32 pm

Big gap behind the blue cover, so you can rest easy. Bright little buggers though, that is why I disabled mine.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation