One off weird questions - member nos

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

One off weird questions - member nos

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Jul 2019, 3:41 pm

Seem to be a large no of 1 off questions of late and then the person asking never returns...
I understand this helps contribute to forum no’s and statistical data - but have the mods ever thought of putting a gateway question into the membership activation to rule out the true wankers?
On a bike forum I visit - you couldn’t post in any threads until a word count was recorded in the tell us about you thread - worked week and meant 95% of members who could be bothered passing this “gate” went on to be real world contributors...

Just a suggestion.
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1908
Tasmania

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jul 2019, 4:02 pm

I see what you mean. I’m ok with one off questions because sometimes we need answers that we just can’t seem to get with googling .....and the type that need answers are not necessarily the type to spend random time on a forum as we do...... but they should definitely take the time to express their thanks and appreciation of the time it takes for replies. That’s just basic manners
Blr243
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 681
Queensland

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Jul 2019, 4:15 pm

My conspiracy cap says that least some of the incidents I refer too, are - detractors, testing the waters...advice...etc - for responses that would be likely used elsewhere.

No issues with one off questions but when nearly every answer involves a request of - type of shooting, currently owned forearms, etc - why not force an introduction ? Then if ppl are legit - they can say in their mandatory introduction- just here to get a Q answers...
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1908
Tasmania

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by Ziad » 31 Jul 2019, 4:35 pm

Hi, I want to get a 80cal bazooka, can you olde ppl please tell me if I can get a 30 round drum magazine for it. Also can someone please tell me why the people at firearm registry didn't send me my license I just sent the paperwork yesterday... they are so inconsiderate.

Is that the type of questions you asking about tassie?
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1405
Victoria

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Jul 2019, 5:00 pm

Ziad wrote:Hi, I want to get a 80cal bazooka, can you olde ppl please tell me if I can get a 30 round drum magazine for it. Also can someone please tell me why the people at firearm registry didn't send me my license I just sent the paperwork yesterday... they are so inconsiderate.

Is that the type of questions you asking about tassie?


That’s it!!!!!!
And the ones like - “I’m hunting next week - can I shoot towards ppl if they are more than xxx away?”
“I’m new to the scene - where can I buy illegal weapons?”
“I’ve just moved to Vic, tell me your deer hunting places...?”
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1908
Tasmania

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jul 2019, 5:08 pm

TassieTiger wrote:“I’ve just moved to Vic, tell me your deer hunting places...?”


Sheesh, Id like a quid for every time that has been asked.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 5587
Victoria

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jul 2019, 5:55 pm

I do see some advantages to mandatory introduction before posting, but I'm not a fan of it.
When I stumble upon a forum it's usually because I'm scraping the barrel trying to find the answer to a problem, so that's what's on my mind at that time, not messing about writing an intro, and then waiting to be able to ask my question. And if it turns out to be not the forum for me, why would I want an introduction planted on it if I'm unlikely to ever return? I prefer to get a feel for the forum before offering up personal information.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 6010
Victoria

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Jul 2019, 6:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:I do see some advantages to mandatory introduction before posting, but I'm not a fan of it.
When I stumble upon a forum it's usually because I'm scraping the barrel trying to find the answer to a problem, so that's what's on my mind at that time, not messing about writing an intro, and then waiting to be able to ask my question. And if it turns out to be not the forum for me, why would I want an introduction planted on it if I'm unlikely to ever return? I prefer to get a feel for the forum before offering up personal information.


Would you join a forum without reading detail, without getting the gist of the members first? I certainly wouldn’t but - hey, I must have missed a few of Stixs posts as I still joined lol jk!

Maybe I’m missing the point of forums in general...
The two issues for me with drifters;
Some are no doubt anti gun brigade looking for evidence/info to twist.
And I think some common courtesy is warranted where senior members take the time to answer questions - only to never see South African joe blow ever again...

There is another motorcycle forum I visit that seeks $2-$5 a year - to literally keep drifters out and it works remarkably well. Those members that do hang help grow the community because they feel more Involved with each other. But hey - I respect everyone’s opinion. Suggestions come and go.
:drinks: Nothing to see here, move along
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1908
Tasmania

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Jul 2019, 6:10 pm

How many guns can I stockpile ?

How much ammunition can I amass ?

I have a lenghty criminal record, what loopholes can I jump through to acquire my gun license?

Once I've got my license, can I buy ammo for my mates illegal .45 auto

Where's the box to tick where I can select conceal carry.

We've almost seen it all here, antis fishing for loopholes, looking for sketchy FA owners to spill the beans on what shady stuff we can get away with.... possibly even FAR testing the waters here and there.

Still, the best ever answer to BS questions has to go to Big fella, you bloody legend. :clap:
Calling it as you see it, without bearing around the Bush :drinks:
Screenshot_20190731-164247_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190731-164247_Chrome.jpg (210.37 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand.


on_one_wheel LIVES LEFT: 3..BONUS POINTS: 8

Did my post offend you? If you answered yes, send me a PM and I'll direct you to the nearest safe space.
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2459
South Australia

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by Stix » 31 Jul 2019, 6:14 pm

... ...
Last edited by Stix on 02 Aug 2019, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Major
Major
 
Posts: 2943
South Australia

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by bigrich » 31 Jul 2019, 6:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:“I’ve just moved to Vic, tell me your deer hunting places...?”


Sheesh, Id like a quid for every time that has been asked.


good hunting spots are like good fishing spots, they are secret ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 2513
Queensland

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jul 2019, 7:10 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Would you join a forum without reading detail, without getting the gist of the members first? I certainly wouldn’t but - hey, I must have missed a few of Stixs posts as I still joined lol jk!

Maybe I’m missing the point of forums in general...
The two issues for me with drifters;
Some are no doubt anti gun brigade looking for evidence/info to twist.
And I think some common courtesy is warranted where senior members take the time to answer questions - only to never see South African joe blow ever again...

There is another motorcycle forum I visit that seeks $2-$5 a year - to literally keep drifters out and it works remarkably well. Those members that do hang help grow the community because they feel more Involved with each other. But hey - I respect everyone’s opinion. Suggestions come and go.
:drinks: Nothing to see here, move along


Yes, I don't mind signing up to forums if it's required to see what it's about, I signed up to lots of shooting forums when I was getting back into shooting, before I settled here.
Forums have a huge advantage over FB and other social media. The ability to find information that was posted years earlier. On FB it's difficult to find something I read just a few hours earlier due to the filtering that comes with it. If you've already seen something, FB can sometimes guess that you don't want to see it come up again. I have no problem responding to questions regardless of the intent of the asker, as long as the information is online where others can find it when they're searching.

But I think some modern people struggle with forums, having grown up with social media instead.

I am technically still a moderator at Fireblades.org (since 2003), but bikes are in my past now unfortunately, so I rarely go there.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 6010
Victoria

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Jul 2019, 9:25 pm

Yes, I don't mind signing up to forums if it's required to see what it's about, I signed up to lots of shooting forums when I was getting back into shooting, before I settled here.
Forums have a huge advantage over FB and other social media. The ability to find information that was posted years earlier. On FB it's difficult to find something I read just a few hours earlier due to the filtering that comes with it. If you've already seen something, FB can sometimes guess that you don't want to see it come up again. I have no problem responding to questions regardless of the intent of the asker, as long as the information is online where others can find it when they're searching.

But I think some modern people struggle with forums, having grown up with social media instead.

I am technically still a moderator at Fireblades.org (since 2003), but bikes are in my past now unfortunately, so I rarely go there.[/quote]
Small world - I used to be a member at fireblades, bladezone, bladeRR, cbr900rr, etc...started with the 93 tri colour, then I had a beautiful 95 tiger with full race cams and ported head - kept that for, then the injected 929 and contemplated a 954 but one ride on the Suzuki k1 and I changed instantly. I still have a K3 1000 track bike - it’s a powerhouse comparable to today, bar modern electronics and keep Ktm SDR GT for road duties...but riding days are dwindling now...

Just a note on FB - I’m not a member and never will be. A good friend of mine had his firearms confiscated - I can only go on his word and he says it was because of photos and videos he posted on FB that were not consistent with his licence conditions...I don’t know if that is fa t or if he did something idiotic without my knowledge but I’d be careful regardless...ie - if you have target shooting as ownership reason and then you put a video on fb of shooting targets in the Bush...theoretically your breaching conditions....
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1908
Tasmania

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jul 2019, 10:32 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Just a note on FB - I’m not a member and never will be. A good friend of mine had his firearms confiscated - I can only go on his word and he says it was because of photos and videos he posted on FB that were not consistent with his licence conditions...I don’t know if that is fa t or if he did something idiotic without my knowledge but I’d be careful regardless...ie - if you have target shooting as ownership reason and then you put a video on fb of shooting targets in the Bush...theoretically your breaching conditions....


I don't think you can blame FB for that, anything you post online _anywhere_ is public knowledge, posting illegal stuff online is just plain stupid. There was a moron on FB a couple weeks back posted photos to a FB group of his under-12 kid holding a shotgun, along with the statement that "he's too young to legally shoot". Some people define their own level of stupid. Basically, don't do illegal stuff, and if you do, don't tell anybody.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 6010
Victoria

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by mickb » 01 Aug 2019, 9:09 am

bladeracer wrote:
Yes, I don't mind signing up to forums if it's required to see what it's about, I signed up to lots of shooting forums when I was getting back into shooting, before I settled here.
Forums have a huge advantage over FB and other social media. The ability to find information that was posted years earlier. On FB it's difficult to find something I read just a few hours earlier due to the filtering that comes with it. If you've already seen something, FB can sometimes guess that you don't want to see it come up again. I have no problem responding to questions regardless of the intent of the asker, as long as the information is online where others can find it when they're searching.

But I think some modern people struggle with forums, having grown up with social media instead.

I am technically still a moderator at Fireblades.org (since 2003), but bikes are in my past now unfortunately, so I rarely go there.


Im with Bladeracer on this. I use forums rather than facebook, for the referencing aspect. I also use forums as one-off posts if I need info quickly. I also don't mind helping new guys with answers, happy to do a lecture post- When I am sitting at the computer I am only rotting my brain for an hour or two anyway so I don't mind using it as exercise to blow out cobwebs on memories or things I did in the day. If the guy fails to reply I haven't lost time or money.

Interestingly when the internet started the first forums were formed by experts or hardcore enthusiasts seeking each other out. The type of people who had spent a while researching their hobby, usually had snail mail contacts, club memberships internationally etc and grasped the internet with both hands. It was pure subject matter, like being on a frontier, and anyone logging on was welcomed. Then the average bloke turned up after a few years in his droves, and forums became more like 'towns'. You got experts, regular folks, trolls, guys who just wanted to shoot the bull and also the peasants with pitchforks checking out any new guy in town. :lol:
mickb
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 374
Other

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by Aster » 01 Aug 2019, 11:06 am

Hey Tassie,

I understand your points.

As a general philosophy, I would say that creating barriers to entry is never a desirable thing.

I'd sure a 'gateway' post does filter a few fly-by-night signups, I'd say with near certainty though that it would also be deterring some users who, in time, could go on to be valuable contributors. It cuts both way.

The catch-22 in attempting to quality-screen potential members is that you can't know if someone will make a second post, unless you let them make a first, obviously.

Inevitabley there are going to be some short-lived memberships, but I don't have a problem with genuine one-off questions. Even if the OP never comes back, the information is there for future members, so does good.

No system is perfect, but I'd rather let a few questionable ones through that have to be removed later, than miss out on the corresponding loss of quality signups by more aggressive filtering.

As always, if something looks suspect use the reporting functionality to let us know and we'll make a call.
See you on the firing line.
User avatar
Aster
Moderator
 
-

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by bladeracer » 01 Aug 2019, 11:18 am

mickb wrote:Interestingly when the internet started the first forums were formed by experts or hardcore enthusiasts seeking each other out. The type of people who had spent a while researching their hobby, usually had snail mail contacts, club memberships internationally etc and grasped the internet with both hands. It was pure subject matter, like being on a frontier, and anyone logging on was welcomed. Then the average bloke turned up after a few years in his droves, and forums became more like 'towns'. You got experts, regular folks, trolls, guys who just wanted to shoot the bull and also the peasants with pitchforks checking out any new guy in town. :lol:


I love the analogy :-)
When I joined Fireblades.org in 2003, I was around the 1600th member from memory. When I stopped taking active part (due to no longer being able to ride), we had, I think, over 60,000 members, and moderating was becoming a full-time job. I just checked and they currently have 78,538 members - that's four times the population of Surfers Paradise. It certainly puts you in contact with all types :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 6010
Victoria

Re: One off weird questions - member nos

Post by landyvlad » 01 Aug 2019, 11:55 am

Moderating a forum as it grows huge can be a nightmare.. I was mod on a major vehicle forum for many years.
A forum of >25,000 members (>5,000 active daily) and 2.4 million posts, takes a whole team of (volunteer) moderators to keep on top of.
.
landyvlad
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 3
Queensland

Next

Back to top
 
Return to Off topic - General conversation