And another thing...... Cat Stevens......

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

And another thing...... Cat Stevens......

Post by CrackThump » 01 Aug 2019, 6:44 pm

Cat Stevens...

Cat Stevens changed his name to Yusef Islam..

Converted to islam..

CONVERTED.. TO.... ISLAM....

a totalitarian ideology that decreed that singing in public is a sin and punishable by death.

I mean really..... am I the only one who thinks that *insert politically incorrect statement that being braindead is a pre-requisite to anything remotely religious*

Except for Jesus... he da bomb.. (obviously)
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Re: And another thing...... Cat Stevens......

Post by bigrich » 01 Aug 2019, 6:58 pm

great musician , lots of good songs . as to why he chose that path is one of life's unfathomable mysteries :unknown: :crazy:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Aug 2019, 7:13 pm

bigrich wrote:great musician , lots of good songs . as to why he chose that path is one of life's unfathomable mysteries :unknown: :crazy:

Yep; back in the day there was a rocker called Little Richard, who as the story goes, embarked on the study of theology, after seeing Sputnik1 fly over head. You would think there was more to it than that but that is all we were ever told :unknown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 01 Aug 2019, 7:56 pm

G'day Wm.Traynor,
That story about Sputnik is purely apocryphal. It is only a coincidence that Little Richard cut short his Australian tour to study Theology at the same time as Sputnik launched. He himself said in his autobiography that it was the plane flight out, seeing the engines overheat and feeling that "angels were holding the plane up", that caused him to return to the Pentecostal roots of his childhood (His Father was a preacher, his Mother an active Baptist, a very religious household) His conviction that he needed to return to the Church was reinforced by the plane he was due to fly home on at the end of the tour crashing, and making him believe it was "Gods Will" that he be Reborn. Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 01 Aug 2019, 9:40 pm

Islam was more tolerated back in the day. Afghanistan itself was a destination for hippy road trips in the 60's. .I remember even growing up in the 80's no one really cared about muslims. We knew they treat their women like crap and shot poofs etc but 30 countries including christians in africa give cliterodectomies to kids(cutting out female genitalia), not to mention the real fear at the time was communism and nuclear war, muslims were just 'meh'.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by xDom » 01 Aug 2019, 9:53 pm

mickb wrote:Islam was more tolerated back in the day. Afghanistan itself was a destination for hippy road trips in the 60's. .I remember even growing up in the 80's no one really cared about muslims. We knew they treat their women like crap and shot poofs etc but 30 countries including christians in africa give cliterodectomies to kids(cutting out female genitalia), not to mention the real fear at the time was communism and nuclear war, muslims were just 'meh'.

Yep, I grew up in the 80’s as well.. According to the Rambo movie s the Muslims were way down the list of baddies. In fact, I don’t think they were baddies at all. A bunch of freedom fighters standing up to them nasty Ruskies. That’s why it was the right thing to do to train em up and give em heaps of guns and stuff. In fact the number #1 mussy bad man, Saddam Hussein was considered the “go to good guy” in Middle East. That’s why it seemed to make sense to supply him with Chemical weapons..

Now you’ve got the boss of the yanks kissing arse to the Russkie boss and saying bad things about Muslims. I dunno?!?
Last edited by xDom on 01 Aug 2019, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Aug 2019, 10:00 pm

Your not the only one who's left wondering about that level of hypocrisy.

Like when you see a western woman on tv flaming someone for speaking out about Islam, and describing it as "discrimination" ... All the while sitting there with her face exposed, her clitoral intact, breath reaking of bacon, speaking publicly and using words that would have her stoned to death under Islamic law...
A woman efending the most oppressive religion against women :unknown:

How about Anthony Mundine He went and converted to, he probably figgured it would offend people :lol:

I also love how people who aren't afraid to speak our against Islam are labeled as "Racist"
Since when was Islam a race?
That's simply how the left operate ... shout someone down and give them a label that most people would avoid getting to discourage others from speaking out.

Thanks for getting me started!

Anyhow... cue the leftard Islamic sympathisers to chime in and stand up for the religion of peace. :thumbsup:
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 01 Aug 2019, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 01 Aug 2019, 10:08 pm

Big fan of Cat Stevens and went to a local show where the bloke doing it worked through his life and songs and apparently at some point when he was famous he tried to swim out in the ocean and drown but he he seen the lord and converted to Islam.It was a good show and the impersonator did a good job
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 02 Aug 2019, 10:35 am

xDom wrote:
mickb wrote:Islam was more tolerated back in the day. Afghanistan itself was a destination for hippy road trips in the 60's. .I remember even growing up in the 80's no one really cared about muslims. We knew they treat their women like crap and shot poofs etc but 30 countries including christians in africa give cliterodectomies to kids(cutting out female genitalia), not to mention the real fear at the time was communism and nuclear war, muslims were just 'meh'.

Yep, I grew up in the 80’s as well.. According to the Rambo movie s the Muslims were way down the list of baddies. In fact, I don’t think they were baddies at all. A bunch of freedom fighters standing up to them nasty Ruskies. That’s why it was the right thing to do to train em up and give em heaps of guns and stuff. In fact the number #1 mussy bad man, Saddam Hussein was considered the “go to good guy” in Middle East. That’s why it seemed to make sense to supply him with Chemical weapons..

Now you’ve got the boss of the yanks kissing arse to the Russkie boss and saying bad things about Muslims. I dunno?!?

Very astute xdom, the Muslims were the wests friends back then, and many still technically are( Saudi, UAE, Kuwait etc all good trading buddies). The USA build Iran's military for them after WW2, then the relationship went sour and they armed Saddam to get Iraq to go to war with Iran lol. They armed the Afgnani mujahadeen to kick out the soviets as you say, then support pakistan( by proxxy the taliban, a pakistan party) to defeat the Mujahadeen. And then invaded the Taliban 8 years later :lol:

All I can say is its tough being a US arms client, the idea is you get as much as you want, but so does the enemy and invasion may be just around the corner for both of you. :lol: I worked in half the countries above, they whole thing is a work.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Aug 2019, 11:28 am

No1Mk3
Thanks for the "update" ;) :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Aug 2019, 7:49 pm

He's a good singer.. one of the great voices.

He didn't sing for many years ..... but back on the concert rounds singing ton stadiums full of people... he's still a Muslim..... tells us we don't know much
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation