cant say fairy anymore

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: cant say fairy anymore

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Aug 2019, 8:56 am

Some teachers should not be teachers...power tripping towards your 10 year old is not on.

I have literally just had a huge run in with a teacher myself over the way they were teaching maths.

Here is one for some ppl...

What is the answer to this easy equation - don’t cheat, you will spoil the party, which one is correct ?

2 + 2 x 3 = 12 ?
2 + 2 x 3 = 8 ?

TT
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Aug 2019, 9:29 am

TassieTiger wrote:Some teachers should not be teachers...power tripping towards your 10 year old is not on.

I have literally just had a huge run in with a teacher myself over the way they were teaching maths.

Here is one for some ppl...

What is the answer to this easy equation - don’t cheat, you will spoil the party, which one is correct ?

2 + 2 x 3 = 12 ?
2 + 2 x 3 = 8 ?

TT

The good old order of operation would have the answer as 8
2+(2×3)
2×3=6
2+6=8

Let me guess ... that's discrimination now?
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 03 Aug 2019, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand.

on_one_wheel LIVES LEFT: 3..BONUS POINTS: 8

Did my post offend you? If you answered yes, send me a PM and I'll direct you to the nearest safe space.
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Aug 2019, 9:35 am

Yes - but the argument the teacher and I had was that an equation can never be written like that without brackets...which was insane.
My 11yr old became insanely confused and now hates maths.

Interesting - pop that equstionninto a calculator and you get different results depending on the calc.

Sorry - to derail thread. Just...some...teachers....
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Aug 2019, 9:46 am

TassieTiger wrote:Yes - but the argument the teacher and I had was that an equation can never be written like that without brackets...which was insane.
My 11yr old became insanely confused and now hates maths.

Interesting - pop that equstionninto a calculator and you get different results depending on the calc.

Sorry - to derail thread. Just...some...teachers....

When following the rules of bodmas, brackets aren't always necessary.
They are essential when you are asked to work the equation in a different order...
(4+7)×5 =55
4+7×5=39

In the absence of brackets, bodmas must be assumed.

Did my post offend you? If you answered yes, send me a PM and I'll direct you to the nearest safe space.
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Aug 2019, 10:06 am

Based on my observations and discussions on this point with others - I’ll bet there are a few confused ppl who read this ...
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Aug 2019, 10:06 am

It's a shame he's not enjoying maths, it's the most useful thing you can learn at school other than social interaction.

I hated school, but enjoyed maths... It was my favorite subject along side agricultural studies.

Most teachers aren't great at giving real life examples of how tricky math problems apply in the real world, this leads kids to become disinterested. Probably because most teachers lack genuine life experience.
Too much time in uni, they should be made to get a job outside of school for a few years to gather real life experience.

Little Johnny "But Sir, when are we ever going to need to use algebra when we grow up"? ... Teacher "stand in the corner and be quiet!".

My math teacher in year 8 was awsome, he was old, enthusiastic and could give great real life examples.

on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 03 Aug 2019, 10:42 am

I'd be really interested in the teachers explanation of Baa, Baa Black sheep? I've got a paddock full of 'em.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 Aug 2019, 11:02 am

The way i understand algebra is brackets first, then multiplication/division, then add/subtract.

But if no brackets, still do multiplicatiin/division first...

Having said that...i think i got the answer wrong first time... :lol:

Having said that, your kid should not be confused, nor should ge be feeling confused, because the way i see it is the teacher should be teaching him...

There are patterns to everything...a systematic approach if you prefer...thats how we learn our times tables with repetitive rythmic poetry...and there's-look right-left-then right again to cross the road...
Just like us checking a chamber for safe & empty...

If you're taught correctly, or teach yourself correctly, these patterns become second nature to pretty much all people who dont have a real time learning difficulty.

An intuitive teacher should understand this & can find these 'patterns' & teach kids, not just dictate when they're wrong without an understanding explanation...

In any case...mathmatics has been taught for a long time now...proven systematic approaches would be well documented, so if your lad hates maths ( & doesnt have a severe learning difficulty), that teacher needs to have his methods evaluated...!!
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 03 Aug 2019, 1:23 pm

so I googled how the name got changed as allthegearandnoidea suggested and what a laugh
the gay community see it as unnecessary and ridiculous, some of the gay groups seem to have got offended by the name change
gold coast sea world have a bit to answer for I think http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1615908/posts

here is a comment from the 2006 herald sun sunday article I agree with, 2006 thats how long for the name change, I live in a bubble :lol:
"I just don't understand why the vast majority seems to cave to the less than 3% of our population. In Aussie land it seems they don't even wait for a complaint. Amen."

and that's right the gay community didn't even get asked if they were offended by the name or not :unknown: it makes them look delicate
I'm still having a chuckle about the teacher who I will be contacting monday :lol:
marksman
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Ziad » 03 Aug 2019, 1:55 pm

And who remembers the PC wording for .... inny minie minie mo....catch a $$@@# by its toe

Edit.... even this forum is getting into PC...jk but the new word is tiger
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Aug 2019, 9:00 pm

Tell em to f*** right off with that crap!
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by Daz243 » 03 Aug 2019, 9:39 pm

My kids said that the last couple of years of high school they couldn't call a black board a black board or a white board a white board. They had to be called a chalk board and a marker board.
Daz243
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by grandadbushy » 04 Aug 2019, 12:44 am

When I was a kid at school the maths like the ones above was 2+3x4=20 or 2+(3x4)=14 the sum was done from left to right unless there were brackets then there was
2+3+(4x2)=13 or 2+3+4x2=18 that's the way I was taught but when my kids went through school it was all different same as black board , white board, fairy penguins, black sea TV show over the black dot, the black hole labour was supposed to pour money into it's all political correctness gone mad but for a teacher to reprimand a child for saying a word as small as fairy is total BS this is one of the reasons some parents get into conflict with teachers in my day my grandad would have showed that teacher what humiliation was all about but mind you if we were at fault we were shown as well
grandadbushy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Aug 2019, 6:53 am

bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2019, 9:01 am

grandadbushy wrote:When I was a kid at school the maths like the ones above was 2+3x4=20 or 2+(3x4)=14 the sum was done from left to right unless there were brackets then there was
2+3+(4x2)=13 or 2+3+4x2=18 that's the way I was taught but when my kids went through school it was all different same as black board , white board, fairy penguins, black sea TV show over the black dot, the black hole labour was supposed to pour money into it's all political correctness gone mad but for a teacher to reprimand a child for saying a word as small as fairy is total BS this is one of the reasons some parents get into conflict with teachers in my day my grandad would have showed that teacher what humiliation was all about but mind you if we were at fault we were shown as well

There was a kid's show on years ago that annoyed me.
There is fundamental difference between "ten square metres", and "ten meters square", but this show insisted on kids pronouncing "m2" as "meters square" when they were doing calculations of square meters.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Aug 2019, 5:36 pm

How the hell are the kids going to go when it comes to wanting "Fairy Bread" :D
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by Stix » 04 Aug 2019, 7:14 pm

bigfellascott wrote:http://images.app.goo.gl/MJw9LbD7ZKWGe29G9

Thats highly offensive & im going to report you...!!
(On behalf of all gum trees...and their nuts)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Aug 2019, 8:51 pm

Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:http://images.app.goo.gl/MJw9LbD7ZKWGe29G9

Thats highly offensive & im going to report you...!!
(On behalf of all gum trees...and their nuts)

:lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
General
General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation