Polar Vortex

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Polar Vortex

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2019, 6:57 pm

Who here has been playing in the Polar Vortex :D

[img]https://i.imgur.com/6c[img]

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Polar Vortex

Post by albat » 11 Aug 2019, 7:38 pm

Where's that Scott, looks great! Was hoping for some of that on my Vic high country hunt in 3 weeks time
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 Aug 2019, 7:59 pm

SSheepers...!!!

Ive never...ever...seen snow...(in real life)...

I just shoot rabbits in the Mallee...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2019, 8:34 pm

Central Tablelands of NSW mate - it snows here 3 or 4 times a year on average, this was a good dumping of the white stuff, last 2 or 3 cold fronts haven't really produced much but this one made up for it.

Now all we need is some decent rain and all will be great again (the dams way down on what it has been) no doubt it will fill again sooner than later (hope so anyway).

I just hope my guttering stays where it should be (looking a bit dubious at the moment in some spots) so might be in for some repairs once the snow melts, see what happens I guess. We were only supposed to get 7-10cm but we got around 40cm and snow drifts up to 1m deep.

And as for tourists well we had plenty of those too, one bloke spun his 4wd hilux around down the main street, thought he could drive in 2wd which ended in the arse end getting damaged. Then you get the locals who try and drive their 2wd vehicles only to end up in the gutters. I heard a few sirens going earlier on in the afternoon which is never a good thing to hear, hope whomever it was they were going to wasn't too badly hurt.

We've had trucks jackknifing here and there and trucks that got stuck on hills and couldn't go up em or down em due to lack of traction (I think the worst year a few years back had around 12 trucks stranded around the local roads in one day) not to mention the tourists who insist that they have to head back to Sydney and get stranded not far out of town and repeatedly attempt to get back after being told by police and rescue personnel that it's impossible to do but they keep trying and end up getting fined for being so stupid.

People are slow learners at times I guess.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wanneroo » 12 Aug 2019, 1:11 am

Cool, always love seeing pictures of snow.

Summer is on your way though. Here the temp dropped to 10C last night and I notice a few leaves are starting to turn and some of the vegetation is starting to dry out. Another few weeks and we will start seeing more color on the trees. It's still summer but I just noticed a slight enough change.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Aug 2019, 5:52 am

wanneroo wrote:Cool, always love seeing pictures of snow.

Summer is on your way though. Here the temp dropped to 10C last night and I notice a few leaves are starting to turn and some of the vegetation is starting to dry out. Another few weeks and we will start seeing more color on the trees. It's still summer but I just noticed a slight enough change.

Yep it won't be long before we are back into the 40 deg days over summer, I much prefer winter over summer myself, I can rage up the wood heater to keep warm and it only costs me a bit of time and effort and a few $$ for fuel and chains and you can run it 24/7 unlike a gas or electric type heat which cost some serious $$$ if you run it 24/7.

Enjoy winter mate, I look forward to our next one too! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wanneroo » 12 Aug 2019, 10:26 am

bigfellascott wrote:

Yep it won't be long before we are back into the 40 deg days over summer, I much prefer winter over summer myself, I can rage up the wood heater to keep warm and it only costs me a bit of time and effort and a few $$ for fuel and chains and you can run it 24/7 unlike a gas or electric type heat which cost some serious $$$ if you run it 24/7.

Not a big summer fan myself unless I am at higher elevations. Here in the mountains, this weekend it was 22-25C during the day and about 10-14C at night, which is perfect. This week I have to drive 500km south to near sea level and it will be humid and close to 40C, not my thing.

I usually time my trips for down under for around May and most of the time have had reasonable weather. Wouldn't mind trying August-September sometime.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Aug 2019, 8:27 pm

wanneroo wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Not a big summer fan myself unless I am at higher elevations. Here in the mountains, this weekend it was 22-25C during the day and about 10-14C at night, which is perfect. This week I have to drive 500km south to near sea level and it will be humid and close to 40C, not my thing.

I usually time my trips for down under for around May and most of the time have had reasonable weather. Wouldn't mind trying August-September sometime.

That's more like it, much more tolerable. :thumbsup: As for Aus, it can be cold as a bitch one end and hot as hell the other, you just need to find somewhere with the temps you like and you'll be sweet. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Off topic - General conversation