Any moon phase enthusiasts amongst us ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Any moon phase enthusiasts amongst us ?

Post by Blr243 » 17 Aug 2019, 3:54 pm

When I switched to sleeping during the day and Useing thermal to hunt at night I quickly learned that any amount of moonlight was detrimental to my stalking in close range They were seeing me approach. I’ve started wearing strictly dark clothing and booking my week long hunts on new moons ( no moon visible ) this only gives me 4 or 5 dark nights. Towards the beginning and end of my hunting trips I am haveing to deal with about an 1/8 of a moon and even that amount of illumination is troublesome so I started looking at the rise and set times Off course a full moon does not bother me if it’s on the other side of our planet when in in the field at night between 6 pm and dawn the next morning There’s tons of tables on the net where you can punch in the location date year etc when u are looking for moon rise/ set info I noticed that ( to my benefit ) there seemed to be direct correlation between the dark week that I sought and the moon rising at roughly dawn and setting roughly at dusk ....this is great because the little bits of moon I have to deal with are less troublesome if they are visible during the day when I’m not hunting anyway ....I’m not one to just accept info. I tend to want to know why. Can anybody tell me why , when a new moon is happening that it’s always rising and setting during our daylight hours ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Any moon phase enthusiasts amongst us ?

Post by Bill » 17 Aug 2019, 5:16 pm

Yeap always target big bream a few days after a full moon, apparently they go off the feed and spawn, then back on the Chew, works for me
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 17 Aug 2019, 5:30 pm

Bill wrote:Yeap always target big bream a few days after a full moon, apparently they go off the feed and spawn, then back on the Chew, works for me

Three days before and after mate is what I use. As we know though, fishing isn’t an exact science.
As for hunting, I just go when I can, in saying that BLR, I can see your point regarding the thermal hunting. Makes sense mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 17 Aug 2019, 6:34 pm

I do the 5 days before and after with port phillip bay snapper but do go when I can, If I see flies buzzing around in the backyard in the season I'm gone
with regard to hunting at night if the moon is about I still look for the shadows to walk in, I have hunted under moonlight and seen animals going all over the shop
I have found animals more timid while the moon is about
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by hunting99 » 17 Aug 2019, 9:17 pm

I find the moon makes a lot of difference when I’m deer harvesting, using thermal and NV. When the moon is out they see you a lot easier and are a lot more timid. So I try to make sure that it is a new moon or close to it, or overcast. As well I stay in the shadows as much as possible.
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation