The best socks ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The best socks ?

Post by Blr243 » 29 Aug 2019, 4:08 pm

Hunting , trade work or otherwise. I prefer holeproof explorers. They cost but I think I get better comfort from them. Has anyone found anything better ? ( my climate is Brisbane)
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: The best socks ?

Post by GQshayne » 29 Aug 2019, 7:36 pm

Yep, I am interested too.

I always used explorers, but jeez they are expensive now. Get what you pay for I suppose. I have bamboo work socks, which are very comfortable, so last trip I decided to wear them while walking. Never again- blisters!!!!!! Very surprised, but they were no good for walking.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Aug 2019, 8:03 pm

:D Im stuck in explorers.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 29 Aug 2019, 8:24 pm

Explorers used to be good. made in china now. If you check the wool in them you'll be able to feel that they are made from the dags.
ask a shearer.

There is a sock producer in NSW that make merino socks. dear as poison, one of the last manufacturers in Australia i believe.

here you go.

https://www.lindnersocks.com.au/our-story.html
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 29 Aug 2019, 10:34 pm

I pulled on a brand new set of explorers this arv and they immediately felt like trash. As if they had changed .....nothing shoots me more than when A tried and trusted reputable company starts dishing out garbage to make more coin , So there must be something in what u said about being made in China now
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Aug 2019, 4:39 am

Explorers have been rubbish since they stopped making them here and moved to China. I basically lived in them for work (steel cap boots) and pleasure (hunting and every other thing!) Explorers now shrink and go rock hard when you wash them and wear holes in the toes very quickly. Recently the Mrs bought me a pair of King Gee socks which are supposed to be a bamboo blend, and I like them very much. At the same time she also got a couple of pair called "Durasock" which are also a bamboo sock and these look, feel and wear like the old Explorer, moreover they don't seem to stink as much after 4 days in the bush. Give them a try, you may be pleasantly surprised, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 30 Aug 2019, 6:29 am

Good tips here - been looking for an alternative to explorers and for the same reasons.
Who’d have thought foot frangers meant so much to so many....
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 30 Aug 2019, 11:51 am

I'm following too. I'm still wearing some original explorers from ~2007 which are standing up better compared to the new explorers i got for xmas this year !
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Aug 2019, 1:49 pm

Llama wool socks - I only have one pair at $35 but they are brilliant.
Explore socks are ok but sweaty to me and they don’t wick away moisture - which at the end of the day feels s**t.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stoney » 30 Aug 2019, 5:55 pm

I absolutely have to agree. I have 2007 explorers that ARE STILL HOLEPROOF but just worn down. Bought a heap of new ones in 2015 because the previous ones were so good, but they went into the bin less than a year later. Globalism, does it actually bring any benefits to the masses? Not at all.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Aug 2019, 6:42 pm

Thanks for the tips fellas. I might splash out and get maybe three pairs of super flash ones. And keep em strictly for hunting. That’s were I do most of my Klms Sounds like I was right about the slack feel I got when I pulled on a new set of explorers the other day
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 30 Aug 2019, 7:24 pm

Some of those Lindner socks are as low as $19, which is less then explorers last time I looked. Not too bad in comparison. As BLR says, with limited use, they will last a long time.

Might have to invest in some myself. Interested in a review from you when you get them BLR!!!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Aug 2019, 7:37 pm

And I thought this thread would be about gunsocks.

Normal foot socks I hate paying more than 5/6 bucks, change em. everyday be happy.

Part of globalisation is why companies move overseas... one is it's cheaper to make em there. Consumers don't really value Australian made and thus not willing to pay a premium for it. Lastly cuz people want to pay less... have a look at kmart... selling $6 t-shirts.... that last a month.. but they sell em by the container load while good quality stuff no one pays 4
Last edited by Sergeant Hartman on 30 Aug 2019, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Aug 2019, 7:54 pm

You can still find quality but you have to pay for it...most ppl won’t pay $25-$50 for a pair of socks - especially 18 year olds who dump all sorts of fluids within..
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Wombat » 30 Aug 2019, 9:22 pm

Creswick Mills does some great but expensive socks. Cheaper if you buy them direct at the Mill.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 30 Aug 2019, 9:42 pm

Ive got possum fur socks from NZ they are good in winter but if hiking for days id skip. I brought some explorers one was perfect other elstic went kept falling down. Ive got fair few bamboo socks now some comfy as anything others cheap ones are fine but keep loosing fluff of inside.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by albat » 31 Aug 2019, 5:26 pm

Dexshell waterproof breathable socks expensive but keep your feet dry even when your boots are soaking
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 31 Aug 2019, 5:33 pm

Kmart worksocks. . 2 pair for $6 ... they still give you that "ooohhhh.. brand new socks" feeling on the first wear.. they wear out not THAT much quicker than expensive socks, and theyre cheap to replace when they go manky..

I work with sweaty feet as a daily routine, so it doesnt really matter how much I spend on a pair, they rot and go through the heels all at about the same rate...

Kmart Cheapies for the win. !!
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Sep 2019, 5:46 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Explorers have been rubbish since they stopped making them here and moved to China. I basically lived in them for work (steel cap boots) and pleasure (hunting and every other thing!) Explorers now shrink and go rock hard when you wash them and wear holes in the toes very quickly. Recently the Mrs bought me a pair of King Gee socks which are supposed to be a bamboo blend, and I like them very much. At the same time she also got a couple of pair called "Durasock" which are also a bamboo sock and these look, feel and wear like the old Explorer, moreover they don't seem to stink as much after 4 days in the bush. Give them a try, you may be pleasantly surprised, Cheers.

I noticed thst too. Blamed the Mrs for not washing them right !
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 01 Sep 2019, 7:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:Explorers have been rubbish since they stopped making them here and moved to China. I basically lived in them for work (steel cap boots) and pleasure (hunting and every other thing!) Explorers now shrink and go rock hard when you wash them and wear holes in the toes very quickly. Recently the Mrs bought me a pair of King Gee socks which are supposed to be a bamboo blend, and I like them very much. At the same time she also got a couple of pair called "Durasock" which are also a bamboo sock and these look, feel and wear like the old Explorer, moreover they don't seem to stink as much after 4 days in the bush. Give them a try, you may be pleasantly surprised, Cheers.

I noticed thst too. Blamed the Mrs for not washing them right !

Lol...no wonder she calls you a winger... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 02 Sep 2019, 8:03 am

The Bamboo socks we get in Australia are actually Rayon made from Bamboo rather than using Bamboo fibres like Linen uses Flax. Cloth can and is made from Bamboo similarly to linen, however its a relatively expensive process.
They are still good socks, better than Explorers but the cheap Chinese "Bamboo" socks we get are Rayon. .
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 02 Sep 2019, 7:22 pm

I will never wear bamboo socks again for hunting. When they got wet they were very smooth, and I think this is why I got blisters from them. Next time I am near an outdoor store I will have a look at some hiking stuff and see what they have.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 02 Sep 2019, 8:48 pm

Kuiu socks $25 on special atm! - Catch is...$25 freight
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 02 Sep 2019, 10:31 pm

All wool for me now. I wear them everywhere in all seasons. You will pay a good price for them but I work in them, bushwalki and hunting. I tend to wear the heal out of them after a good while but I think that is just the way I walk/ shoes/ whatever.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation