The best socks ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The best socks ?

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Sep 2019, 5:46 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Explorers have been rubbish since they stopped making them here and moved to China. I basically lived in them for work (steel cap boots) and pleasure (hunting and every other thing!) Explorers now shrink and go rock hard when you wash them and wear holes in the toes very quickly. Recently the Mrs bought me a pair of King Gee socks which are supposed to be a bamboo blend, and I like them very much. At the same time she also got a couple of pair called "Durasock" which are also a bamboo sock and these look, feel and wear like the old Explorer, moreover they don't seem to stink as much after 4 days in the bush. Give them a try, you may be pleasantly surprised, Cheers.

I noticed thst too. Blamed the Mrs for not washing them right !
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 01 Sep 2019, 7:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:Explorers have been rubbish since they stopped making them here and moved to China. I basically lived in them for work (steel cap boots) and pleasure (hunting and every other thing!) Explorers now shrink and go rock hard when you wash them and wear holes in the toes very quickly. Recently the Mrs bought me a pair of King Gee socks which are supposed to be a bamboo blend, and I like them very much. At the same time she also got a couple of pair called "Durasock" which are also a bamboo sock and these look, feel and wear like the old Explorer, moreover they don't seem to stink as much after 4 days in the bush. Give them a try, you may be pleasantly surprised, Cheers.

I noticed thst too. Blamed the Mrs for not washing them right !

Lol...no wonder she calls you a winger... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 02 Sep 2019, 8:03 am

The Bamboo socks we get in Australia are actually Rayon made from Bamboo rather than using Bamboo fibres like Linen uses Flax. Cloth can and is made from Bamboo similarly to linen, however its a relatively expensive process.
They are still good socks, better than Explorers but the cheap Chinese "Bamboo" socks we get are Rayon. .
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 02 Sep 2019, 7:22 pm

I will never wear bamboo socks again for hunting. When they got wet they were very smooth, and I think this is why I got blisters from them. Next time I am near an outdoor store I will have a look at some hiking stuff and see what they have.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 02 Sep 2019, 8:48 pm

Kuiu socks $25 on special atm! - Catch is...$25 freight
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 02 Sep 2019, 10:31 pm

All wool for me now. I wear them everywhere in all seasons. You will pay a good price for them but I work in them, bushwalki and hunting. I tend to wear the heal out of them after a good while but I think that is just the way I walk/ shoes/ whatever.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation