so tired of quality issues.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: so tired of quality issues.

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 01 Sep 2019, 10:38 am

First post, hey guys I've been reading a lot but thought I'd chime in and also ask a question.

As an electrician, I find the dwindling quality of most light fittings unacceptable for me to supply and install, so much so that I greatly prefer to lose the revenue stream from markup on wholesale pricing and instead ask my customers to buy their own junk for me to install. I even pass up on ceiling fan jobs completely and just tell them to buy a Dyson air blade or similar.

So, for my first rifle I was really wanting a Lithgow Arms LA102. Do you guys know if the quality control issues have been resolved? I'd love to support local manufacturing.
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 01 Sep 2019, 4:29 pm

Bill wrote:mickb I was curious to see what this double badger thingo was, interesting but straightway Im think holy crap 243 on that smallish frame.

How did the 243 shoot ?

Hi mate, I dont think the chiappa does 243, mine was a 22LR over 410. The issue was oversized firing pin at an angle. As usual chiappa has some novel and attractive designs. It has decent wood, folds completely in half so its main advantages over the other combo guns aka Savage, is it need no dissassembley and can fit into a 25litre day pack. Just unfold when needed and fire. Chiappp are the masters of oddball or hard to find stuff, folding guns, spencer carbines, takedown lever actions, they do a triple barrel shotgun and also were one of the companies who had an early chop at 1887 lever action shotguns when they first became popular.

The problem is the quality control. I don't want to get sued online but the issues I have had and the fact some gunstores aren't dealing with them is enough for me now. One classic example is the 56-50 spencer carbine which is a 50+ cal lever gun from the 1860's that has the 7 shot magazine running through the buttstock.. Absolute drool material if you are a civil war buff or just like big lever guns. I looked into it and thankfully found an entire subforum on a large international site dedicated just to these guns. The amount of problem threads on feeding, barrel rifling, bore variations, chambering, its sometimes a gunsmith rebuild to get the guns working out of the box. These are 2.7-3k guns btw new. The original guns on the site bring up less problems lol, in fact I was advised by Aussies on the site its better to import a 150year old original if I want less problems.

Slightly separate rant but part of the same overall issue
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bill » 01 Sep 2019, 5:31 pm

thanks mate sounds like they just didnt get the design right from the get go
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 02 Sep 2019, 12:34 am

There are still quality brands and items out there but I find you have to do a lot of research to find the "pro" tool that will hold up to use.

Here in the US the gun market is so competitive and since no one has an attention span anymore, gun manufacturers are constantly looking for the next trick, so the customer is now the research and development team, so recalls and warranty work are often common.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Off topic - General conversation