Who's superstitious when it comes to hunting ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Who's superstitious when it comes to hunting ?

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Sep 2019, 1:31 pm

Well here we go,,, The moon is heading to being full on Friday 13th

Anyone superstitious here ?
:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Who's superstitious when it comes to hunting ?

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Sep 2019, 1:59 pm

I tell myself Im not superstitious - but then end up doing weird stuff and telling myself Im an idiot....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 12 Sep 2019, 2:55 pm

Ah...full moon on Frida 13th is a great night for hunting eith those Winchester Silvertips...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 12 Sep 2019, 3:47 pm

Mostly I just stick to the facts. But there’s something special and magical or haunting / spooky about how a wild dog/ dingo can just suddenly appear up close And then just magically vanish into the bush agan without a sound as quick as he arrived
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Sep 2019, 6:16 pm

Yeh, I am. Everytime I plan to go hunting it blows a gale or pisses down. Or there is a family or work drama. So I have to cancel. :violin:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 12 Sep 2019, 6:25 pm

aww , c'mon fellas , ya being silly . but i'd stay away from abandoned summer camps built on old indian burial grounds , just to be sure . and those winchester silvertips sound like a good thing stix :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 12 Sep 2019, 6:37 pm

Lol. I used to think if I picked up a feather and put it in my hat or the hood of my bow quiver,it would bring me good luck....:D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Sep 2019, 6:55 pm

Lol. I had a rabbits foot when i was a kid. Many moons ago.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 12 Sep 2019, 7:18 pm

Dont worry mate We will go on a hunting trip and i will get you all sorts of bunny bits already detached from the body.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 12 Sep 2019, 7:33 pm

traditionally I find the nearest cow pie and walk through it before heading out to slam a deer

a few people have laughed at my custom but some started to do it themselves when I put one on the deck and they dont :thumbsup: :drinks:

TBH its more about replacing the scents on my feet/volleys :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Sep 2019, 10:38 pm

Not having a single superstitious bone in my body,, I went out to one of the newly aquired shooting properties tonite for 2 hours.
Tally was 9 (unnamed) and 4 hares

Property owner is happy,,, but on the way home I thought,,,,,,,,, Wow, that was 13 shots. on the 13th and with a full moon. Ooooooooh ahhh,,,,,

:lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Sep 2019, 11:36 pm

If I have walked or waited any length of time without firing a shot, like more than one hour, I like to dump the ammo and reload it - doesn't matter if it is a box mag or internal stack.- not 100% sure what the magical thinking is behind that habit... probably a mixture of 'easing springs' in the belief it will avoid a future stoppage, and trying to break a dry spell if i haven't fired a shot... makes no sense but i feel better about it
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Sep 2019, 11:39 pm

I'm definitely not superstitious but I can tell you things do happen I once worked on a property up in the gulf and one of our indigenous stockmen ( and a very nice fellow he was ) had a bad fall from his horse so eventually we got him to a strip and flew him to cairns hospital that night the indigenous females started crying and howling I questioned the head stockman and he said something was wrong so he fronted the indigenous stockman and he informed us that the injured stockman in cairns had just passed so there you go 500mls away and us with no contact to anybody how did they know that makes you wonder doesn't it They later informed me they knew because of the way the curlews were crying
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Sep 2019, 9:50 am

Yep, these things really do happen,,,, but if i may, I will say that it's not superstition,,,,,, it's "knowledge" that white people simply don't know about.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 14 Sep 2019, 11:00 am

I also have a theory....not so much a superstition....but if you miss something 3 times,it deserves to live.....no more shots after that,just watch it walk or run away,and give yourself a kick up the bum
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 14 Sep 2019, 1:58 pm

bigpete wrote:I also have a theory....not so much a superstition....but if you miss something 3 times,it deserves to live.....no more shots after that,just watch it walk or run away,and give yourself a kick up the bum

thats a good attitude to have :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation