For those who cut steel

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

For those who cut steel

Post by Blr243 » 21 Sep 2019, 8:14 am

Bunnings are selling dewalt ten packs of 125 mm mini discs for angle grinders. Nine dollars That’s very cheap. On the container are the words FAST CUT. I paid no attention to this marketing. But after useing them they are the fastest cutting disc I have ever used. And they last. They zip through steel fence pickets like nothing. They are probably a promo so won’t be around for long ..I could be in sales
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: For those who cut steel

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Sep 2019, 11:05 am

G'day mate,
Are these 19 or 25mm centers? Being 5" I would think are 25mm, is this correct? Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Sep 2019, 11:23 am

Well as atradesman who has a trade account with them, i try & avoid that place on weekends...

Nothing sh1ts me more than having to wait at the trade counter for 10 mins because Gertrude & her wana-be tradesman husband Tarquin decided they'd go through the trade check-out with a trolley full of "potted colour"...& argue about the price not being what was written on the ticket & so have to wait for an available staff member to do a price check---400 bloody metres away in the garden section...all because the highly experienced register operator doesnt know how to suspend a sale....GGGRRRHH....!!!!!

Gees...my blood pressure is up already...!!!

:lol:

Looks like ill have to brave it--hopefully its the same sale down here--i just looked in my grinder bag on Thursday & only have 2 discs left, so i better top up for a steel gate job coming up...

Thanks BLR... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pete1 » 21 Sep 2019, 12:44 pm

I get different brand for free through work not as good but i dont have to pay for discs so im laughing. But if i left this job i think id definitely give them a go
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2019, 1:32 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day mate,
Are these 19 or 25mm centers? Being 5" I would think are 25mm, is this correct? Cheers.

I have never worried about the centre hole, you can widen it with a centre punch and just centre it over the shaft, used hundreds and hundreds of them with zero problems.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 21 Sep 2019, 1:51 pm

Glad to hear the info will b of use to some. Arbor size is22.23 mm Remember the old days with 100 mm corded grinders and we had to use bushes half the time depending on what discs we bought. That drove me nuts. Now all cordless grinders and their discs have the one arbour size Thank god. Some Bunnings staff are fine but others should only be allowed to water the plants in the nursery
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2019, 1:55 pm

Blr243 wrote:Glad to hear the info will b of use to some. Arbor size is22.23 mm Remember the old days with 100 mm corded grinders and we had to use bushes half the time depending on what discs we bought. That drove me nuts. Now all cordless grinders and their discs have the one arbour size Thank god. Some Bunnings staff are fine but others should only be allowed to water the plants in the nursery

We used cutting discs in a variety of grinders and circular saws, all different sizes, which is why I never worried about the hole size.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 21 Sep 2019, 3:32 pm

If you get really lousy (like me) the 14” chop saw has a notch in the guard at 9” diameter, the now 9” wheel goes in the 9” angle grinder which has a notch in the guard at the 4 1/2” point where the wheel goes into the little angle grinder. The 14” wheel ends up a 2” diameter before it goes in the bin.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2019, 3:40 pm

Noisydad wrote:If you get really lousy (like me) the 14” chop saw has a notch in the guard at 9” diameter, the now 9” wheel goes in the 9” angle grinder which has a notch in the guard at the 4 1/2” point where the wheel goes into the little angle grinder. The 14” wheel ends up a 2” diameter before it goes in the bin.

Same as I've always done :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Sep 2019, 7:47 pm

Hey BLR...Got a pic of the advertisment or the receipt handy...?

Went in there today & couldnt see any Dewalt disks...

Maybe its only in "beautiful one day yahda yahda" land...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 21 Sep 2019, 7:50 pm

Hey i googled it & found this...

"DeWALT 125 x 1.1mm Extreme Runtime Metal Cutting Disc"

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dewalt-125- ... c_p6260410

Bloody $7.EACH...

ill get you to grab me a few packs & pay post at that rate...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 21 Sep 2019, 8:25 pm

Stix. Not sure what that 7 dollar pic meant but When I clicked on the link you sent it directed me to another page selling the pack of ten for nine bucks I have two stores local to me. One has stock. One doesn’t. So if u can’t get any where u are just let me know and I’ll sort it. But I will have to do it soon if u want any because I have to go hunting on Tuesday
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Sep 2019, 8:31 pm

I’m a carpenter but my hobby has always been in steel I made My own 1200 mm flashing folding machine , and I have hole punching equipment, metal shearing gear , welders of all sorts 2 lathes and 2 milling machines A flat Flat bar bending machine as well and yes occasionally I do get in trouble with my neighbours for grinding too early on a Sunday morning but I’m very good at supplying meaningful apologies
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Sep 2019, 10:10 pm

Just a little off topic but still relevant.

Among various other things, I work with radio telecommunications.
Some of the guys I work with, work in a car/truck/trailer repair area near by. They are often welding, cutting steel, changing brakes, etc.

The radios I service are not used in the workshop - and don’t get any closer than say 50-100m.

Couple years ago, we migrated to a water proof hand held mic for radios and within 6 months, I had reports of failures...
On pulling these mics down - what I found was that the magnetic ring on the speaker (in mics) was completely gunned up, with tiny, tiny ferrous metal shavings - no doubt air born.
I was gobsmacked how much material had made its way into what is effectively a ip66 rated mic (99%) sealed...

Wear your ppe folks - protect your lungs when metal working for long times...this s**t floating in the air, no doubt came from our workshops - it can and will be asborbedin the lungs and can and will go rusty...I don’t know what that ultimately means to a human lung but it can’t be great. Fibre masks are 10c each...a lung replacement? Priceless...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 21 Sep 2019, 11:39 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Just a little off topic but still relevant.

Among various other things, I work with radio telecommunications.
Some of the guys I work with, work in a car/truck/trailer repair area near by. They are often welding, cutting steel, changing brakes, etc.

The radios I service are not used in the workshop - and don’t get any closer than say 50-100m.

Couple years ago, we migrated to a water proof hand held mic for radios and within 6 months, I had reports of failures...
On pulling these mics down - what I found was that the magnetic ring on the speaker (in mics) was completely gunned up, with tiny, tiny ferrous metal shavings - no doubt air born.
I was gobsmacked how much material had made its way into what is effectively a ip66 rated mic (99%) sealed...

Wear your ppe folks - protect your lungs when metal working for long times...this s**t floating in the air, no doubt came from our workshops - it can and will be asborbedin the lungs and can and will go rusty...I don’t know what that ultimately means to a human lung but it can’t be great. Fibre masks are 10c each...a lung replacement? Priceless...

Hmmm...funny...actually...not so funny you say that...
I had yesterday off to go to a funeral of a builder friend who died from not being able to breathe...
Silicosis...
Kunt of a thing...
He was calliing on me to do more & more of his jobs...& last i spoke with him was from his hospital bed...he had to hang up after just 3 mins of conversation cos he was literally out of breath...so ofcourse i said "dont up n die on me ya old bastard--ill come & see you in 2 days...he said nah ill be out & going home tomorrow...,

He came out alright...in a fukn bag... :thumbsdown: .Cant believe it...just like that he's not here... :thumbsdown: :cry: :unknown:

After a hug at the funeral the first words out of his Wife's mouth to me were..."you do the same work so make sure you wear a mask Stix"...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 21 Sep 2019, 11:51 pm

Anyway...back to the disks...

Whats your postcode BLR...?...or the store...?

I tried to put a few QLD postcodes into that bunnings page but no cheapies... :unknown:

Wonder if its a state or store thing...

And you've done plenty of hunting lately...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Sep 2019, 7:31 am

When you goto a get a CT scan they ask you if you do any metal work wedding, angle grinding etc.

I always get a 12 tin of Makita discs, they work great and were cheap, they have gone up in price but still were the cheapest, but ill look at these next time i am there
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 22 Sep 2019, 8:21 am

Postcode 4122. And I’m not hunting at all but Wednesday night that will b very different ,,, die judici is stirring me up with photos of boars and cats and I’m climbing the walls
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 22 Sep 2019, 10:03 am

Stix wrote:Hey BLR...Got a pic of the advertisment or the receipt handy...?

You didn't look very hard...

A quick look has them listed at Parafield and Prospect around Adelaide. Don't know your Postcode so searching is just a guess so I'm not going through all the Bunnings around Adelaide..

Item # 0116713

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dewalt-125- ... k_p0116713
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 22 Sep 2019, 11:48 am

My two local stores are now both out of stock of these promo packs so I will keep an eye out in my travels ..
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Sep 2019, 12:36 pm

Apollo wrote:
Stix wrote:Hey BLR...Got a pic of the advertisment or the receipt handy...?

You didn't look very hard...

A quick look has them listed at Parafield and Prospect around Adelaide. Don't know your Postcode so searching is just a guess so I'm not going through all the Bunnings around Adelaide..

Item # 0116713

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dewalt-125- ... k_p0116713

Ah righto...thanks for that...

I suck at this internet searching thing...i typed in what i typed in--there are only so many ways to spell something or write a phrase...& if search on my mobile with exact same words i get very different results...& still NO dewalt 10 packs... :unknown:

Thats why i asked for an advert or link...

I was in there yesterday & there were NO dewalt disks to be seen--but ive changed the store to the one i was in & it says they have em in stock...

Buggered if i know...

Ill go there soon & grab a couple packs...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 22 Sep 2019, 1:12 pm

The last store I checked had a heap so I grabbed them all and now they are out of stock. I now have enough discs to cut my way out of prison make myself deaf in both ears and blind in both eyes
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Sep 2019, 1:38 pm

Gees BLR...how old are you...?...being a tradesman & not being deaf you must be young...!!

I just rang the store & they have them--i must have walked straight past them yesterday because naturally they are not with the normal cutting disks... :crazy:

But thats Bunnings & there store layout marketing for ya... :clap:

How many packs did you get BLR...??...i figure i should get as many as you did... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 22 Sep 2019, 2:28 pm

Fifty yrs. but for some reason I feel about 25 I don’t really get adulthood , maturity responsibilities and settling down , I think I already had about ten packs and I bought maybe 15 more this morning I figure I’m always going to be useing them and they are only ever going to become more expensive....glad you found them in your store
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Sep 2019, 3:06 pm

Well thanks very BLR...you just cost me a green piece of plastic...!!!

I only got 5 packs & one for a mate to try......but now i wonder if i should get more...

My el-cheap 5" masonry blades ive had for a good while & they took a beating the other week when my quick cut decided to stay asleep so they cant have too much more life left so i also grabbed a twin pack of 5" segmented masonry blades--the individual price was $25 but the clearance price on the promo twin packs was $19...hopefully thats me for 5' grinder blades for good while...

Next time i need to buy more blades ill probably have a fit at the price... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 22 Sep 2019, 5:22 pm

U know when u have pushed a minidisc too far or twisted it wrong and it disintegrates with big and small parts everywhere? I bought some minidiscs from Aldi once and they were scary. Flew apart all the time over nothing. I threw them away because I was too scared to use them ..., I should have actually wrote to them suggesting they take them off the market for safety reasons.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Sep 2019, 5:56 pm

I was going to try the Aldi discs as they had them not long ago...but i diidnnt entirely like the look of them...

The last few metal cutting disks i have left are from a big commercial cladding company over here that i did some work for...

I used them pulling an old & very well built deck apart a litle while ago & id only get one or two 8mm or 10mm bolts cut & they would break a big chunk out of the disc but it would still stay attached...wouldnt want that in my leg...
Im lucky they largely held together that day...but i can turf the last 2 or 3 i have now..
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Sep 2019, 6:33 pm

Noisydad wrote:If you get really lousy (like me) the 14” chop saw has a notch in the guard at 9” diameter, the now 9” wheel goes in the 9” angle grinder which has a notch in the guard at the 4 1/2” point where the wheel goes into the little angle grinder. The 14” wheel ends up a 2” diameter before it goes in the bin.

The differing diameter and thickness of discs all have an rpm rating per size disc,,,,, for a very good reason.

I had a neighbor once that ignored such and ended up in the emergency dept wearing half a disc stuck into his skull.
It required surgery to remove it, and the doctors were amazed that he was lucky enough to survive.
The disk simply separated into two halves due to the wrong speed.

He said that he'd used disks on various sizes of angle grinders for years,,,,, but never again after that happened.
He looked like a roman centurion gone horribly wrong. :crazy:

Your life isn't worth saving a few cheap arse bucks that way.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Sep 2019, 9:15 am

I bought 5 packets, thanks blr should lay me a year i think.

I did leave 1 on the shelve just invade someone really wanted them, and paid 9 bucks per box
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Sep 2019, 3:42 pm

That’s so nice of you ziad , thinking of other people. I just grabbed the whole lot for myself from the Lismore store and the Mt Gravatt store. Nasty son of a bitch I am
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation