Inadequate sentencing?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Inadequate sentencing?

Post by No1_49er » 23 Sep 2019, 10:18 am

2019 09 20 News-Mail - Bundaberg_Stolen guns_1.jpg
Inadequate sentencing?
2019 09 20 News-Mail - Bundaberg_Stolen guns_1.jpg (470.84 KiB) Viewed 2915 times

I know that you folks will love this - NOT!

If you are sufficiently incensed by this apparent failure of our judiciary, perhaps you should suggest that there be an appeal.
I have voiced my opinion to the Qld. Attorney General!

Note that, at the time of the court case, two of the pistols had not been recovered and that another one had been used to shoot someone.

Why does it appear that LAFO's are dealt to with a very heavy hand, but the unlicensed/criminals receive a slap with the proverbial wet bus ticket? :wtf:
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Inadequate sentencing?

Post by sungazer » 23 Sep 2019, 10:35 am

The guy that had them stolen from him would face a harsher sentence than that if he just forgot to put one back in the safe for a night. There are just so many laws that this guy broke from start to end It is nearly unbelievable outcome. Obviously under 18 which would be the big factor. If it was heard in the children's court you would never even know anything happened. Which I somewhat believe in. Stupid behavior when your young should wreck an entire lifetime leaving you the only option of welfare and crime.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 23 Sep 2019, 10:45 am

There’s no penalties or consequences for youth crimes these days, which is why some of them run amuck. They know their doing wrong, and hiding behind their youth. There should be harsher punishment. For stealing a loaf of bread let’s deport them to Australia ! Oh hold on ..... :lol: . Nah , seriously, their not dumb, they know the law and how to manipulate it . Lots of crime syndicates use juveniles to commit offences cause they get off , Example, feeder associated clubs for bikie gangs

JMHO
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Sep 2019, 12:44 pm

give him a 6yr stint in the army that will take some of the stupidity out of him then parole him we are treated as potential criminals just being a gun owner yet he is a criminal and gets away with it then there is the thing of we don't want to destroy their future lives now being so young but a line has to be drawn because of the effort he and his mates took to break into the guns then I think he is already a criminal and already on his way to destroying his life by himself
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 23 Sep 2019, 12:49 pm

Haha...

Amazing...truely amazing...!!!

Probably cost him less than a speeding fine...

I wonder if the sentence was as simple as "go away & be a good boy now"...
Surely there has to be some level of loading up the responsibility & forcing this d**khead to take ownership of what he's done...!...surely...!!!... :unknown:

Never-the-less, as its presented here, the result is abhorrent to say the least...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Sep 2019, 1:30 pm

It's a pity we can't put that on twitter or facebook, to show the rest of the world. I tried but they wanted me to subscribe. Channel Nine lets me tweet stuff from their website and I assumed it would work in this case but apparently not :?:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Sep 2019, 1:58 pm

I’ll just put this one here:
https://www.examiner.com.au/story/63444 ... ed-parole/

Ps - absolutely good on you 49 for contacting our puppet masters. More ppl need to show their outrage.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Sep 2019, 3:08 pm

So could we (general populace) use this as a precedence ?

ie: cop a $200 fine for speeding or whatever,,, and then go to court and plead a case of comparison to the judiciary.

:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Sep 2019, 3:21 pm

Just read the newspaper print,,,,,,,,,,,

WOW,,, a "tree lopper"

I bet the little mongrel used his work skills to climb up through a window to gain access.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Sep 2019, 4:13 pm

I too registered my disgust at the leniency handed out in court, as a LAFO
Via an online complaint to the office of Attorney General regarding the attending Judge and the guidelines that he may have to work by.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by trekin » 25 Sep 2019, 5:43 am

For those writting to the QLD AG, you might like to quote this;
Sections 14 and 15 of the QLD Criminal Code Act:

14 Stealing firearm for use in another indictable offence
If—
(a) the thing stolen is a firearm; and
(b) the offender steals the firearm intending that it be used
by anyone to commit an indictable offence;
the offender is liable to imprisonment for 14 years.

15 Stealing firearm or ammunition
If the thing stolen is a firearm or ammunition, the offender is
liable to imprisonment for 10 years.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 25 Sep 2019, 12:35 pm

Well we had RC into the banking sector and not 1 theiving lying gromet went to jail...
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Sep 2019, 3:46 pm

Hmm i have been thinking.

A petty criminal, and a drug user. Send him to jail, where he can still get all his drugs, and create links with other criminals..aka jails are classed as criminal university. But more so we spent 80+k per year to keep someone in jail.

Send him to the army, do you really think the army is a good place to hold their hands, what if he doesn't want to wake up or sue the army when he got injured doing his morning PT.

My solution, bring sharia law, you steal something, off with your hand, you steal twice... won't be able to steal 3rd time.
So you like drugs... lets send you to a proper third world jail... or better yet learn from the British send them to an island in the middle of nowhere give em a tent and air drop some food once a week. Idealy a mining island... work to earn their food... and the prison system makes a profit .

Hahaha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by tophet1 » 25 Sep 2019, 5:49 pm

Unfortunately juvenile law has as a priority rehabilitation not punishment. If you want to apply adult penalties you will have to change the law. Good luck with that as most voters endlessly vote Nat/Lib or Labour.
tophet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Sep 2019, 6:22 pm

Umm is there even an option in poor electoral system... except in part in the Senate. It is called 2 party preferred system
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by trekin » 26 Sep 2019, 3:46 am

tophet1 wrote:Unfortunately juvenile law has as a priority rehabilitation not punishment. If you want to apply adult penalties you will have to change the law. Good luck with that as most voters endlessly vote Nat/Lib or Labour.

Nowhere in that article does it state his age, either at the time of the offence or trial. In fact, the defence tried to use his complition of year 12 as evidence of good character, this means he would have to have been aleast 17 YO, which in QLD means he would be charged, convicted and sentenced as an adult. Even if he was under 17 at the time of the offence, he has been tried as an adult, and therefore should be punished as one. Juvenile court cases are not allowed to be reported in the media, and in particular, their names are not to be published.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Sep 2019, 7:18 pm

trekin wrote:
tophet1 wrote:Unfortunately juvenile law has as a priority rehabilitation not punishment. If you want to apply adult penalties you will have to change the law. Good luck with that as most voters endlessly vote Nat/Lib or Labour.

Nowhere in that article does it state his age, either at the time of the offence or trial. In fact, the defence tried to use his complition of year 12 as evidence of good character, this means he would have to have been aleast 17 YO, which in QLD means he would be charged, convicted and sentenced as an adult. Even if he was under 17 at the time of the offence, he has been tried as an adult, and therefore should be punished as one. Juvenile court cases are not allowed to be reported in the media, and in particular, their names are not to be published.

Good point Brother :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 26 Sep 2019, 8:10 pm

:cry: I can't believe that idiot judge. No wonder this world is going down the toilet.
The morons in the judicial system will crucify us for the slightest mistake which in most cases wouldn't amount to a crime if Australia's gun laws weren't over the top to begin with (like being sprung with a few rounds in the glove box), but they will let the kid off for doing something he flat out knew was wrong and knowing full well what possible results of the sale of the guns could be ( like stupid little wanna be gangsta shoot out in a KFC car park. or other bs along those lines). And then add insult to injury the anti's will add this to their little book of statistics and use any instances of crime that come from this theft to put more restrictions on us or ban firearms all together. :cry: :cry: :thumbsdown: :wtf: :unknown:
Need more emoji's to show how sh!t this situation really is
Edit... complaint lodged with Attorney Generals office
Edit: got a reply saying we i need to take it up with QLD government.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation