Australia now world's second biggest weapons importer behind

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Australia now world's second biggest weapons importer behind

Post by DownunderDutchman » 30 Sep 2019, 7:13 am

Is Canberra aware of something we don't know? Or is Australia second on the list due to all those silent device fuel filters being confiscated by customs? LOL :lol:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-30/ ... i/11558762
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. Voltaire
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Australia now world's second biggest weapons importer be

Post by straightshooter » 30 Sep 2019, 7:46 am

Looking at it a little more seriously, we can only hope that these military imports are sufficiently technologically advanced or not easily overwhelmed by hypersonic or drone based strategies and in other ways aren't close to their "use by date".
Putting to one side current international posturing, let's face reality, which country is Australia's only real potential enemy?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by DownunderDutchman » 30 Sep 2019, 8:09 am

straightshooter wrote:Looking at it a little more seriously, we can only hope that these military imports are sufficiently technologically advanced or not easily overwhelmed by hypersonic or drone based strategies and in other ways aren't close to their "use by date".
Putting to one side current international posturing, let's face reality, which country is Australia's only real potential enemy?

No doubt China is the reason Australia is now second on the list, although buying a few nukes would be cheaper and the best deterrent, buying U.S fighter planes with lots of bugs is a waste of tax dollars.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. Voltaire
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 30 Sep 2019, 9:37 am

by law the new u.s. fighter planes can not be sold i had thought we shared the tec with our friends but we dont.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Sep 2019, 9:42 am

I think its because we have to. We dont make anything here.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Sep 2019, 4:29 pm

Is this a potential a spin off affect from our draconian gun laws? Imagine the red tape an organisation might have to go to if it put “missile tech” on its BAS form lol....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 Oct 2019, 9:29 am

Lol Tassie, actually we do have a very strong arms industry, remember bushtanger type apc, i seen some navy boats and maybe submarines were build here. We also have thales, boeing etc as well.

But if you go look at nioa website and Maryborough project, some interesting read regarding the funding sources ie our government. They will be producing artillery shells at the factory when it becomes operational for Australian army

In the end, i rather they waste money on aged care, hospitals, education and fix up the rorts in NDIS, rather than on the army. With our tens of thousands of km long shoreline and even if all our population conscripted, we won't be able to stop a small invasion party from China until the US WAR SHIPS COULD GET here, esp now cuz we don't bribe...i mean give aid to many pacific island countries and China is, and they probably take a few hours or a day max to reach our shoreline.

Failing that they will own us economically, its far cheaper and no loss of life ononnor part.

But i understand politicians and them trying to keep the simpletons voting public happy

Edited for clarity, and the only reason trump wants us to buy is that it gives the big armament Companies more profits and creates some American jobs.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bill » 01 Oct 2019, 2:12 pm

Liberal Politicians have no shortage of ways in giving away our Nations wealth away.....
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation