New Car Rattles.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

New Car Rattles.

Post by xDom » 30 Sep 2019, 1:00 pm

We’ve gotta ‘17 Isuzu MUX, for the last year it’s had this annoying rubbing, squeaking noise from behind the glovebox. Driving me crazy.
We’ve had Isuzu look at it and they reckon they found a loose screw, it started squeaking on the way back home.
I’ve looked for this time and time again but just can’t find it.
I’m about to take it back to Isuzu again but don’t hold too much faith in them spending much time looking for it. My guess is they’ll try and piss it off with an excuse.
Any one had any experience with issues like this on cars under warranty?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: New Car Rattles.

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Sep 2019, 1:20 pm

It’s bloody difficult with so much plastic in all cars these days - remember that supercheap ad where the guy pulls his car apart to find a squeak...?

Anyways - here’s what I’ve done previously to diagnose a squeak.
Look for where the suspect plastic panel interfaces with something(ie another panel, door, etc - an edge if you will and give a small squirt of wd or similar - go for drive. Fix it? No - choose another interface location and give that a tiny spray. Eventually you narrow it down but you have to take it slow as any over spray could lead you astray...and it can get messy lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by scoot » 30 Sep 2019, 2:33 pm

I had a 308 shell fall down between the windscreen and bonnet which made its way down to the bottom of the guard and sill panel. Squeaked like a bitch but sounded like it was coming from passenger kick panel area inside.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 30 Sep 2019, 3:26 pm

I had to fix a squeaky timber floor once ( I did not build it ) I remembered that sound only comes from movement , find the movement and u have the answer. This might seem obvious but sometimes people can deviate in there thinking in an attempt to solve a problem so, FIND THE MOVEMENT. even though under warranty it’s not your responsibility to fix it sometimes it’s easier if you just do it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by xDom » 30 Sep 2019, 3:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. I’ve pulled out the glovebox but it sounds like it’s coming from up behind all the gear. I’m reluctant to pull off any of the dash panelling, what with airbags and what not.
Gonna see if Isuzu can do anymore about it.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 30 Sep 2019, 8:27 pm

Lol, drive a Landrover Defender for 20 years and no other cars rattles are ever noticeable EVER again!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation