living off grid

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: living off grid

Post by Ecobogan » 02 Oct 2019, 6:43 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Ecobogan wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Wish you blokes lived closer, I occasionally get very, very large banks of batteries that are sometimes only 4-5 years old and have hardly ever been depleted...gave away a 2 x banks of 1320ah couple weeks ago and I’ve got 14 x 12v 212ah bats coming mid month...
The best regulators I’ve found for the money are Rnergy...not cheap, but ex value, and allow for proper gauge cabling.

I’ve also recently picked up a digital 12v thermostat for $7 on ebY - brilliant little device, turns on a 12v cooling fan of temps exceed 45 in battery box. (NVR is running 24/7 creating a lot of heat as does the 2000w inverter).

It’s good fun playing with off grid elecs - just ask Q’s.

WHAAAT!! Gave away 2 1320ah battery banks!? I don't live that far away! I'm putting together a pretty big solar set up for the workshop would be interested in what you could get hold of.
I bought an elec converted '81 Datsun Ute with a 19kwh nissan leaf battery (300hp motor will go in the buggy and car sold as a roller) that'll power the workshop but am considering running the lighting off a separate system.
Def keep me in the loop if that's ok

Not a problem at all - but those 1320ah banks were 3 x 4v cells and each cell weighed approx 120kg...I get 6 x 2v cells with each 2v cell being 220ah but again, each 2v battery is 50kgs!!! So 300kgs for the 12v system is crazy...
If you have a way of getting the batts from A Hobart depot to your place - pm me and I’ll sort you out with something... The Concorde 12v 212ah are in use everywhere in my industry and the larger businesses(petroleum, comms, etc) have to change our the banks well inside 50% maintenance windows...these are guaranteed 20+ years and some are coming out at 5 years...when they are in banks of 8 or 10, if one batt falls out of spec for xxx reason, they’ll often change out the entire bank - won’t risk a potential revisit. They won’t do load tests, - it’s crazy.

If your running lighting, id consider staying with 12v lighting rather than inverting to 240 as losses are a pain...but then cabling has to be a consideration depending on size.

Cool Tassie sounds great. I'll look into trans and send you a pm in the next day or so.
Legendary
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation