Importing knives.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Importing knives.

Post by DownunderDutchman » 02 Oct 2019, 9:15 pm

I can't really say I am a knife junkie or collector, but I do have a good selection of blades. Most of knives were purchased via Evilbay and bought to be used and abused when I go bush, so nothing to expensive, just work horses. I have always had that urge to buy a bling bling blade, and after watching Seraphim Falls several times, great make believe Hollywood western (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479537/?r ... lmg_act_39) and if you have not seen it, do so as it's a great film. I finally tracked down that Muela Magnum 26, a Bowie style blade with a stag handle that features in the film, and they are hard to find, and cost a fair bit. I got it for a good prize and paid for it online, it made it all the way to NSW customs via FedEx and was to be delivered this week. Well customs have put a hold on it, no reasons as yet, but FedEx tracking shows its been sitting in limbo since Monday and shows ''Clearance delay - Import Goods are subject to regulatory review.''

Now it's been a few years since I have purchased a knife via Evilbay into Australia, so I did do a check to see if anything had changed, the Muela is not a dagger, it's only got a single sharp edge, it's a full blade not a flip out knife, nothing is stated by customs online that this knife is prohibited, but why the funk is it sitting in limbo?

Has any one else have the same problem of late? Or is it now just procedure with NSW customs to sit on it for a few days? I am located in Victoria and we do have restrictions regarding knives, but non apply to the Muela.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. Voltaire
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Importing knives.

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2019, 10:05 pm

DownunderDutchman wrote:I can't really say I am a knife junkie or collector, but I do have a good selection of blades. Most of knives were purchased via Evilbay and bought to be used and abused when I go bush, so nothing to expensive, just work horses. I have always had that urge to buy a bling bling blade, and after watching Seraphim Falls several times, great make believe Hollywood western (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479537/?r ... lmg_act_39) and if you have not seen it, do so as it's a great film. I finally tracked down that Muela Magnum 26, a Bowie style blade with a stag handle that features in the film, and they are hard to find, and cost a fair bit. I got it for a good prize and paid for it online, it made it all the way to NSW customs via FedEx and was to be delivered this week. Well customs have put a hold on it, no reasons as yet, but FedEx tracking shows its been sitting in limbo since Monday and shows ''Clearance delay - Import Goods are subject to regulatory review.''

Now it's been a few years since I have purchased a knife via Evilbay into Australia, so I did do a check to see if anything had changed, the Muela is not a dagger, it's only got a single sharp edge, it's a full blade not a flip out knife, nothing is stated by customs online that this knife is prohibited, but why the funk is it sitting in limbo?

Has any one else have the same problem of late? Or is it now just procedure with NSW customs to sit on it for a few days? I am located in Victoria and we do have restrictions regarding knives, but non apply to the Muela.

Email Border Forceband ask them. They grabbèd a rifle stock so I emailed and asked if there was a problem. They explained that a letter was en-route to me, which arrived very soon after. I've found BF to be very good to deal with.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by DownunderDutchman » 02 Oct 2019, 10:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:
DownunderDutchman wrote:I can't really say I am a knife junkie or collector, but I do have a good selection of blades. Most of knives were purchased via Evilbay and bought to be used and abused when I go bush, so nothing to expensive, just work horses. I have always had that urge to buy a bling bling blade, and after watching Seraphim Falls several times, great make believe Hollywood western (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479537/?r ... lmg_act_39) and if you have not seen it, do so as it's a great film. I finally tracked down that Muela Magnum 26, a Bowie style blade with a stag handle that features in the film, and they are hard to find, and cost a fair bit. I got it for a good prize and paid for it online, it made it all the way to NSW customs via FedEx and was to be delivered this week. Well customs have put a hold on it, no reasons as yet, but FedEx tracking shows its been sitting in limbo since Monday and shows ''Clearance delay - Import Goods are subject to regulatory review.''

Email Border Forceband ask them. They grabbèd a rifle stock so I emailed and asked if there was a problem. They explained that a letter was en-route to me, which arrived very soon after. I've found BF to be very good to deal with.

Yeah I have a feeling that letter is on its way! Thanks and will email them when the letter is here.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. Voltaire
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 03 Oct 2019, 8:53 am

I concur....Seraphim Falls is a great movie....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by BBJ » 03 Oct 2019, 10:47 am

DownunderDutchman wrote:it's a full blade not a flip out knife

I believe you will be fine.

There is (for some stupid pointless reason) a restriction on importing folding knives, despite the fact that you can legally buy them in any store here with no questions asked.

Should be no issue with fixed blades knives though.

Probably just double checking because it says "knife" on the senders customs declaration or something.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by DownunderDutchman » 03 Oct 2019, 11:09 am

BBJ wrote:

There is (for some stupid pointless reason) a restriction on importing folding knives, despite the fact that you can legally buy them in any store here with no questions asked.

Probably just double checking because it says "knife" on the senders customs declaration or something.

I rang border force as suggested, they gave me another number to ring, spoke to some very unfriendly Indian that was hard to understand, he was not going to do his job until I told him I was put onto them from border force, and presto, suddenly he was willing to look up the tracking number and informed me it had cleared already. I rang FedEx and was told it had cleared some days ago, then spoke to another Indian that was near impossible to understand, but did get out of him my Muela was cleared and will be delivered via TNT, suddenly FedEx tracking got updated and tells me ''Scheduled delivery: Thursday 10/03/2019 by 6:00 pm'' although I believe it if it gets here today. But at least its on the go!
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2019, 3:03 pm

DownunderDutchman wrote:
BBJ wrote:

I rang border force as suggested, they gave me another number to ring, spoke to some very unfriendly Indian that was hard to understand, he was not going to do his job until I told him I was put onto them from border force, and presto, suddenly he was willing to look up the tracking number and informed me it had cleared already. I rang FedEx and was told it had cleared some days ago, then spoke to another Indian that was near impossible to understand, but did get out of him my Muela was cleared and will be delivered via TNT, suddenly FedEx tracking got updated and tells me ''Scheduled delivery: Thursday 10/03/2019 by 6:00 pm'' although I believe it if it gets here today. But at least its on the go!

I had trouble with FedEx over blades. I ordered three bayonets from the US that didn't show up. I contacted the seller who said they'd been through BF okay, then FedEx sent them back to the US as undeliverable. They sent them to me again, but with USPS instead, and they arrived just fine. I avoid UPS and FedEx wherever possible when ordering anything out of the US.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by DownunderDutchman » 03 Oct 2019, 3:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:
DownunderDutchman wrote:
BBJ wrote:

I had trouble with FedEx over blades. I ordered three bayonets from the US that didn't show up. I contacted the seller who said they'd been through BF okay, then FedEx sent them back to the US as undeliverable. They sent them to me again, but with USPS instead, and they arrived just fine. I avoid UPS and FedEx wherever possible when ordering anything out of the US.

I think some of these delivery/courier companies leave a lot to desire when it comes to their customer service.
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation