My 2c worth

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

My 2c worth

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Oct 2019, 12:03 am

Is it just me,,,, or have things gone a bit pear shaped ?

There seems to be quite a few members gone MIA over the not too distant past.

?????????? Why.

I was considering addressing a query on this to admin/mods,,,, but i have not had the courtesy of a reply to my last two queries.
(edited to include "on other issue/s" )

So what are the thoughts/opinions of the members in general ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: My 2c worth

Post by JimTom » 23 Oct 2019, 6:48 am

G’day Mate

I have been thinking the same. Several positive contributors have disappeared from this forum over the last six months or so. Perhaps they are tired of some of the BS that is published on here from time to time.
There are one or two on here who seem to get enjoyment out of deliberately antagonising others, in particular if you don’t agree with their views.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 23 Oct 2019, 8:07 am

Let's face it, a forum such as this will attract all characters of shooters.
Some would like a discussion with the exchange of considered or informed opinions, others the direct opposite with the majority somewhere in between.
Yet others would like to impress (mostly themselves) with 'gotchyas'.
If they aren't getting any satisfaction then they will drift away.
Note I have made no mention of political shills and product influencers who are likely to be active according to a cycle.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 23 Oct 2019, 11:27 am

Actually, I think I have had enough too. Although there are quite a few contributors on here with a mountain of knowledge, offering prudent advice, I find the bucket of rubbish is starting to get heavier than the bucket of knowledge. Thank you to all of those who have answered my questions over the last nearly two years or so.
Sincerely appreciated. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Oct 2019, 12:54 pm

Couple things...it’s a public forum. Things are going to be said, panties are going to get bunched up, not everyone will agree. Moderators are doing a job they cannot win - intervene too hard,” we live in Russia now”, let the conversation go, “I can’t stand the crap”....
There are only so many questions and discussions that can be had about shooting / loads / etc - and given that many ppl hang out here on quite a regular basis, it would be a mistake to think that every topic will remain shooting related.
Even when I’ve asked / had answered questions pertaining to shooting on here - it could be weeks before I can test / confirm / deny answers as not many have the luxury of shooting in their back yard and well...time commitments etc.
I think the political section cops a clogging as a bit of fun, but generally, shooting topics remain very informative and the wealth of information that remains available from many members is absolute gold.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Oct 2019, 1:33 pm

Yeah Tassie I mostly agree but there has to be a line where lack of respect is stopped ''me'' call me what you like but there are others that take offence at such a thing and after all they are members to so if members are let go to the point of name calling with intent to belittle someone then the forum is no better than facebook I don't think it was intended as such also there is absolutely a wealth of knowledge on here but those of them that have it come on forum and see some of the garbage of late tend to be turned off and possibly move on. There was a post asking people for their opinions on why people are moving to other forums well most every person on here could answer that if they were honest with themselves but most will decline to answer because of possible backlash from others (my opinion) joking around on a phone or at the pub with mates is ok but on a public forum with no knowledge of the other person is totally different care has to be taken not to insult, disrespect, or mentally harm anyone there are people on here who may have mental issues and they reserve the right as all of us to be justly treated I for one don't want this forum to be run by Nazi like moderators but i'll bet all my money that is what will happen if the garbage doesn't stop and more to the point a large loss of members due to just that fact I'm just an old fart but we are big boys ,we've all made mistakes so lets learn from them ''amen''
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Oct 2019, 2:08 pm

GDB - political correctness does not walk far from where your suggesting...to ask ppl to consider they “may” be upsetting someone who “may” have mental disease is traced with barbed wire...in fact, I’ve already written a response, that I then went and deleted in case it was taken the wrong way...that’s an issue.

A few months back the mods started a forum about their involvement changing - do you remember?. It was an interesting insight to people’s views and it helped me conclude - they cannot please all / any / most. Ppl spoke out about their strike rules for insults, ppl spoke out about freedom of speech, some left on accord of the new rules, etc etc etc.

I’ve been on many, many forums over the years (as I’m sure many others have) - I refuse to join faceboook or cockstagram - this one, in general seems to walk the grey area better than many...
There seems to be 3 sections to forums;
Intro and new area.
Information sharing and knowledge.
Bulldust area - politics, shoot the shot, general conversation, etc. the bull dust area in my mind is no different to a chat room or similar - it’s tsinted and always will be....just my opinion of course.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Oct 2019, 3:47 pm

Yes Tassie i'm with you on most all I to don't think the 3 strikes your out will work either simply because by the time the strikes are up the damage has been done and the forum goers have woken up to them and may choose to decline from conversations with them it's a fine edged sword and I agree that this forum does carry itself very well so far but I myself have seen a slow decline in respect in some areas i'm not suggesting we all turn into cotton wool babies just be aware of other peoples feelings we shouldn't be having a conversation like this there is no need if people would not push the boarders because they think it's ok if i can respect all others opinions and get a message across without insults so can everybody else we all are different we all see things in a different light but we all know how to respect but some think it does no harm not to use it ie someone makes a pass at your girlfriend it alarms her you react for her but unbeknown to you the other fella didn't think it was much of a deal because he and his mates do it to each other all the time but you are different as you dislike this sort of disrespect you react sometime violently so who is in the wrong i'm not saying things should be taken to the extremes simply that we should be grown up enough to know where the boundary is and not expect to take it further because you find it's ok because sometimes it's not, you say you're not on facebook because of the garbage that goes on so lets hope this forum doesn't turn out like it down the line I don't think it's too hard a question to ask for people to be treated like you yourself would like to be treated but I'll leave that for others to decide for themselves Mate I do know where you're coming from but don't agree with all as I think honesty and respect can and should be used by all on this forum and any other forum no grey areas and yes I do remember the mods changing the rules a little and one could ask why it was so it's clear to me it was the garbage that was going on at the time yet some refuse to admit that and yes it made it hard for some and yes some probably left this leads to my very point respect and thoughtfulness has to be across the board or it's a no brainer there will be more rules and regulations which will render this forum uncomfortable to be on not something I want to see I prefer to treat people as I would like to be or have been treated with respect
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 23 Oct 2019, 4:40 pm

I don't think I've seen much of this name-calling and belittling, some certainly, but not enough to be a problem, maybe this happens in specific forums that I don't bother with? I've had some pretty decent arguments over the years but nothing too serious, I've never felt the need to block anybody. Mr Winchester was a piece of work a long time ago but he got canned fairly quickly, I don't even recall the issues, was he a belligerent drunk? If I do see an instance of an actual personal attack against a member I report it, as everybody should.

The recent appearance of posters jumping on new posters as trolls is annoying, it achieves absolutely nothing except make the poster look obnoxious and the newbie heads to another forum. If you think it's a troll then why are you bothering to respond to it? Ignore it. It does no harm to anybody to put factual responses up even to a troll post.

Moderating a forum years ago I had an American ex-marine actually calling places in Perth trying to track me down, good old AirborneGeorge, I hope he's still enjoying the drugs and whores :-)
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/showpost.php?p=926271&postcount=127
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Oct 2019, 5:20 pm

Yes a nasty piece of work there bladeracer was airborne George just shows why it is important to be civil when dealing with people you can't see and don't know it just shows how things can be taken out of context and then escalate but as far as the vets go we don't do enough for them as was mentioned they gave up everything to protect people and my heart gets heavy when I hear of their issues when they return
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 23 Oct 2019, 5:30 pm

Yes a nasty piece of work there bladeracer was airborne George just shows why it is important to be civil when dealing with people you can't see and don't know it just shows how things can be taken out of context and then escalate but as far as the vets go we don't do enough for them as was mentioned they gave up everything to protect people and my heart gets heavy when I hear of their issues when they return

Facebook is more of problem in that regard, people put all sorts of innocuous stuff online without realising how much information can be trawled out of lots of tiny bits of information once they're added together by a stalker.

Agreed about veterans, the living are the real victims of warfare.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Oct 2019, 6:34 pm

JimTom wrote:Actually, I think I have had enough too. Although there are quite a few contributors on here with a mountain of knowledge, offering prudent advice, I find the bucket of rubbish is starting to get heavier than the bucket of knowledge. Thank you to all of those who have answered my questions over the last nearly two years or so.
Sincerely appreciated. :drinks:

Hey Mate,,,,,,,,, Don't be too hasty,,

:friends: :drinks:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 23 Oct 2019, 7:08 pm

Do people think its just coincidence the yellow faced trouble maker has suddenly resorted to quiet...??? :unknown:

While some may find it annoying to call such a new comer as him a troll...he has demonstrated he is...and anyone leaving now just gives sad dikheads like that some kind of sick weird empowerment...
Having said that...ya gotta do what ya gotta do... :unknown:

I havnt even read the back n forth bickering, just dropped in the odd calling out a troll--rightly or...probably wrongly... :unknown: ...ah well its done now.

Im more one to be forgiving of members who do contribute, but who've lately allowed themselves to have been sucked into the whirlpool & thus indulged in back n forth jibberish, ...

See it for what it is...just a cross threaded wheel nut that gave some feirce harmonic vibes at good speed...
Its all slowed down now...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 23 Oct 2019, 7:41 pm

Stay Jim Tom
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Oct 2019, 8:31 pm

Ya hit the nail on the head Stix and +2 for DJ and Blr243 it'll blow over or already blown over so Jim Tom I was in a situation like you awhile back and after some positive talk from some members I decided to stay and glad I did there has been so many positive members on here and still are as stix said don't let the diks upset you I've taken their advice my biggest problem is i'm old school and can't stand bs and only take it for so long then call it out as I see it I hope I haven't been part of the cause of you deciding on leaving if so I apologise hang in there mate
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Oct 2019, 8:34 pm

Stix wrote:Do people think its just coincidence the yellow faced trouble maker has suddenly resorted to quiet...??? :unknown:

While some may find it annoying to call such a new comer as him a troll...he has demonstrated he is...and anyone leaving now just gives sad dikheads like that some kind of sick weird empowerment...
Having said that...ya gotta do what ya gotta do... :unknown:

I havnt even read the back n forth bickering, just dropped in the odd calling out a troll--rightly or...probably wrongly... :unknown: ...ah well its done now.

Im more one to be forgiving of members who do contribute, but who've lately allowed themselves to have been sucked into the whirlpool & thus indulged in back n forth jibberish, ...

See it for what it is...just a cross threaded wheel nut that gave some feirce harmonic vibes at good speed...
Its all slowed down now...

Stix, Ram was given plenty of Lee way before hand, no one jumped on him from the off - despite his insane first few posts...don’t feel bad re the grilling you laid down toward him, I presume some ppl only read/saw parts of the insanity...not sure, if this is in fact an example of what DJ is talking about...I hope not.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 23 Oct 2019, 9:32 pm

Thanks fellas. Have had a bit of a think, read your posts, and a PM. All positive and valid points. There are still quite a few good people on here posting sensible, informative content.
Think I will try harder to take the rubbish for what it is, and enjoy the good stuff.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Oct 2019, 6:03 am

I think it was Bruce lee who said ABSORB WHAT IS USEFUL AND IGNORE WHAT IS NOT( something like that ). On this forum I soak up the good info and attitude like a sponge , and I’m completely oblivious to the garbage With this line of thinking it wouldn’t bother me if it were 25 % great and 75 % not because I’m oblivious to the latter
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 24 Oct 2019, 7:31 am

Blr243 wrote:I think it was Bruce lee who said ABSORB WHAT IS USEFUL AND IGNORE WHAT IS NOT( something like that ). On this forum I soak up the good info and attitude like a sponge , and I’m completely oblivious to the garbage With this line of thinking it wouldn’t bother me if it were 25 % great and 75 % not because I’m oblivious to the latter

Walk around the mud hole - if you wade through it you're going to get dirty!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 24 Oct 2019, 9:34 am

And another expression that comes to mind Is .....idle minds are easy prey for the devil
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Oct 2019, 10:06 am

Many people join forums for different things... and for different reasons move on. There was talk of another forum started by a member here.

Its just normal... sometimes people get upset over what's said by someone else... they can either get over it or move on. I know a couple people who have moved on due to the ramblings of fluffy and homer etc.

Actually haven't seen much of homer later... but i know he is around
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Oct 2019, 10:12 am

Ziad wrote:Many people join forums for different things... and for different reasons move on. There was talk of another forum started by a member here.

Its just normal... sometimes people get upset over what's said by someone else... they can either get over it or move on. I know a couple people who have moved on due to the ramblings of fluffy and homer etc.

Spot on, learn to deal with it and get over it ASAP - no point getting all bitter and twisted over something some says that you've never met. End of the day it's their opinion on what they have said, you can either accept that opinion or not it's your choice but to let yourself get that upset over it is a bit silly. We've had plenty of discussions/opinions mate, I don't let it upset me at all I just say what I've got to say and move on and no doubt you and others here are the same but for some reason some people just can't let things go and really take it to heart I guess, thank god I'm not one of em. :drinks: :friends:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Oct 2019, 11:10 am

Thanks.... also sorry my phone autocorrected... i meant flutch... but fluffy sounds better
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bill » 24 Oct 2019, 1:47 pm

Blr243 wrote:And another expression that comes to mind Is .....idle minds are easy prey for the devil

So true, also many of the numpties on forums these days are retired lonely pensioner types, easily offend, fountains of knowledge and usually spelling and gramar nazi's to boot :lol: :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 24 Oct 2019, 3:36 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Ziad wrote:Many people join forums for different things... and for different reasons move on. There was talk of another forum started by a member here.

Spot on, learn to deal with it and get over it ASAP - no point getting all bitter and twisted over something some says that you've never met. End of the day it's their opinion on what they have said, you can either accept that opinion or not it's your choice but to let yourself get that upset over it is a bit silly. We've had plenty of discussions/opinions mate, I don't let it upset me at all I just say what I've got to say and move on and no doubt you and others here are the same but for some reason some people just can't let things go and really take it to heart I guess, thank god I'm not one of em. :drinks: :friends:

+1 fellas
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 Oct 2019, 3:40 pm

Bill wrote:
Blr243 wrote:And another expression that comes to mind Is .....idle minds are easy prey for the devil

So true, also many of the numpties on forums these days are retired lonely pensioner types, easily offend, fountains of knowledge and usually spelling and gramar nazi's to boot :lol: :drinks:

that's about right bill :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i've picked up a lot of good tips and info and had some good conversations on this site , i'm not going anywhere , i look forward to some of the posts by characters on here , especially stix well written comedy posts :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bill » 24 Oct 2019, 5:58 pm

Gee's Bigrich I had you picked for a knowlegable young fella ;) :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 24 Oct 2019, 6:01 pm

Ziad wrote:Thanks.... also sorry my phone autocorrected... i meant flutch... but fluffy sounds better

really must've lodged an entire sandbag in your vag ziad for you to be making slanderous attacks on threads at random...
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 24 Oct 2019, 6:33 pm

Bill wrote:Gee's Bigrich I had you picked for a knowlegable young fella ;) :drinks:

\not young, not old , 51 in january. your only as old as the woman your feeling......... ;)
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 Oct 2019, 6:35 pm

flutch wrote:
Ziad wrote:Thanks.... also sorry my phone autocorrected... i meant flutch... but fluffy sounds better

really must've lodged an entire sandbag in your vag ziad for you to be making slanderous attacks on threads at random...

he's right though , fluffy does sound better :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry mate , couldn't help myself ;) :drinks: :friends: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation