Attempted safe break in by burglars

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Attempted safe break in by burglars

Post by Pilch » 30 Jul 2013, 9:41 am

Just sharing a few woes here...

So some time yesterday my house was broken into :(

Came home to find the just about the whole house ransacked, nothing of much value taken and we have insurance so it's not the end of the world, but still a s**ty thing to come home to.

I'm also new to shooting and have recently installed by gun safe. During their ransacking the thief obviously came across the safe, and it looks like he's made some half baked attempt at getting into it. Just a few dings and scratches etc. They obviously didn't have a crowbar or any serious tools because there's no damage like that to the safe.

The cops said it was probably just a random burglary, hence why they didn't have any tools for the safe. Probably just kids with nothing more than a screwdriver to jimmy a door/window etc.

I'm actually so new to shooting that I don't have any rifles in their yet, so there wasn't any worries even if they did get in. Obviously a bit more worried about the future though now that some thief knows there is a gun safe in the house.

Looking to buff up the security a round the place now, to hopefully avoid a repeat in future.

So there, vent over at least :)

Any advice though would be awesome.
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Attempted safe break in by burglars

Post by AusC » 30 Jul 2013, 10:15 am

Sorry for your troubles Pilch,

I've had a break in too. s**ty feeling indeed.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bark » 30 Jul 2013, 11:08 am

Bad news Pilch.

RE: advice, what's your security situation at the moment?

How did they get in?

A mate of mines house was broken into a while ago and he did a bit of a security reno on the place. I might be able to pass on some suggestions?
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Pilch » 30 Jul 2013, 2:23 pm

They came around the back of the house and broke a window to open it's lock, then probably half climbed in and reached around to open the door.

Window's fixed now obviously, have a tradie coming out to quote on a fence for us today so they can't walk around the back again where it's private.

Wondering what else people suggest?
Last edited by Pilch on 18 Aug 2013, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by lole » 31 Jul 2013, 10:01 am

That sucks mate :(

You can't make your house a fortress, best you can do is make it too difficult for it to be worth their while.

A fence is good.

Like dogs? My neighbours had a burglar break in a while ago and their 2 German Shepherds trapped him in a corner until they came home and called the cops.

Get keyed deadbolts for your doors, stops them from reaching in and unlocking the door from the inside so they can't let themselves in. Also stops them carrying much if they have to climb out a window after.

Keyed locks on the windows too, so they can't just break a little hole an reach into unlock it.

An alarm will limit their time inside. Without an alarm they're free to roam around inside for as long as they want but with 120db blaring inside/outside the house they won't stay long.

Sound s**ty, but really your house doesn't need to be a bank vault. It just needs to be more secure than your neighbour.

If there is your house with double locks, fence, alarm etc. and there is your neighbours house with nothing, they will go to your neighbours house.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pilch » 18 Aug 2013, 9:16 am

Thanks for the replies guys (sorry for my late reply)

We've sorted out a few of the suggestions here. Deadbolts are on the doors now and we have some keyed window locks and bars to stop em sliding open.

Alarm is due to be installed soon too. Was a bit wired after the whole thing when I originally posted here, but things are looking good now.

Not to worried seeing the improvements come along now.
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bark » 18 Aug 2013, 9:23 am

That's about all you can do Pilch. Like lole said, you can live inside a fortress.

That will be a huge deterrent compared to previously, you'll be right.

Now you just need a four legged friend :)
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 8:10 pm

We have window locks, deadlocks on doors, 2 dogs and security cameras ;)
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Pilch » 02 Oct 2013, 8:57 pm

Hi Mel,

Yep, I've ramped up the security a bit since then.

Double set of locks on everything and the alarm is in now, so hopefully that's the end of it.
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 02 Oct 2013, 9:02 pm

mel wrote:We have window locks, deadlocks on doors, 2 dogs and security cameras ;)

I'm keen as for a pair of dogs.

The fiancé is... less keen :(
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 9:12 pm

Good to hear Pilch :)

I'd be lost without my dogs! We have a rotty and a mastiff (who is 8mths old and thinks he's only small) :roll:
Daughter was sitting on the coffee table so he decided he could too!
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by howtow » 02 Oct 2013, 9:25 pm

mel wrote:...who is 8mths old and thinks he's only small...

Yeah, they'll do that.

Somehow oblivious to the fact that they are crushing you beneath them, lol.
howtow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 9:29 pm

Lol yeah.
He's not too bad with the whole lap dog thing as we never really let him sit on us when he was little but he tries to fit himself in some pretty small spaces!! Like under the kitchen table, barging all the chairs out of the way so he has room :P
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 9:40 pm

Having been a rotty lover all my life my partner has changed my mind, ours is a French mastiff X neo mastiffxridgeback and he is SOooooo much smarter than my rotty. He is also a much better guard dog, but still great with our kids.
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Spooner » 02 Oct 2013, 9:45 pm

mel wrote:He is also a much better guard dog.

Rotties just look at burglars and they bugger off :D
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Tiger650 » 24 Nov 2017, 10:10 pm

In addition to the fence razor ribbon is inexpensive, grow some green things over it to soften the appearance.
I wonder were the misguided youths prepared for the cuddle and understanding they would receive from our "justice" system when they are eventually apprehended for s**t like this ?
Possibly they already have and plainly need more cuddles and understanding.
Today our top cop "went off on stress leave" a mealy mouthed fellow traveler of the ALP.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Nov 2017, 10:57 pm

I'd be worried about them coming back for the guns.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by BRNOmod2 » 25 Nov 2017, 12:34 am

Sorry to hear of ya drama
Not going to help you much but will add my 5cents worth of related storie. Some years ago got my first house, bit dodgy suburb, just got my first safe and my childhood firearms transferred from my fathers lic, also just began working away. Had little money so made security screens for all windows out of bunch old security screen doors got cheap from scrap yard. Put dead bolts on all external doors, and keyed locks on all windows as well. Place backed onto a lane and had few fence jumpers so planted climbing roses and boganvillia against fence that formed a evil impenetrable barrier. Lived close to airport so would just leave my car in drive when flying to work, and had work colleges who worked away with me and on opposite shift, park their cars on my lawn as well - gave impression was always people home and coming and going. Neighbour would collect mail for me and put bins in and out. Found "alarm fitted" sign at scrap yard and nailed to front of house. Worked away for over 8 years and never a break in, whilst many many houses in neighbourhood got done over. Fortunately I got to leave the city and move back to the country where I orig came from.
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 25 Nov 2017, 6:31 am

This thread is 4 years old...

Tip. Doesn't need to be a big dog. Any dog is s deterent to crims. Also, leave $50 in an obvious and visible place when you go out. Most burgs are for drug money. Unless it is a targeted hit then the crims will grab the $50 and f*** off to the next sucker or to their dealer...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2017, 6:34 am

good advice brnomod2, old trick i been doing is hex head self tapping metal screws into the window frames at the bottom,pointless trying to undo the lock if you cant slid or lift the window frame screw gararge roller doors shut with 75mm roofing screws from the inside. a pair of vice grips on the shank of a big screwdriver will bust roller door locks real easy. locked myself out one day and had to get back in.... lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Nov 2017, 10:01 am

Something that no-one has mentioned so far,,,,,,,,
Burglars love houses that have trees,, shrubbery across the front (or rear) of the typical suburban house.
Planted by the owner to keep traffic noise down,, and to create their own "little world within the world"

All very nice, peaceful, and cosy,,,,,,,, BUT, so easy for the burglars to slip in behind, and no-one can see them jemmying your front door.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment