Guy Fawkes Night

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Guy Fawkes Night

Post by perentie » 05 Nov 2019, 2:14 pm

Well here we are, Nov the Fifth. Guy Fawkes Night.
Not a mention anywhere. Still have fond memories of buying crackers down town. Tom Thumbs, Sparklers Rockets, Double Bungers etc and going to the town resevoir area where a bonfire was lit that night. Great fun had by all. Part of our British Heritage.

All we get is Halloween, some American nonsense , nothing to do with our heritage at all. Just a commercial beatup. Never had it when I was a kid.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Guy Fawkes Night

Post by bigpete » 05 Nov 2019, 2:16 pm

Wholeheartedly agree
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ed9362 » 05 Nov 2019, 2:30 pm

i think guy fawkes started dying when they banned fire crackers.

i only remember going to a guy fawkes bonfire night once, was a bit of fun.

on the other hand i remember trick or treating most years during the early 90s.

not real sure what guy fawkes or Halloween has to do with Australian heritage, neither of them are particularly Australian maybe we need a Ned Kelly night or something
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 05 Nov 2019, 2:33 pm

I was in the NT a couple of years ago for their cracker night, brought back memories of Guy Fawkes in Victoria.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 05 Nov 2019, 3:31 pm

Yep, I’m a little young to have experienced cracker night but always remember Mum and Dad talking about how great it was, until it was ruined by d**kheads.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 05 Nov 2019, 4:09 pm

I remember a many a good family night lighting the crackers dad would always light the special ones like the spinning wheels that would get nailed to a wooded post on the swing he made. We could have a few boxes of crackers to throw and light a few skyrockets. then as a teenager it progressed to bottle rocket guns and fights with them. The ball throwers we a hoot also used a bit dangerously.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by michael_sa » 05 Nov 2019, 5:18 pm

perentie wrote:...
Still have fond memories of buying crackers down town. Tom Thumbs, Sparklers Rockets, Double Bungers etc and going to the town resevoir area where a bonfire was lit that night. Great fun had by all. Part of our British Heritage.

Ditto perentie,
We used to build and dress up a scarecrow like figure in the paddock next to the house in an old work shirt and pants of Dad's. I remember one year we dressed him up with an old winter jacket compete with crackers in each pocket - before we set him on fire (the scarecrow that is, not Dad :lol: )
Fun times and good memories.
No fingers lost, still have both eyes and no tinnitus. :D I dunno how we did it! :sarcasm:
Getting back into it.

Beretta 87T

I sold the Lithgow LA101 .- read the thread on here, Never again.

In a previous life:
Lithgow LA101
Winchester Model 70XTR .243W Weaver K6
Franchi 520 12GA
Ruger 10/22 Sporter
Beretta 76 .22LR
S&W 686 .357 (x2)
michael_sa
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by 8x57 » 05 Nov 2019, 5:37 pm

Got fond memories of guy Fawkes night, big bonfires , having lots of fun as a kid
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2019, 8:48 pm

8x57 wrote:Got fond memories of guy Fawkes night, big bonfires , having lots of fun as a kid

Same here. Should start a petition to get it back.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation