Land area for shooting in NSW

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Land area for shooting in NSW

Post by Capsurf » 18 Nov 2019, 1:06 pm

Hi all, i have recently bought a property that is only 70 acres. It is surrounded by national park (at the end of a road) and has two residential neighbours at either side of the entrance. I run a few cattle and breed horses. I am also buying a firearm in case I cannot get a vet to the property quickly enough if I need to euthanize an animal at a time of emergency. The region does have a problem with wild dogs - they roam through from the national park.
My question is: is there a land area under which you cannot use a firearm? Obviously i would not be pointing the gun in the direction of the neighbours properties. I do have a firearm license and was intending to purchase a 223. Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.
Capsurf
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Land area for shooting in NSW

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2019, 7:19 pm

Capsurf wrote:Hi all, i have recently bought a property that is only 70 acres. It is surrounded by national park (at the end of a road) and has two residential neighbours at either side of the entrance. I run a few cattle and breed horses. I am also buying a firearm in case I cannot get a vet to the property quickly enough if I need to euthanize an animal at a time of emergency. The region does have a problem with wild dogs - they roam through from the national park.
My question is: is there a land area under which you cannot use a firearm? Obviously i would not be pointing the gun in the direction of the neighbours properties. I do have a firearm license and was intending to purchase a 223. Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.

As long as the land is zoned rural you can use your firearms legally regardless of acreage.
It is your responsibility to ensure the safety of any people, animals and property outside of your property - if you are not absolutely sure your bullet will remain on your property do not take the shot. If you have your neighbours' permission to shoot on their properties then you can shoot across the boundaries. You generally cannot shoot at all into the National Park unless they have shooting permissions (some areas down here open up for some shooting). But get out there and drop those damned dogs as they come through the wire!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Land area for shooting in NSW

Post by straightshooter » 19 Nov 2019, 6:20 am

Problems will arise only if somebody decides to complain to the police.
So the first thing is talk to your neighbours who no doubt have experienced dog problems themselves. The purpose is to gauge their attitude to shooting as much as to gain their endorsement for your use of the rifle on your property, they might even invite you to shoot on their properties. Remember there is going to be an amount of practise shooting and sighting involved and we live in the most 'entitled' generation ever.
The next step is very important and that is a visit to constable plod, or sergeant plod if it is a larger station, and advise him that should there be any complaints that you are shooting at wild dogs and you are reluctant to use poison baits. Read up on the deleterious effects of poison baits.
This might seem like a lot of trouble to go to but it pays huge, often unseen, dividends.
What is the alternative? An arrogant assertion of your 'rights' when complaints are made and constable plod investigates?
By the way, which general area of NSW are you in?
I have a friend near Cassilis who has had an intractable wild dog problem for many years and has tried everything from Landcare supplied baits to hiring professional doggers all without success.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation