Euthanized a roo yesterday

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Euthanized a roo yesterday

Post by Blr243 » 24 Nov 2019, 10:19 am

I know somebody who travels a lot and has admitted that he can’t euthanise an injured roo because he is too squeamish. I have tried in vain to explain that sometimes you have to do something unpleasant to help an animal that is suffering ..... how the Hell somebody can drive off down the road knowing that roo could be suffering for hours I will never understand. Sick ,Selfish and gutless
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 24 Nov 2019, 11:52 am

There are a lot of people like that. They just cant bring themselves to killing an animal, perhaps squeamish is a bit too harsh. The two people that had stopped at the side of the road I was relating to in that story could have picked up a large log and done the job. Blunt force is a pretty violent act however it is describe as being a authorized method in some cases by the DELWP.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Ricochet » 24 Nov 2019, 2:03 pm

Blr243 wrote:I know somebody who travels a lot and has admitted that he can’t euthanise an injured roo because he is too squeamish. I have tried in vain to explain that sometimes you have to do something unpleasant to help an animal that is suffering ..... how the Hell somebody can drive off down the road knowing that roo could be suffering for hours I will never understand. Sick ,Selfish and gutless

I had this problem a while ago after i hit a wombat, poor bugger was still breathing and i had nothing to do the job with, knew i had to find a rock or something and finish him off, I did'nt want to leave him to die slowly or cause him more suffering by not doing the job properly :( . Fortunately another motorist stopped and helped out. Now I carry a piece of inch thick metal round bar, just in case.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Nov 2019, 2:12 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Ah I wouldn't let a greeny stop you from doing the right thing mate - they have SFA idea on real life situations.

The wild life rescuer actually asked if I would like to be contacted in the future if they needed me to shoot any injured wildlife for them, I declined (not worth the stuffing around for mine) I told her it would be better if she applied for a license and go from there (not sure how legal it would be for me to just pull a rifle out and shoot something that's injured on the side of the road anyway (even though you are trying to do the right thing and end somethings suffering, knowing my luck I'd end up in trouble LOL so I figured she can take the risk not me.

Mmm,, ,, suprised they dont all carry a 22
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Nov 2019, 4:11 pm

Ricochet wrote:
I had this problem a while ago after i hit a wombat, poor bugger was still breathing and i had nothing to do the job with, knew i had to find a rock or something and finish him off, I did'nt want to leave him to die slowly or cause him more suffering by not doing the job properly :( . Fortunately another motorist stopped and helped out. Now I carry a piece of inch thick metal round bar, just in case.

A flat tire iron/lever does a good job,,,,,,,,

As does the wheel on your car.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation