Advice and Opinions

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Advice and Opinions

Post by Rider888 » 14 Dec 2019, 3:36 pm

Heading away on Xmas and was wondering if I should take my firearms with me or leave them at home?

Intend to be away for 4 weeks

Storage is not an issue at location I am travelling to so just interested to know what everyone does?

Thanks
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Advice and Opinions

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Dec 2019, 3:42 pm

I usually just take 1.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 14 Dec 2019, 3:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I usually just take 1.

Why 1 and not all or both in my case?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 14 Dec 2019, 4:09 pm

if storage isnt a problem where youre going then take them
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Rider888 » 14 Dec 2019, 4:14 pm

flutch wrote:if storage isnt a problem where youre going then take them

Ok thanks. Was just in 2 minds because then I will need to deal with them for the flight, but thats not a big deal
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2019, 5:34 pm

Rider888 wrote:Heading away on Xmas and was wondering if I should take my firearms with me or leave them at home?

Intend to be away for 4 weeks

Storage is not an issue at location I am travelling to so just interested to know what everyone does?

Thanks

As long as you can show justification for taking them with you go for it. We aren't allowed to travel around with them just because we miss them when they're at home alone.
Storage requirements don't apply when you're away from home.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 14 Dec 2019, 5:58 pm

It all depends on were your traveling too and if you have to travel through any National Parks. Traveling through National Parks can get you in trouble I believe. Not sure when it comes down to the actual laws. There are some that are interpreted wrongly by shooters and police alike. I have had some very interesting discussions with a DFO lately.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Dec 2019, 6:01 pm

Ok, just personnally. Away for xmas means family stuff. So often only get out a few times. Not every day, thats for sure. Space is sometimes an issue. So i just select best option and make do with one.
Not much you cant tackle either a 12g or 223.

Is it a shooting, fishing or family trip.?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 14 Dec 2019, 7:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Ok, just personnally. Away for xmas means family stuff. So often only get out a few times. Not every day, thats for sure. Space is sometimes an issue. So i just select best option and make do with one.
Not much you cant tackle either a 12g or 223.

Is it a shooting, fishing or family trip.?

Not a shooting trip. Just unsure if i feel safe with my equipment in my home when I am away for such a long period and also I might head to the International Shooting centre to do some shooting
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Dec 2019, 8:49 pm

Thats why i have home contents insurance
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 8x57 » 14 Dec 2019, 9:01 pm

Put them in storage at the LGS if you,re worried about security or put in a security system with a camera.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2019, 9:29 pm

If you can use them where you are going why not take em! If not just leave em at home.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Dec 2019, 10:07 pm

Insurance is great for dollars and cents if you lose em through burglary etc,,,,,,, but not worth a pinch of sh!t when it comes to sentimental value.

If you've only got two,,, I'd take both with you.
:D
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Dec 2019, 2:43 pm

For a month stint I think it makes sense to take them. If you are unlucky enough to be targeted by a thief on the road you might be close enough to your car to fight for your assets. But if u are 1000 k from home and your guns are targeted I don’t think your cat will do a good job of keeping people away from your gun safe ........and. There’s always a chance a hunting opportunity might arise if your holiday ing in the bush
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 17 Dec 2019, 5:13 pm

You need to think what are the chances I am going to be stopped by police? Then you have to have a good reason for having the rifles in your car. I would leave them at home.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Dec 2019, 6:37 pm

sungazer wrote:You need to think what are the chances I am going to be stopped by police? Then you have to have a good reason for having the rifles in your car. I would leave them at home.

WTF ????????
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

I know that things are sliding down the gurgler,,,,,,,,,, but it has not yet degenerated to a point where LAFO's are prevented from having their legally owned
firearms with them in a vehicle.
There are a myriad of reasons why this is possible.
The simplest of all is,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'm going on a hunting trip.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 17 Dec 2019, 6:51 pm

sungazer wrote:You need to think what are the chances I am going to be stopped by police? Then you have to have a good reason for having the rifles in your car. I would leave them at home.

WTF ????????

I know that things are sliding down the gurgler,,,,,,,,,, but it has not yet degenerated to a point where LAFO's are prevented from having their legally owned

Die Judicii .. +1 mate...

but... as a point of order . if you are stopped by police in your car are you legally obliged to disclose if you have firearms on board.? I havent come across this before, but it seems the simplest course of action would be 'dont fkn say anything'
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 17 Dec 2019, 6:56 pm

It all depends on where you are and what you have been doing. the problem of taking your guns on a month long holiday if you are in and out of the car at shops going to the pub at night. I just mean it is more likely that you will get pulled over late at night ect and then the reasons why maybe harder to justify. I just don't like putting myself in awkward positions.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2019, 7:10 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
WTF ????????

Actually I think all states require you to have legitimate reason to have a firearm in your vehicle, you can't take a rifle because you might get some hunting in by chance, or you might drop into a club for shoot. When I asked the Registry about visiting my brother in Canberra they wanted evidence of permission to hunt on a property or an entry for a specific competition, going up to do some informal shooting at Majura was not an acceptable reason to bring firearms into ACT.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Dec 2019, 7:14 pm

CrackThump wrote:

Die Judicii .. +1 mate...

but... as a point of order . if you are stopped by police in your car are you legally obliged to disclose if you have firearms on board.? I havent come across this before, but it seems the simplest course of action would be 'dont fkn say anything'

Yeah Mate,,,,,, not being state specific,,,,, but I believe the general rule is that if you have f/arms in your vehicle,,,, they must be in a "safe" state,,, and again I believe the key words are that they are "out of sight, and not obvious"

So I would agree with you Mate,,,,,,,,,, don't say a f@ckin thing, and if the vehicle is searched,,, then offer your legit reasons.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 17 Dec 2019, 7:35 pm

lMHO l recon if you are worried about your firearms being left at home you have security issues that need to be looked at :unknown:
if you take them or not is up to you but be sure you abide by the laws of the state you are in
some people confuse the law that you must have a reason to have your handguns out of the gun safe eg... going to the range to shoot your handguns, going to the gunsmith to have your handguns repaired or going to a gun dealer to sell your handguns,
this law does not apply to longarms but l am talking about in victoria
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Dec 2019, 7:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Actually I think all states require you to have legitimate reason to have a firearm in your vehicle, you can't take a rifle because you might get some hunting in by chance, or you might drop into a club for shoot. When I asked the Registry about visiting my brother in Canberra they wanted evidence of permission to hunt on a property or an entry for a specific competition, going up to do some informal shooting at Majura was not an acceptable reason to bring firearms into ACT.

Hi BR,
Seems like a sorry state of affairs Mate, and looks like its degenerating even further.
Where will it all end ? :unknown:
It seems almost like a canundrum happening.
When is a law abiding firearm owner not a law abiding firearm owner.

Will we (as a result of the powers to be) be able to legally own firearms,,,,,,, but not be able to use them ?????????????

As much as I hate the knee jerk reactions of Jack boot Johnnie,,,, his initial idea of "uniform" Australian gun laws seemed like a breath of fresh air,,,,,,,
but sadly it never eventuated,,,, and the whole situation just got even worse.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 19 Dec 2019, 6:25 pm

I don't see the issue. I mean you don't see me carrying a spade in the car all the time, invade in get bogged on the freeway and have to dig the car out.

Plus the issue of what happens if the firearm is in the vehicle and the car gets broken into at 10am on Sunday morning in the local church Carpark...a bit hard to explain to the cops that you were going to church and not to the state forest to hunt.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2019, 6:54 pm

I think people way over think this whole thing, there are heaps of reasons to have a firearm in your car, least of which is taking it to a gun shop for a s**t load of diff reasons, taking it to friends place for show and tell etc, take the bloody thing with you if you need to if you are that worried about leaving your poor precious firearm at home whilst you are on holidays, as someone else said that's what home and contents is for, if it gets pinched so be it, might be an opportunity to upgrade to something better :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 19 Dec 2019, 8:43 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I think people way over think this whole thing, there are heaps of reasons to have a firearm in your car, least of which is taking it to a gun shop for a s**t load of diff reasons, taking it to friends place for show and tell etc, take the bloody thing with you if you need to if you are that worried about leaving your poor precious firearm at home whilst you are on holidays, as someone else said that's what home and contents is for, if it gets pinched so be it, might be an opportunity to upgrade to something better :drinks:

Yes, you can tell lies about why you happen to have a firearm in your vehicle, that doesn't mean it's legal. If you are actually going shooting then it's legal to have a firearm with you, if you're just doing the shopping it's not.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Dec 2019, 5:18 am

Safer at home in the safe than in a car IMO. If your worried add a basic alarm system.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation