Getting shafted online purchasing.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Getting shafted online purchasing.

Post by Tank » 19 Dec 2019, 12:56 pm

I’ve purchased and sold numerous firearms on line. My experiences have been good....no.....great! Until this stuff happened.

At what point is this thing excellent....believed unfired.....(?)

On returning the firearm for refund on the grounds it wasn’t as described the ‘dealer’ faffed around for a week before deciding to go pick it up from the post office and then announced it had been ‘squashed in transit’ and that I would have to wait for a refund until it had been ‘independently assessed’ he hadn’t even taken it out of the packaging.....
Don’t get me wrong....price is NOT the issue....this pirates description is my issue.

Love to hear peoples thoughts.

Merry bloody Christmas.

Tank.
Attachments
0F27BDDE-A481-4082-B212-A08F5F521CC5.jpeg
Here’s my problem......
0F27BDDE-A481-4082-B212-A08F5F521CC5.jpeg (227.85 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
5BD39F0C-E469-4977-B460-8FC842D53705.jpeg
Few scratches, general ware and tare....ok
5BD39F0C-E469-4977-B460-8FC842D53705.jpeg (79 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
702A4F29-4182-47BD-BBD1-D9154F6693D1.jpeg
More of the same.....signs of use.
702A4F29-4182-47BD-BBD1-D9154F6693D1.jpeg (58.81 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
D9439592-9214-4FA5-98C1-A711DB189F65.jpeg
Definitely a used item. Not shown a lot of love.
D9439592-9214-4FA5-98C1-A711DB189F65.jpeg (83.36 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
07F92E6B-EF1E-4F23-A873-2EDA83CC2C7F.jpeg
Ok....so it’s an older Super Blackhawk....what’s your point??
07F92E6B-EF1E-4F23-A873-2EDA83CC2C7F.jpeg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Getting shafted online purchasing.

Post by sungazer » 19 Dec 2019, 1:23 pm

I have had a couple of very bad experiences and it has made me very wary. One was a Sako barrel that had apparently only had a couple of hundred rounds through it. When I got it it had been re crowned who knows what it had been through. Private seller and I am out of pocket. Another was buying something off Australian Reloading Talk and Trade a set of calipers it was a scam from the start. The bloke never had then he was just taking money. Even worse this guy was in our Army so much for Honor. I bought a high end gun from a gun dealer and it turned out to have serious problems at least I was able to send that one back, but again out of pocket for PTA'a and Shipping. I hate to say it but there are some not so Fit and Proper Persons in the Gun World.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 19 Dec 2019, 1:29 pm

And how about the biggest scam.. usedguns website itself.

According to the owner an ad is made up of 3 things, description, price and picture. And he can only change one thing..... price.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Tank » 19 Dec 2019, 1:55 pm

As mentioned.....nothing but great experiences on line previously.
Usedguns were good re advice on what action I should take.
He maintained his description was accurate.....it wasn’t before and still isn’t.
He was going to string me out another 2 months on a refund.....on its way back to me now. I’ll use it....but it’s a tainted item....I doubt I’ll ever value it. Move it on at a considerable loss.
You live and learn.
BUYER BEWARE!
What should have been a great price isn’t. I’m the owner of a 20 year old Super Blackhawk in ‘meh’ condition....
Honour eh....
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Tank » 19 Dec 2019, 1:58 pm

Sad to hear that Sungazer.
My eyes are well open now.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 19 Dec 2019, 3:53 pm

Yeah I was pissed. I have met some really good blokes on the forums. They are true to their word and we have made some good friendships and done some good shooting together. I really like meeting some of the guys that are into different areas of shooting, and you would be surprised just how experienced and knowledgeable they are. So I take that on the positive side.

I probably piss sellers off now just asking a lot of questions some have just decided not to answer. I take those sellers as the not so genuine ones. Genuine guys are normally more than happy to tell you the complete history. Getting someone on the phone is probably the better course of action prior to buying. The times I have done that they have been good outcomes. I will have to stick to that policy in the future.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 19 Dec 2019, 4:46 pm

Tank you are covered by consumer law
the dealer will carry on and try drag it out but really you do expect it, this is the usual ploy taken to try and get you to give up
that handgun is not what was described and you have the proof in photo's,
the dealer is trying to get the money back from Australia post or to say you did not package the handgun properly causing damage, he is a mongrel b@stard
if you are persistent you will get a refund, you do not have to wait for him and Australia post
it is you as the sender who has to put in a claim with Australia post if there is any further damage but as you already have the photos showing the condition of the handgun before being sent,
tell him you want a refund sending an email of the gun before being sent with the photo's proving the handgun is not what was described
take the gun and get an independent assessment that will prove the gun is not as described
there's not many gun dealers who will give you your money back without a fight but they dont mind taking it
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 19 Dec 2019, 7:27 pm

I had problems as a seller. I sold an old Browning pump .22lr. In the family for 50 years, but not used hardly ever. My last box of ammo came from K Mart. I had a few photos up, described as good condition.

I was asked why not very good condition as it looked good in the photos? I told him why - it is 50 years old, and in its early life had not been oiled and had some minor pitting that I had shown in the photos. He asked what sort of group it shot - I was honest and told him we had never tried to shoot a small group, and had not even been fired in a number of years. I told him I could not see any issues with the barrel, which he was very interested in.

Anyhow, he seemed quite excited to get it, so we sorted out the sale. After he got it he called to say he wanted to return it as the barrel was no good - he had not fired it. He could see a problem that I could not. His dealer backed him up that it was no good. He told me that this was the third one he had bought and been unhappy with.

Anyway, given the costs involved of an interstate sale, I told him to do a refund would cost as much as the gun did all up, so I offered him a part refund if he wanted to keep it, which he agreed to. In the end with all the hassle, I wish I had just given away to a friend for his son to have. So I have learned a lesson, and will not do the same again.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Dec 2019, 9:53 pm

Be careful fellas,,,,,,,,, remember the rules.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 20 Dec 2019, 5:51 am

Die Judicii wrote:Be careful fellas,,,,,,,,, remember the rules.

Dont talk about fight club. ?

:-/ whats the rules.?
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Noisydad » 20 Dec 2019, 6:56 am

I’ve bought five off the various used gun sites and had a good experience each time. Maybe I’ve been lucky.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Tank » 20 Dec 2019, 9:57 am

I get it Marksman. I really do. But the thought of having this self righteous bastard having my hard earned and not having a skerrick to show for it got me fizzing. I asked him to return it as is in the post. I no longer care if I take a loss. I’ll use it for a year....decide if I can live with the fact it’s a tainted purchase and flog it with an accurate description and recoup what I can.
I will never forget the name of the scumbag who did this.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Tank » 20 Dec 2019, 9:59 am

Which rule is that DJ?
The one where we can’t be open and frank?
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Am88 » 20 Dec 2019, 2:02 pm

my first online purchase was a bad one, other then that they have all been good, It was a Miroku Mk10 Grade 3, listed as excellant condition, dealer add too, rung shop, organised, fairly priced too so thought all good. shotgun arrived and look like it had fallen off a truck, ends of the barrels all dinged up, bluing missing on rib, recoil pad wrecked, LUCKILY the timber was in the condition I expected. Shop wanted nothing to do with it and d!cked me around for a few weeks until finally I just said bugger it and kept it and fixed it.

Had an instance recently with a Sako A1, he was a collector, told me this thing was very rarely fired, best condition ever, safe queen, top dollar listed etc. after receiving more photo's you could see the bluing was worn off on the magazine box cover and side of the bolt knob, ok so been in a case a few times, when questioned the answer was oh yeah he took it out to the range every now and then shot it a few times and back in the case, the gentleman owned the gun for 15 odd years but so who knows how many times that happened. Pulled the pin on that one. Had couple of scopes I have bought that aren't exactly what I was hoping either, in fact I bought a 7x56 Kahles with "immaculate" Lenses which were deffinataly not. Sold scope on.

Kind of makes me feel dumb when I post adds and be honest about them, If I tell you it's as new with 20 shots fired, I bloody mean it. Cause I don't want a phone call to say it's not when someone receives it.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Dec 2019, 7:05 pm

If you search Usedguns including sold ads there are about a dozen of these listed. Maybe you can identify yours as being one of them and follow up with the previous seller?
https://www.usedguns.com.au/SearchResults.aspx?term=ruger&sold=True&currentad=True&cat=0&calibre=44+Mag&condition=0&state=0&page=2
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Dec 2019, 7:37 pm

I empathise with you Tank...

Ive had 5 cock-up transactions/almost transactions in the last 3 years...one of them direct from a local dealer too ffs...

My last one was with an interstate dealer selling a "new" rifle, & after a detailed discussion of not wanting it if its a demo model, i not only got a demo model, but also what appeared to be a relatvely well shot demo model...

Thankfully for me, a firm letter to the importer & some backing of some weight behind me if needed, & the importer took over & swapped it with no issue...

There are a lot of kunts selling gear on those sites mate...ive actually had 3 guys pull out of selling their own guns within a 9 month period during the 2018 year...fuking time wasting idiots they are...
Coming up with stupid reasons like "ive decided i really cant part with it as its a family heirloom/my favourite gun", as well as no reason aside from "ill call the cops on you if you dont let me transfer the money back--im not selling it...!!..."

A sad state of affairs is our society, that we have to put up with total lying theiving fukwits, that when all is said & done, deserve to get a good flogging with the stress they cause, not to mention the time they waste & of course, the money they steal...And it IS theft--period...!!

Go hard on him/the dealer--dont lie down...ill back you if i can...these mongrels need to be exposed & named i rekon...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Am88 » 21 Dec 2019, 7:12 am

Stix wrote:There are a lot of kunts selling gear on those sites mate...ive actually had 3 guys pull out of selling their own guns within a 9 month period during the 2018 year...fuking time wasting idiots they are...
Coming up with stupid reasons like "ive decided i really cant part with it as its a family heirloom/my favourite gun", as well as no reason aside from "ill call the cops on you if you dont let me transfer the money back--im not selling it...!!..."

A sad state of affairs is our society, that we have to put up with total lying theiving fukwits, that when all is said & done, deserve to get a good flogging with the stress they cause, not to mention the time they waste & of course, the money they steal...And it IS theft--period...!!

The Old fella I just bought another rifle off had that issue as well, tyre kickers, not transferring money, pulling out etc. I rung him up to purchase and as it was so close to chrissy, house reno's and the rest I asked if I could put a solid deposit ($1500 odd total purchase) and pay the rest on the Friday, at first he was dead against saying that's what others had done and not payed, turned down buyers because of it, some blokes even putting $100 bucks on it and pulling out and he had to send money back, and he got a bit rowdy. I had a bit more of a chat to him and once we discussed what to do transfer wise and asked a little more info on the gun, he mentioned he knows my local gunsmith and he calmed right down and we talked for about 20 minutes after that just talking about how he hunts, loads that worked well in the rifle blah blah. I promptly put the deposit in and as soon as I had the rest I transferred it. Rung afterwards to discuss and check payment had processed and he thanked me for being an honest young fella and that he was happy it went to me.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tank » 22 Dec 2019, 11:52 am

It angers me to hear how many cases of this go on. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, experiences and sage advice.
Ultimately it’s probably symptomatic of society today....online there’s no real consequence to our actions. You’re not in the same room with the bloke you just stuffed.....
I agree these kunts need to be called out, named, shamed but he’s probably got a mate who’s a QC.....and just can’t be f***ed with f***ing total wankers.
I’m booking it down to experience and will go lay hands on stuff I seriously want!
Reminds me.....when’s the next Australian Military Arms Auction on in Melbourne?
Anyone know where I can find a real nice Martini Enfield .303 Rifle or carbine?
Good hunting guys and thanks again!
I will never forget this scumbags name.

Regs,
Tank.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation