Advice needed for Tasmania

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Advice needed for Tasmania

Post by Wapiti » 23 Dec 2019, 11:37 am

A question for those in the know, are there any calibres that are hard to bring into Tassy, from a shooter who may move from interstate?
For example, applying for a licence in TAS, if having one from a different state? Do they have Occupational, or Primary Producer, categories? Cat C and H for PP?
And calibres, if someone's got a few 300WMs, 300RUM and 338 Lapua, given the game down there, do these pose any problems?

I ask because the regs don't always tell the story, for example here, being stuffed around officially depends on the prejudices of the bloke pulling the strings in weapons licensing at the time, laws come second.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Advice needed for Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 23 Dec 2019, 3:16 pm

from my limited knowledge, the only calibre they really question down here is 338 lapua being that we dont really have any game down here that needs that big a bang, so 338 is only really for long range target ( only a few clubs shoot ocer 600 mtrs ) . . cat H and C i believe are the same as other states.. you'll have to join a club to keep your cat H (are you SSAA member.? ) and cat C I reckon you'll have to prove your eligibility down here.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 23 Dec 2019, 3:18 pm

ps.. we call it "firearms branch' 'in Tassie.. we dont use weapons here, we use hunting or sporting firearms, or y'know... guns. haha
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Wapiti » 24 Dec 2019, 11:46 am

Well, yeah, the word weapons I agree with you, to me they are sporting tools.
But that's what the joints called in QLD, "weapons licensing", for a reason I'm sure.

Bugger, were not into range shooting, yes I'm in the SSAA and SU because I believe in being part of a group. I wish others could put aside personal differences, clubs in it for a job etc, we'd be right.

Looks like Cat C and H for primary production would be out. You don't have feral pigs or TAS Tigers wanting to take out a piece of you I guess. Bugger.

Any TAS members got a 300 or similar registered for hunting?
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation