Quoting

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Quoting

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2019, 10:47 pm

Can anybody see any benefit at all to the current system of not allowing us to quote the posts we're responding to? All it does is destroy the flow of conversation and create adisjointed mess. On the PC it's painful enough, but trying work around it on a phone is driving me nuts.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Quoting

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Dec 2019, 11:19 pm

Yep I agree it's a PITA having to delete a quote if there are 2 or more there, can't remember it being like that until recently.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 24 Dec 2019, 11:53 pm

it would be more disjointed without it,or people wouldn't be able to a reply to a post that was written a few hours ago, you can always delete some of the quotes..maybe a bit hard on a phone :unknown: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2019, 1:01 am

tom604 wrote:it would be more disjointed without it,or people wouldn't be able to a reply to a post that was written a few hours ago, you can always delete some of the quotes..maybe a bit hard on a phone :unknown: :thumbsup:

Why would being able to quote the statement, and the resulting comment, be more dissjointed? And why would time passed matter?

Go and read some threads from last month and compare them with mess we're seeing currently. Not only do threads get confused, the format is screwed up by trying to edit the quotes.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Dec 2019, 8:46 am

Agree. Not the best
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 25 Dec 2019, 9:22 am

bladeracer wrote:Can anybody see any benefit at all to the current system of not allowing us to quote the posts we're responding to? All it does is destroy the flow of conversation and create adisjointed mess. On the PC it's painful enough, but trying work around it on a phone is driving me nuts.

went back and reread the first post,and saw that it wasn't about quoting it was about not being able to quote so i tried it and i can quote? system changed? :unknown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by marksman » 25 Dec 2019, 9:32 am

totally agree :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by trekin » 25 Dec 2019, 11:08 am

went back and reread the first post,and saw that it wasn't about quoting it was about not being able to quote so i tried it and i can quote? system changed? :unknown:
Yes, but you can't multi quote, which can make conversations a disjointed and hard to follow.
quote.JPG
quote.JPG (81.64 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Clem » 25 Dec 2019, 1:26 pm

tom604 wrote:it would be more disjointed without it,or people wouldn't be able to a reply to a post that was written a few hours ago, you can always delete some of the quotes..maybe a bit hard on a phone :unknown: :thumbsup:

bladeracer wrote:Why would being able to quote the statement, and the resulting comment, be more dissjointed? And why would time passed matter?

Go and read some threads from last month and compare them with mess we're seeing currently. Not only do threads get confused, the format is screwed up by trying to edit the quotes.

:drinks:
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 25 Dec 2019, 1:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:Can anybody see any benefit at all to the current system of not allowing us to quote the posts we're responding to? All it does is destroy the flow of conversation and create adisjointed mess. On the PC it's painful enough, but trying work around it on a phone is driving me nuts.

Ive already mentioned it Blade...but i got no responses...although i stopped short of making a dedicated thread on the subject (again, mostly due to the lack of responses)...

But overall, Its ridiculous...it makes it impossible to continue a conversation, stops some people in joining in a conversation--which might be ok on the surface, but i dont think is particularly useful when discussing certain technical topics...

Where two seperate conversations break off in the one thread, & both are relevant, it makes for an utter mess...and while im sure these changes are made to minimise the havock that excessive back quoting can cause, it inevitably makes a thread, & any valuable info it contains, near on impossible to follow---& this is particularly true when old points are resurfaced many pages later.

It also encourages a little frustration, where the quotes are mis-quoted, due to having to remove the "quote" signs from a quote...people read these mis quotes & get the wrong idea....

There has been many a time where ive had to go back 3 pages to see what someone "actually" said...i cant be bothered now, & while that may please some (or many... :lol: ), im sure im not alone, & thus the system actually discourages involvement from those who are busy...

I think its fraught with danger myself--from the mods perspective...
Understanding how much time this forum type of social media takes up in our lives, not being able to easily follow a conversation & have people mis-quoted is just encouraging some to leave, & i have no doubt, as i said, also stopping others from joining in...both of which id imagine is not the desired outcome...

If the need for deleting old quotes on a phone arises, its still easier than the mess that has been created with the changes...
I am fumble thumb at the best of times, but to hold finger on a word, wait for the cursers to come up, then drag them to delete what you want can be made easier by zooming the screen in--yes trickier on a phone, but like i said, easier than trying to navigate the existing mess...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Dec 2019, 8:23 pm

trekin wrote:went back and reread the first post,and saw that it wasn't about quoting it was about not being able to quote so i tried it and i can quote? system changed? :unknown:
Yes, but you can't multi quote, which can make conversations a disjointed and hard to follow.
quote.JPG

Why did it change?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Dec 2019, 8:24 pm

I never used to have to delete quotes in order to reply to a reply, bloody stupid idea really!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by trekin » 26 Dec 2019, 3:36 am

bigfellascott wrote:Why did it change?

Don't know mate, social experiment maybe?? But your post shows exactly what problems are arising, as the first sentence in the quote box in your post was a question asked by tom604 but is now coming up as attributed to me. And now people will have to find your post to see what I'm talking about.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Dec 2019, 4:04 am

Yep it's a mess alright, needs looking at for sure!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Off topic - General conversation