I'm in a pickle

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

I'm in a pickle

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Jan 2020, 8:12 pm

I'm In A Pickle
And it's about the topic, "Hi Tek bullet coating", in Reloading Ammunition", and the sub-subject of moly coating. First, I have no experience with anything to do with this topic. But I was told years ago that an old boy stopped using moly in his Range Rifle because he could not clean the stuff out of his bore.
I did not want to commit the sin of hijacking KennyA's topic, so I abstained from posting there. I should point out too that the old boy was coating jacketed bullets and not lead. Trouble is, I don't know if that is relevant anyway.
It's too complicated for me and it reminds me of the saying, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".
Hope I am not misleading/confusing anyone.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: I'm in a pickle

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Jan 2020, 12:50 am

G'day Wm.Traynor,
Years ago when I shot fullbore some of us would use products like Parker Hales "Never Nickel", and clean with Motty paste. Never Nickel was wiped on the 303 bullet before loading and is simply Moly Disulphide grease and some additives. Never had a problem with hard cleaning. The other method more common now is to actually coat the bullet with Moly straight over the jacket. Again, never had an issue if cleaned thoroughly except you needed to shoot up to 10 coated rounds to condition the barrel before the next comp. Most of us, myself included, simply used a carbon cleaner and left any moly in the barrel, then cleaned with a high ammonia cleaner like Sweets and start again. One thing to understand is Moly coating does NOT improve accuracy, but it can help slow down the accuracy falling off during periods between cleaning. It is also probably the 2nd most argued subject in Target Rifle, Cheers.
Attachments
Parker Hale lube 002.JPG
Parker Hale lube 002.JPG (515.11 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
Parker Hale lube 001.JPG
Parker Hale lube 001.JPG (535.38 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Jan 2020, 7:56 pm

Thanks No.1; I knew I was doing the right thing in not hijacking too much :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Maxjon » 18 Jan 2020, 8:21 pm

I'm using a mix of moly grease and beeswax for lube of my cast bullets. Best lube I've ever used! Zero leading!! And accurate in the 308 3006.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Jan 2020, 9:06 pm

Bullbarrel033 wrote:I'm using a mix of moly grease and beeswax for lube of my cast bullets. Best lube I've ever used! Zero leading!! And accurate in the 308 3006.

G'day Bullbarrel033
Maybe a silly question, but what is the recipe/mix proportions for your lube, & what do you use for clean-up...?

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 18 Jan 2020, 9:09 pm

They dont make tins like that anymore No1...

I just love the look of that old stuff...seeing the print on the labels is like being a kid again & wandering through Grandpa's shed ...!!

:)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 19 Jan 2020, 7:45 am

Stix wrote:They dont make tins like that anymore No1...

I just love the look of that old stuff...seeing the print on the labels is like being a kid again & wandering through Grandpa's shed ...!!

I did a job recently that required me to solder a plate onto a water pump impellor. I knew I needed flux for this job, and that dad would likely still have some. He is a retired electrician (74 yrs old), so in the old days they used it all the time. Yes he still had some. I made a comment on the very old tin. He had a think for a moment and said he thinks it is the only tin of flux he ever bought, purchased as an apprentice in 1960! :mrgreen:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 19 Jan 2020, 9:47 am

Apologies Wm.Traynor...

Here you are being a gentleman & making a thread to avoid hijacking/digressing on an existing one... & here i do it to you... :oops:

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2020, 10:06 am

Bullbarrel033 wrote:I'm using a mix of moly grease and beeswax for lube of my cast bullets. Best lube I've ever used! Zero leading!! And accurate in the 308 3006.

Mmm Ive often thought to graphite. But this the first ive seen it mentioned anywhere.

Id guess bees wax + enough grease to get the right consistancy, say 25%.

After thought, i wonder how that would go with BP?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jan 2020, 10:43 am

Stix wrote:Apologies Wm.Traynor...

Here you are being a gentleman & making a thread to avoid hijacking/digressing on an existing one... & here i do it to you... :oops:

No harm done at all, Stix :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation