Corona virus

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Prepping for corona and the breakdown of society

Post by gazza » 30 Jan 2020, 7:50 pm

Anything but corona.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Jan 2020, 8:40 pm

Mate all you need is a lemon tree
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 31 Jan 2020, 6:26 am

Aids, Sars, bird flu, and swine flu along with the just plain old common flu ssem to have killed more people in the past. I dont get why the WHO are making such a big deal out of this one.

Dont worry I am prepped but I don't think this will be the one. We cam closer with the recent bushfires and States being declared emergency zones and the use of Reservists. I know it was all with the aim of helping but they are the same steps that would happen if the government needed to control the people.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Am88 » 31 Jan 2020, 8:22 am

First thing I'll be doing is slying getting my neighbors goats to keep them cool and fresh in the freezer next to all the deer :lol: Can't really say I have any canned food stored, got plenty of rice and 3000 litre's of rain water. I think I got plenty of time to worry yet. When it starts killing more people then the common flu I'll start to worry. Until then I'll keep my lemons stocked up so I don't run out for my Corona's. :drinks:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Corona virus

Post by Stix » 31 Jan 2020, 9:05 am

Not looking good...

The effects of the virus now slamming women of Sydney...

https://www.ntnews.com.au/lifestyle/mum ... aeb1aa6ac8

:lol:

(Got that tag off the link in your Sports Rorts/Bridgete Mcnzie link Bill... :thumbsup: :drinks: )
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 31 Jan 2020, 9:51 am

I find the doomsday prepper show a bit of a joke at times. Living on a farm it is normal to have a whole lot more resources on hand. For example Drinking water I have 5 tanks which could be used. 3 are dedicated full time to drinking water tanks a 180,000 L and 2 *22,500 I keep the two smaller ones full but isolated from the normal inlet. which has been very handy in the last few weeks as the main tank became contaminated after the big dust storms and heavy rain. By just changing two valves I am again on clean water.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bill » 31 Jan 2020, 10:15 am

Funny stuff Stix
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 31 Jan 2020, 10:18 am

sungazer wrote:Aids, Sars, bird flu, and swine flu along with the just plain old common flu ssem to have killed more people in the past. I dont get why the WHO are making such a big deal out of this one.

Dont worry I am prepped but I don't think this will be the one. We cam closer with the recent bushfires and States being declared emergency zones and the use of Reservists. I know it was all with the aim of helping but they are the same steps that would happen if the government needed to control the people.

They may well have killed more people in the past.
Problem is, the coronavirus is not yet in the past. Who knows how long it will last, perhaps mutate, etc., etc.
When it can be shown to have passed, then you can question the WHO precautionary action/s.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Jan 2020, 10:42 am

G'day No1_49er,
Not in the past mate, 8200 dead from the normal flu in America alone last year, over 400 Aussies dead from flu so far this season and 61,200 dead worldwide last year. This is normal. Coronavirus has a long way to catch up, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 31 Jan 2020, 10:54 am

Agreed sungazer, Some of them I watch I laugh and others I think to myself Thats a good idea, I was just lucky I had the water tank when I moved in, I want to install another larger tank 40 or 50 thousand litres but one step at a time. I dont have enough room in my house as it is, let alone to stock pile food.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2020, 10:54 am

It kills about 2-3% of those that catch it. Normal flue is nowhere near that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 31 Jan 2020, 11:15 am

Being a person that like to save money also helps my preps as we have rice for dinner as the side dish a huge % of the time. I buy it when it is 50% off taking it from $24 for a 10kg bag often down to $12-13 per bag. I get about 12 bags each time it is on special aw we use just a bit more than a bag a month.With the Farm stock, the local wildlife and the home grown vegetables It might be a bit plainer of a diet but we could survive quite a long time, even without power. the meat can be dried or smoked and re hydrated and cooked at a later date.

People in the third world may not have a lot of things but knowing how to survive without mod cons like power for refrigeration will put them well ahead of the pack when TSHTF.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Am88 » 31 Jan 2020, 11:24 am

and the amount of people who would probably get the runs from eating tinned food would be a few I reckon, I know tinned chunky soup deal things do not agree with me at all :lol:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 31 Jan 2020, 12:27 pm

Well with regard to choosing foods for long term storage, i learned something the other day...

Canned food...

I hate to admit it, but i opened a can of spagetti the other day...
It was a can from my "bush box"--an old basket that pretty much lives in my car with a good bit of (relatively) non-perishable foods, things like rice, cans of fish (tuna salmon etc)...

Well it was one of those ring pull cans that have that perforation in the lid for easy opening...
It felt funny to open, & half way through the pull i looked closely at it & saw hints of rust along the perforated bit...
The spag was clag...!!

The can had enough rust along that perforation to have penetrated through & allowed some oxygen/air in to fowl the food...

The can has never been wet.

Not really sure how long hat can has been there, may have been in the box for a year or two, but still canned food usually lasts.

So it would appear our lazyness & ingenuity with the idea of easy can opening wont help us with regard to tinned food being a reliable long term food storage solution.

I actually find this incredibly ironic that we've done this to cans, because thats what tinned food was developed for in the first place... :crazy:

Having discovered this, personally id prefer to go back opening cans the old way for a more reliable method of storage...

I guess it'll take an apocalyptic event for this to be recognised as a genuine problem...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Jan 2020, 3:27 pm

G'day Stix,
Canning was never meant to be long term storage (by which I mean over 12 months) at any time. You should check a cans Use By date or replace every year at a minimum. Dry goods are your best long term storage option. Even with proper lids a can should not be relied upon to exceed 24 months even under ideal storage conditions let alone in the car! Dried maize has been cooked and eaten after centuries in storage, rice and corn would do similar, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Potatoes » 31 Jan 2020, 6:17 pm

sungazer wrote:I find the doomsday prepper show a bit of a joke at times. Living on a farm it is normal to have a whole lot more resources on hand. For example Drinking water I have 5 tanks which could be used. 3 are dedicated full time to drinking water tanks a 180,000 L and 2 *22,500 I keep the two smaller ones full but isolated from the normal inlet. which has been very handy in the last few weeks as the main tank became contaminated after the big dust storms and heavy rain. By just changing two valves I am again on clean water.

One of the funniest ones i saw was this guy prepping for some catrstrophic event and his response was delivering essential oils to injured and sick people by drone. If someone delivered me essential oils id like well thats great, but what about the healing crystals?

The more look into and think about what i usually cook i’m thinking plenty of tinned tomatoes, whch is a good base for dried pasta and rice dishes, pickled vegies, dehydrated or dried foods. Rations seem a bit overpriced
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Stix » 31 Jan 2020, 7:05 pm

Thanks No1...
And Yes you're right...

So ill clarify...my in the car, is the box i throw in the car for paddock trips...I am slack & sometimes it gets left in there for an extra day or 2--which is a bonus when i get home late the night before work & can rob a can of tuna for lunch the next day, but it doesn't actually live in the car...

And i should've been clear about "long term", but id consider one year, for wet preserved foods, well & truly long term storage.
Infact, anything over 2 weeks out of a fridge if its wet is amazing...
And i dont worry about expiry dates on cans because they're almost always turned over...with the odd exception, like this can of spag that i found at the bottom....
.not to mention with regular consumed tinned foods & marketing/labels these days always changing, its relatively easy to get a grasp on how old something is...(well i do my own shopping).

I mostly use canned tomatoes & buy a tray when they are cheap-(sometimes my local gets big shipments in & sell em for sub 50 cents...)-used as bases for everything that gets dumped in the slow cooker or pressure cooker...& ive opened plenty a can of tomato's from the pantry thats exceeded a year with no problems--you know when you pierce the can (pssstt) & empty into a bowl if its no good.

Ive seen cans in the supermarket with the perforations dented in, with the seal broken--granted not often, but have seen it...

I guesss my point is the perforated cans these days, are definately a shorter life & i think far less reliable/durable than the standard cans we've had for the bulk of the time we've had canneries in AU.

In any case...my experience with this can, & you're prompting has spurred me into going through that box on the weekend...& if that can of spag is anything to go by, looks like i might be having tuna for lunch this weekend... :oops:
:lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 31 Jan 2020, 7:57 pm

s**t I find bottles of sauce and other stuff years over its use by date. I hate to think how old some of the cans of stuff like spaghetti and meat balls may be over. I think I still have some from the 2009 bush fire relief packages.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by trekin » 01 Feb 2020, 6:24 am

Oldbloke wrote:It kills about 2-3% of those that catch it. Normal flue is nowhere near that.

No mate, it is 2% of those who have been reported as infected, How many 10's, 100's or 1000's where infected before the first recorded death, no one knows yet, of the 18 million population of province Hubei (where the epicenter Wuhan, 11 million, is situated). Of the 150ish recorded cases outside of China, there have been no deaths (as yet). The death rate from SARS and MERS 10% and 34% respectively, so this one has a long way to go yet.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tophet1 » 01 Feb 2020, 7:15 am

To keep things in perspective. In the first four months of 2019, three distinct (Identified) viruses hospitalized 10,000 Australians and killed 100. Exact figures are hard to obtain as the cause of morbidity is really determined by the individual M.O..
Did we get anything from the press ? Just a bad flu season or there was more dramatic news elsewhere.
tophet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tophet1 » 01 Feb 2020, 7:18 am

sungazer wrote:Aids, Sars, bird flu, and swine flu along with the just plain old common flu ssem to have killed more people in the past. I dont get why the WHO are making such a big deal out of this one.

The W.H.O. need to justify their existence or lose funding.
tophet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 Feb 2020, 7:30 am

WHO have explained why they have declared this as global emergency. Go read the reasoning there.

Still currently looking like a media beatup and a storm in a tea cup. But it does depend on China to contain this virus until vaccine can be made and it might take a few months or more for that... until then if allowed unchecked and if drastic steps not taken it could easily become a global epidemic.... for Australia we have great risk as a lot of tourists and students travel to/from China. But i think our health services are better and the rate of deaths would be quite lower than China.

just imagine though if this disease (or any deadly virus) spreads to a third world African country or south american country, potentially could have tens of thousands dead, and the 3rd world country probably cannot pay for vaccines as well so drugs will need to be subsidized by western countries
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 01 Feb 2020, 7:45 am

I'm a bit shocked no one has claimed the virus is caused by global warming actually :lol:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 01 Feb 2020, 7:51 am

Ziad wrote:WHO have explained why they have declared this as global emergency. Go read the reasoning there.

Still currently looking like a media beatup and a storm in a tea cup. But it does depend on China to contain this virus until vaccine can be made and it might take a few months or more for that... until then if allowed unchecked and if drastic steps not taken it could easily become a global epidemic.... for Australia we have great risk as a lot of tourists and students travel to/from China. But i think our health services are better and the rate of deaths would be quite lower than China.

just imagine though if this disease (or any deadly virus) spreads to a third world African country or south american country, potentially could have tens of thousands dead, and the 3rd world country probably cannot pay for vaccines as well so drugs will need to be subsidized by western countries

All the countries where infections have been recorded, some of which may be considered third world by some (at least their health care services).
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
A lot of worst diseases/viruses start in some of the poorest third world countries.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 01 Feb 2020, 8:07 am

Am88 wrote:I'm a bit shocked no one has claimed the virus is caused by global warming actually :lol:

And when they do, it will be us poor bloody Aussies who will be blamed because of all the pollution we pump out.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 01 Feb 2020, 8:33 am

Am88 wrote:I'm a bit shocked no one has claimed the virus is caused by global warming actually :lol:

I saw a report the other day that said a side effect of the lockdown in Wuhan was a noticeable reduction of airbourne polutants in that city. Maybe we have hit criticle mass and now good old mother nature is taking a hand in reducing polution by reducing the population of the worst offending country.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 01 Feb 2020, 8:50 am

People are craping on about Chinas ability to contain the Virus. Can you think of any other country that would or could put a city of 11 million people into lockdown?

s**t just think if that would even ever be possible in Australia in citys like Sydney or Melboune. No trains, No public transport of any kind, no planes in or out domestic or international.

Its not just China's politics that enable that lockdown to occur but the people of China themselves being very responsible, understanding of the impact they can have on the rest of the country and the world.

Wait till a virus happens in India and then its time to be worried. It will take off and spread like wildfire.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by trekin » 01 Feb 2020, 8:56 am

sungazer wrote:People are craping on about Chinas ability to contain the Virus. Can you think of any other country that would or could put a city of 11 million people into lockdown?

s**t just think if that would even ever be possible in Australia in citys like Sydney or Melboune. No trains, No public transport of any kind, no planes in or out domestic or international.

Its not just China's politics that enable that lockdown to occur but the people of China themselves being very responsible, understanding of the impact they can have on the rest of the country and the world.

Wait till a virus happens in India and then its time to be worried. It will take off and spread like wildfire.

As at yesterday, India had one reported case, if this virus does have an R0 rating of between 2.0 and 3.1, as they say it has, then there should be at least four more new cases cases reported today.
And I don't thinh anyone is critising China'a abilty to contain it, which is pretty easy to do when the population knows the threat to shoot is real.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by perentie » 02 Feb 2020, 7:07 am

just imagine though if this disease (or any deadly virus) spreads to a third world African country or south american country, potentially could have tens of thousands dead, and the 3rd world country probably cannot pay for vaccines as well so drugs will need to be subsidized by western countries[/quote]
All the countries where infections have been recorded, some of which may be considered third world by some (at least their health care services).
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
A lot of worst diseases/viruses start in some of the poorest third world countries.[/quote]

Natures way of reducing our overpopulation. :o
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 02 Feb 2020, 10:33 am

l've first hand seen the effects of a flu/virus from china in a bloke l was working with
this was not corona and was around 5 years ago he got the flu/virus from his chinese wife after she returned from china visiting relos
he was a tight prick and would not go home till after 4 hours we told him he would get paid for the day, he was really sick
this guy ended up in hospital under quarantine the next day with type A influenza, they told him he could have died
when he was released from the hospital he was in lock down at home for a couple of weeks not allowed visitors or to go anywhere,
his wife wore a face mask to do shopping, she did not have the flu full blown and carried it and spread it when she first got back from china
there were reports on the news of small outbreaks in the melbourne region at the time and for people to be careful ect...

this was not an epidemic and considered normal for china
the problem is we are not china and dont want the chinese flu's or viruses here
if my mother were to get she would be dead no questions asked

l agree with perentie "Natures way of reducing our overpopulation"
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation