Please not too much water

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Please not too much water

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2020, 1:53 pm

Decided to put a cam in the mid of a creek bed to get cam at ground level. At a hole I don’t visit much. A day or two later I’m staking out that hole at 230 am. I hear this funny noise and Deisel is cocking his head to the side and leaning fwd, low growling looking through the binos I could see shallow water creeping along th dry creek bed , gradually gaining momentum..... it continued to the point that had me thinking I don’t know how much is coming. I had to get down there quick to rescue my trail cam and pull the stake out of the sand. I’m just so lucky I happened to be there as it happened esp when I don’t go there much. I don’t know if you can understand unless you have see it in the flesh, I mean We have all seen the first flowing water in a creek or river in Africa on a doco but for me sitting here in the middle or drought ravaged nsw it was a truly magical sight. , there were fish jumping and a tortoise just about having an orgasm because he was being hammered by oodles of life giving water that was going to ensure that he did not perish in a soupy muddy hole that was bound to dry up completely....". I always thought that money makes the world go round but not anymore, Water is it. It is everything. Without it we are all screwed,,, the next day there was fifteen feet of water above that sandy creek bed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Please not too much water

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2020, 2:03 pm

Couple of days later my trail cam has another lucky escape. Many miles down stream I set it up above the remote waterhole. But I’m leaving tonight so I had to collect my cam and my hi seat and pack it up in preparation for my journey home. As I neared the location I started to wonder if the water had gone that far and was I actually goin to b able to drive to the waterhole with all the creek banks spilling water out onto the flats ... I saw what I did not want to see. I stopped short and had to walk 300 m ( less some distance for exaggeration) through knee high water to get to my cam spot. The water level was still flowing slightly and I could see the water level 20 mm below the base of my cam. I got in there fast I think next time I’ll b more carefull setting it up .....bugger I almost forgot. After brekky I could here the whoop whoop of a chopper and shots being fired. And then later as I got out of the car and started wading towards the camera set up I could hear the chopper and many shots only much closer this time .... I was glad to be out in the open wearing a bright white t shirt ..I could not see the chopper and I hoped it was shooting down or 45 degrees ..... I managed to get all my gear out of the area and drove back to my accom
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2020, 2:09 pm

Water Chanel before the water. Crow feeding on one of my foxes
Attachments
CDAD626F-6267-407E-977D-B5C8A0CB967E.png
CDAD626F-6267-407E-977D-B5C8A0CB967E.png (194.59 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2020, 2:15 pm

Turning chopper
Attachments
59304FD3-6AE8-4AE2-A278-F033CB02A9A6.png
59304FD3-6AE8-4AE2-A278-F033CB02A9A6.png (217.31 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2020, 2:17 pm

Chopper is at top of photo
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2020, 2:19 pm

That was pic from trail cam just before I rescued it
Attachments
4B90FD07-E5BC-4DC2-AE8B-5F47341E8158.png
4B90FD07-E5BC-4DC2-AE8B-5F47341E8158.png (203.64 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2020, 2:24 pm

Trail cam sitting top of concrete/ steel water gate with water and silt approaching
Attachments
8260FC1D-641A-4027-A1C8-4C97AAA15DBD.jpeg
8260FC1D-641A-4027-A1C8-4C97AAA15DBD.jpeg (257.61 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2020, 2:26 pm

Perhaps I should have taken advantage of all that water and had a dip. It’s hot enough.....with all those rotting pigs and mangy foxes , Perhaps not
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jan 2020, 6:19 am

Normally it’s eerily quiet as I sit in the paddocks at night scanning for pigs , but on my final night even though I was roughly a k from the creek all the birds and frogs were making a total racket in response to the arrival of all that water .. I calculated roughly 27 million us gallons of water now filled the creek on the northern boundary of the hunting block , and in some places it flowed out across the flats too creating swamps ( which I intend hunting) ...... all the wildlife were not just communicating or advertising for a breeding partner, they were rejoicing, They were partying real hard to the point I nearly called the cops
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 30 Jan 2020, 6:26 am

Great to see that a lot of places have received some good falls. I know this hasn’t broken the drought in a lot of places. Here is hoping those who still need it get some in the not to distant future.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Jan 2020, 6:31 am

No wonder water is source of life for all animals... and humans alike
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jan 2020, 12:47 pm

I was up the cape York once hunting a remote 40 k long creek on a two day walk ... we had been doing this for years no problem But this new creek we tried had no intermittent waterholes like the others. .. hunting mid October on foot looking for water with a dry throat was tough and we started to get worried just a bit of even warm water would have been nice. I saved a cup of my own pee just in case and the only reason I did not drink it is because I was not sure if it was good or bad for me ...... normally the thought of doing this would probably be a bit repulsive .... but I can honestly say with no hesitation that pouring a cup of warm pee into my mouth and swallowing it down my throat would have felt real good. And if anybody can’t understand that then you have never been real thirsty before ...... to cut a long story short we used maps and gps to find isolated swamps to the north but the first two were dry , then we found a wet one and I’m alive to recall the adventure .....since then I have researched this emergency action and it appears that drinking the first lot of urine is of benefit to your body but after that next time u pee the urine is so concentrated that it’s harmful ..... so cheers to full water bottles and wet creeks from now on Water is gold
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jan 2020, 2:13 pm

Blr243 wrote: Water is gold

So is pee,,,,,,,,,,, (in color) that is. :lol:

On the subject of survival,,,,,, similar rules apply for the drinking of sea water.

If you wait till you are dehydrated and then drink it,,,, the result is BAD.
But if you start drinking it before you are dehydrated,,,, the body will tolerate it for quite a while.
The general rule of thumb is one tablespoon every hour. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jan 2020, 3:16 pm

Any pig or dingo sightings last night?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jan 2020, 3:17 pm

Any pig or dingo sightings last night?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Jan 2020, 4:35 pm

Blr243 wrote:Any pig or dingo sightings last night?

Nothing Mate,,,, it's like I imagine the aftermath of some catastrophic event.
All I got for my troubles and twelve and a half hours,,,,, was 2 feckin ticks and a bull ant bite.

The night before, when I got caught in a storm and packed up quickly,, I lost my cap.
This morning I found it, gave it a shake, and put it back on.
Then got nailed by one of those big red meat bull ants.
He musta been up under the seam of the hat. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jan 2020, 6:04 pm

Lots of ticks at my hunt place last month I found 12 crawling on me in the week I was there. Saw none the week just gone and never seen any on myself all year before that. My mate lost his hat on 320 thousand acres cape York. Green army giggle hat. We found it next year after the wet season
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation