Applying for Govt job...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Applying for Govt job...

Post by perentie » 26 Feb 2020, 7:04 am

Well here's a test one for ya,,,,,,
What is the difference between steel cable (like that used on a winch) and steel cable used on a Crane ??[/quote]

Depends if its overwound or underwound.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 26 Feb 2020, 7:12 am

Stix wrote:lol...
Try discussing the legal size of steps with a graduate architect who knows everything...

It's funny cause I get that at work now, I'm a boilermaker and a steelwork detail draftsman, I wouldn't call me smart ie. Maths. but one way I am smart is how things go together, problem solving, I'm also pretty handy with engines and the like rebuilding quite a few between bikes and cars, I get a good kick when the young fellas come back from TAFE with puffy chests like they just learnt 20 years worth of skills.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CRF » 26 Feb 2020, 7:41 am

I've worked in and alongside government my whole career.

The job application will have a list of key selection criteria. You just need to address each of these. I generally have written a third to half a page on each question.

You don't need to always have the actual experience in the industry if you can give examples of how what you have done prior can relate to it or how your experiences and skills would enable you to pick something up quickly that can be enough.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Feb 2020, 10:19 am

Wombat wrote:AP5's and Mazda E2000 vans too etc etc. But - only on the left hand side.

Yep, that's the whole point on having em. Works against the nuts undoing themselves. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Feb 2020, 10:29 am

Stix wrote:I could PM the basic details or link to the role if you think it/you could help or offer any advice...?
But probably not something to be making public... :)

You make it sound like unless your in the secret service, nobody would even get to hear about the position,,, let alone apply for it.
:lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Feb 2020, 10:39 am

Hes probably worried that the govt will make the link of stix with his real name and not give him the job... cuz he hates Gretta the Beretta
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 26 Feb 2020, 11:37 am

More like a work cover insector type role .
Normally gove just hve a list type with them of things they are looking at so just work through them point by point and the biggy these day if you have a Facebook clean it all the little groupes your in ,They will be looked at ( so remove you membership of THE KKK or things of that nature I would take that a bit to the extreme I have ben telling people if they have hobbies that people may not like IE Shooting or what ever S&M have a few different facebook accounts in different personalitys on GooGle)
Easy way to clean Make a New personality under goodle and create a gmail account for the new person and supply all job applications WITH THAT EMAIL only. Open a Facebook for that person if they ask you have just gone on the net belive me they will look .
Most people have way to much info on the internet an its too easy for people to look you up do you have a linked in account I. watched when the boss discounted an applicant on the strength of somthing in linkedin.
Its a bit like when cops say you have the right to remain silent (but not the brains to do so I hope is what they are thinking )
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Feb 2020, 1:34 pm

pomemax wrote: Easy way to clean Make a New personality under goodle and create a gmail account for the new person and supply all job applications WITH THAT EMAIL only.

I'd moot "Secret Squirrel"

Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Feb 2020, 1:53 pm

My experience in trying to get a government job was with applying for a job in Antarctica, got right through to interview, after which my prospective direct boss indicated that I had a very good chance.
We all then had to do group sessions where we were given certain scenarios and had to show problem solving and "outside the square" thinking. I gave them solutions to the problems put to us using my own real world experience, to very similar situations, that had given successful outcomes.
There were also hypothetical situations we had to give a response to. One of these involved how we felt about a couple of blokes who dressed up as women at a "talent quest" type of event and the aftermath involving people being "offended" by it. Another was about a woman who was living on an island, who shagged a ferry captain to get passage to see her boyfriend on another island because she had no money to pay for a ticket. When she tells the boyfriend what she had done, he tells her to go away and never wants to see her again. We had to then say whether we agreed with him or whether she should be forgiven because she only did it to get to see him. The bloke running this part was head of the selection panel, what a ass-wipe he was.

Suffice to say that I didn't get the job as, in their words, "I didn't show enough empathy towards the people in those scenarios". Apparently, in the first case, the correct response was to speak with those involved and make sure that they knew why what they had done had upset the closet faggots. Also, I was supposed to be on the side of the girlfriend because she had been "used" by the ferry captain and did it all for love and she had been honest.
They were also horrified at my solutions to their problem solving because it wasn't in their book of "how we do it in the public service"
I recently saw the bloke who was head of the selection panel that sent me the, "sorry, not this time", letter on television, yep, still a limp-wristed ass-wipe.

They do a comprehensive search of social media and you have to supply your logins for it. They search for any comments that you have made which they determine are not up to their standards. So if you've ever criticised anyone, made any remarks that could be construed as sexist, racist, right-wing, given the thumbs-up to a good satirical meme, etc.,etc., good luck! When I told them that I had no Facecrap or any other "look at me" internet presence they didn't believe me, their searches found 5/8 of f#ck-all, a couple of photos of me that other people had on their pages was all they found.

A mates wife is in the public service, high grade, she reckons most jobs are already taken from within, they just have to advertise them externally. If that is not the case in this instance Stix, she reckons getting onto someone who knows how to write your application in Government job language and format would be your best bet.

Sorry for the long-winded post, the above is my experience and having spoken to a lot of others, it seems I'm not alone, just trying to give a heads up.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Feb 2020, 3:36 pm

Yes, spot on. Most cases they have a candidate already lined up...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Feb 2020, 4:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Gameracher...i can appreciate the reply, & the need to vent such an experience...
I can relate to it very well in the industry im in...as im sure many can.....which is why im over it & looking to move on to something im very good at passionate about...

Im not really in a position to get it professionally written now...

Ah well...

Ill try and throw something together i guess.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Feb 2020, 7:48 am

Okay, the advice given by my mates public servant wife to my son when he applied for a government position was:
Address the selection criteria with multiple examples of how you are qualified and have the experience to do the task.
Talk yourself up, "I have done this, therefore I can do that", type of stuff.
You have to show that you are a "team player" and always play by the rules. ( All of the inclusiveness crap that society dictates nowadays )
There was more she told him but I can't remember it.
Good luck, I really can relate to your plight. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Feb 2020, 9:36 am

STIX for Ms Lambies offsider? I’d vote just to watch the fireworks.
Last edited by TassieTiger on 27 Feb 2020, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Feb 2020, 11:06 am

Gamerancher wrote:Okay, the advice given by my mates public servant wife to my son when he applied for a government position was:
Address the selection criteria with multiple examples of how you are qualified and have the experience to do the task.
Talk yourself up, "I have done this, therefore I can do that", type of stuff.
You have to show that you are a "team player" and always play by the rules. ( All of the inclusiveness crap that society dictates nowadays )
There was more she told him but I can't remember it.
Good luck, I really can relate to your plight. :thumbsup:

In all seriousness.

One of my daughters is a Psychologist / Social Worker and is pretty high up in her position. (government)
And what Gamerancher has touched on is dead right.
My daughter told me that what is required is referred to as "Jargon" and plays a large part in these applications.

To demonstrate what she was saying, she handed me a written page and asked me to read it, and then explain to her it's content and the avenues
of approach used within.

I read it, and in a nutshell its content was all correct and made sense,,,,, but, it was like a politicians speech.
It used literally hundreds of words to explain the parameters of the subject at hand,, whereas an average person could have said it in one phrase.
While reading, one had to keep track of the many different veins that were employed and intertwined.

It has the effect that,,, it is quite easy to lose track of,,,, eg: what the original question was.
The main trick is as I perceived,, at the end of the "jargon" if taken to task,,, it does actually have to make sense and be correct in every detail.

And to think that my daughter writes these types of reports and recommendations every day of her working life.
I guess I now know where the University fees got eaten up.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 27 Feb 2020, 1:20 pm

Yea thanks Tassie...

Jaquie is ok...she means well atleast...
Im sure id enjoy a coffee with her & there'd be no fireworks.. :)

It would be funny if i got the job & relocated to Vic...i might have to have the odd bit of contact with some landowners that marksman knows...
And maybe ill feature on OldBlokes trail cams...lol

But im sure the Vic govt are good to work for...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by firstguns » 27 Feb 2020, 1:59 pm

In case you're still cracking at this, the advice given about selection criteria and jargon is pretty much bang on - I've worked in public and and public-adjacent (consulting) sectors my whole career.

If it's federal you're after, also go look for the Integrated Leadership Framework - it gives expected behaviours/skills at various levels. Match up the level of the job to the framework expectations (at level X we expect to see the following things relating to your leadership abilities: 1, 2, 3) etc. Pick key words that describe how much or how well you're expected to do things (work with limited supervision, work without supervision, supervise others, etc), and make sure your examples are lining up to these things. The criteria will usually relate directly to the ILF areas, or at least be close enough that you can draw the line of logic for yourself. Make sure you're answering every area of the ILF, at the right level. Pick a couple that you think you do really well, and draw to the next level above.
I assume state governments have the same things, I've just never worked for any of them.

The usual response for key selection criteria was the STAR model (Situation: I was a team leader in X sector leading a team of 10 people. Task: We had to develop a new product for a client at a reduced time frame/fixed budget. Action: I did these things to lead my team. Result: We were really successful, everyone loved us, the client signed a million-year contract). I think it's starting to fall out of favour now, but if you've got clear criteria to respond to, it's a decent way to start thinking.

Any other specific questions, let me know.

Ref your resume, DONT use the Word ones - they're f***ing hideous. Jump on pinterest, check out some good-looking ones that are towards the simple end, and make yours look like them. Finally, PDF your resume, so that it appears exactly the way it does on your screen when you send it in. Nothing worse than a Word resume that someone's spent time to make look good, then opening looking like garbage because I'm using a different version, or don't have your custom fonts, etc
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Feb 2020, 5:37 pm

Stix, you do realise there will be something like 100 applicants dont you? Odds of geting an interview 10 to 1 or worse. And does the selection criteria mention qualifications? Do you have them?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Feb 2020, 5:47 pm

Gees OldBloke...you sound like the glass is actually a plastic cup with a hole in it...

And yet you give much better odds on for an interview AND the number of applications than i do...

Doubt ill even get to hit the submit button the way im going...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Feb 2020, 6:04 pm

Lol, glass half empty?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Feb 2020, 7:21 pm

Not sure which angle to take the question...

But either way, i dont see a need to have the question mark there...

And i know you'd love it if i showed up on your trail camera... :) ...only thing is, if i was in a government role, id have to have my pants on... :o

:) :drinks:

I guess i shouldnt really post that...these days there are many people who wouldnt see the sarcastic funny side of that...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Feb 2020, 9:20 pm

Ask unless nike said.... just do it .....man
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Feb 2020, 9:31 am

Just saying. Pretty tough getting a state goverment job. Heaps of competition. Usually some sort of quals required.
And need to be related to the boss. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Feb 2020, 10:49 am

And then there are some go t jobs that everyone thinks will be over subscribed - and no one applies. Happens quite often in my industry...I know of a project job going now, that was 6 figures and has just had another 20k thrown at it to try and get some interest...yes - it’s based in launceston so that kills off 99% of applicants lol. But still - you never know...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by perentie » 29 Feb 2020, 7:22 am

I see they were advertising for ASIO on TV last night.
Anyone want to be a spy?
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Feb 2020, 12:21 pm

Yea ill be a spy...why the hell not...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 29 Feb 2020, 5:10 pm

Isn't ASIO more like mi5 and ASIS is more like mi6?
So ASIO is more internal intelligence gathering whilst ASIS is foreign intelligence gathering?
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation