Amusing, but,,,, if it makes you feel protected;

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Amusing, but,,,, if it makes you feel protected;

Post by straightshooter » 17 Mar 2020, 6:44 am

TassieTiger wrote:Good point really - Why aren’t ppl using bandannas or similar where they can damp down and improve filtration quality? I have to fly my family from Hobart to Brisbane soon and kids are freaking out - I was thinking I’d get them masks if nothing more than for the psychology....but Damo bandanna over the nose and mouth might be the ticket, I can sell it to them in a fun way.

On yet another tangent. As a motorcycle rider, it’s demanded of me to remove my lid when Getting petrol, going into shop, etc - wonder if the ppl wearing masks at petrol stations will be subjected to the nsnny tanties that many have when you don’t show mouth, nose....

It's not very well understood by the general population but somebody wearing a mask is doing you a favour.
They are protecting you from the droplets they may otherwise be emitting into the air around them.
The mask provides little or no protection to the wearer due to becoming saturated with the wearers emissions after as little as 15 minutes and thus becoming a fertile environment for nasties that may be drawn into the mask.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Mar 2020, 8:21 am

Yeh,went to Aldi yesterday. A lot of empty shelves.

I start digging my new bomb shelter in the back yard today.

:allegedly: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Mar 2020, 11:32 am

....[/quote]

It's not very well understood by the general population but somebody wearing a mask is doing you a favour.
They are protecting you from the droplets they may otherwise be emitting into the air around them.
The mask provides little or no protection to the wearer due to becoming saturated with the wearers emissions after as little as 15 minutes and thus becoming a fertile environment for nasties that may be drawn into the mask.[/quote]

Yes, but one might also assume that they are also creating a saturated focal point for the disease - that is, they touch the mask they are wearing and then touch a counter, a biro or similar and....and transfer is possible. Without a saturated focal point, that might not occur...- ps I’m not a quack, I’m just thinking out allowed.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by doc » 19 Mar 2020, 12:41 pm

Whatever you do - DON'T tell people masks are useless. Let them wear them - because they're doing society a favour by not spreading their own germs and viruses around. Sadly the only reason many wear masks is for their OWN protection - so just keep encouraging them to do so.

I'm betting we're in for the lowest cold and flu season this year we've ever seen.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation