My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Mar 2020, 6:08 pm

The crazy half of my brain tells me... what are the chances all these extra powers given to police and army will it be returned and cancelled or just "forgotten" about one cronavirus is gone... the normal half tells him to stop watching xfiles
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 27 Mar 2020, 6:11 pm

Yeah mate and trust me we are all suss on the police comrade, I mean commissioner, with so many other businesses in operation whilst they're forced to shut down it's pretty suss.

Can't see their sense in doing it aside from worrys that people will use said guns and ammo to deal with other less desirable people whilst the amount of available police gets less and less. But let's face it if society gets to that stage then who are they to stop people defending themselves and families. Honestly Australia is more backward than a donkey made of two asses.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by PorkEatingCrusader » 27 Mar 2020, 6:15 pm

Ziad wrote:The crazy half of my brain tells me... what are the chances all these extra powers given to police and army will it be returned and cancelled or just "forgotten" about one cronavirus is gone... the normal half tells him to stop watching xfiles

Freedom is never given mate. It is taken by the will of the people. A lot of people think this is a big joke but it is scary how real it is. And at any moment the police and army can enact a form of emergency marshal law and restrict everything.

The only government I can think of to disolve its self was the QLD senate in 1921.
PorkEatingCrusader
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by PorkEatingCrusader » 27 Mar 2020, 6:16 pm

Ziege wrote:Yeah mate and trust me we are all suss on the police comrade, I mean commissioner, with so many other businesses in operation whilst they're forced to shut down it's pretty suss.

Can't see their sense in doing it aside from worrys that people will use said guns and ammo to deal with other less desirable people whilst the amount of available police gets less and less. But let's face it if society gets to that stage then who are they to stop people defending themselves and families. Honestly Australia is more backward than a donkey made of two asses.

When a government tells you that you don't need something than YOU NEED IT MORE THAN EVER!!!!
Australia is the worst and the best country in the world simultaneously.
PorkEatingCrusader
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Mar 2020, 8:30 pm

Mate, i can see it's hard..i can see over the next 6 months many many many people will lose their jobs, maybe house, marriages will break up due to the stress. Businesses will go bust...(even our business might go bust)

But life is to short to get worried, i plan to, with proper precautions enjoy live as much i am able to.

Everyone is eventually gonna die anyway so why worry too much about that.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 28 Mar 2020, 4:43 pm

There is no doubt that this virus is particularly virulent but I think it does need to be kept in context and continually compared to the normal number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths due to the normal Flu stains.

In the US last years hospitalizations were about 1 million and there was an estimated 61,000 deaths.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%8 ... flu_season

Everyone is going to look pretty silly if this doesn't at least double that figure given the economic repercussions that all this isolation has caused.

Perhaps this is natures way of pushing the reset button on over population and all the climate change that is occurring. A 10% reduction in the population would still really not be what is required to reduce the strain on the planet.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by PorkEatingCrusader » 29 Mar 2020, 10:54 am

The good that will come from this when the dust settles is local manufacturing will return. Stop the buying from China. Buy local. Don't sell homes to the Chinese.
PorkEatingCrusader
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 29 Mar 2020, 11:46 am

Hmm lol.. won't happen mate. If you need a reason look at kmart... they sell cheap crap from OS, and they are open while target is shut.

People will buy X if its cheaper than Y and don't care where X comes from. And unless you drop wages in manufacturing to $10/day in Australia, Chinese goods will still be heaps cheaper than Australian.

Pepper have short memories and will forget China in a couple of months...same as we have now forgotten the bushfires and the drought
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bill » 29 Mar 2020, 11:59 am

PorkEatingCrusader wrote:The good that will come from this when the dust settles is local manufacturing will return. Stop the buying from China. Buy local. Don't sell homes to the Chinese.

Sorry PEC but everything thats comes out of your mouths is delusional, China won the trade war decades ago as shareholders want the best returns, its simple economics and protectionist policy leads to inflation and destruction of wealth. Clearly something you have little grasp of.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by 8x57 » 29 Mar 2020, 12:24 pm

PorkEatingCrusader wrote:The good that will come from this when the dust settles is local manufacturing will return. Stop the buying from China. Buy local. Don't sell homes to the Chinese.

You’re probably half right mate, a lot of the cheap junk will still continue to come from overseas, but a lot of the stuff that we’ve been caught short of during the pandemic will no doubt make a come back in Australia, with government subsidy no doubt.
But I agree it’s been a real wake for a lot of people how reliant we’ve become on China hopefully there will be some meaningful change.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Mar 2020, 3:39 pm

"I agree it’s been a real wake for a lot of people how reliant we’ve become on China hopefully there will be some meaningful change."

l totally agree :clap: :clap: :clap: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Mar 2020, 5:05 pm

marksman wrote:"I agree it’s been a real wake for a lot of people how reliant we’ve become on China hopefully there will be some meaningful change."

l totally agree :clap: :clap: :clap: :drinks:

+1.

Wife and I had that disscussion a fewdays ago.
Some stuff just has to be made here for best interest of the country. And sometimes that will mean tarrifs or some other type of suport.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 Mar 2020, 5:32 pm

Dont say that "T" word too loudly...!!!

Remember we had them for the car manufacturing indusrty we HAD here...well to the best of my knowledge they havent been lifted...!!!

Tarrifs are most often used as a means to increase tax, over & above fund the poor administration that regulates whatever the industry is...the same thing will happen if we introduce them again.

We need a different business model all together---one that firstly builds up our own core assets, & follows on with a constitutional approach to keeping those assets.
For starters, we could stop this sending our dirt over to China for a quick buck, only to fund them to melt it down & charge us a heap more for it...!!!

We are in the position we are in because of our own greed...!!!...we're not willing to pay the extra for our own checkout chicks--rather we pay the extra instead into the profits & dividend payments of the share holdersss the world, & when our entitlement driven greed outstrips our actual earnings, we sell off our assets & protect the international "rescuing" investment with guarantees of minimum profits...

Be smart about this looming economic reset...& DONT let the same thing happen again...!!!

Boycott the greed...support the welfare of the ones both next to you, & those coming after you...

Our lack of sacrifice & sickly greed over the last 20 or so years that ive noticed is shameful when we look at what the diggers gave for us...& we just sell it all off... :crazy:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 30 Mar 2020, 7:32 am

How is toilet paper in your area...?

I still haven't got any...bloody hell...!!?!?!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Mar 2020, 8:00 am

I think the wife just finds it I her travels... news says things are staying to get better in supermarkets
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Mar 2020, 8:05 am

And just like that Vic is bringing in stage 3 restrictions.

Last day to buy ammo and guns
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 Mar 2020, 10:34 am

Stix wrote:How is toilet paper in your area...?

I still haven't got any...bloody hell...!!?!?!

mate l might have to send you a roll :drinks:

its still scarce all over and the prices are up $12 a dozen is average now
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ricochet » 07 Apr 2020, 10:55 pm

Muuuuuhhhaaahhhaaa Bwaaahhaaahhaa ..ROFLMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

Some douchenozzel in South Australia has been approaching stores because he bought 5400 :shock: :evil: :evil: rolls of toilet paper and was banished from selling online. Someone put a friggin match to his stash please.
Hopefully he gets screwed for attempted gouging.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 7aa071ca82
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Apr 2020, 7:00 am

Lol no wonder stix couldn't find any rolls
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 08 Apr 2020, 7:42 am

Funny, people aren't making fun of preppers like they used to.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 08 Apr 2020, 10:59 am

Ricochet wrote:Muuuuuhhhaaahhhaaa Bwaaahhaaahhaa ..ROFLMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

Some douchenozzel in South Australia has been approaching stores because he bought 5400 :shock: :evil: :evil: rolls of toilet paper and was banished from selling online. Someone put a friggin match to his stash please.
Hopefully he gets screwed for attempted gouging.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 7aa071ca82

What's the d**khead going to do when the rats and mice and silverfish and earwigs have nested and chewed all through it all?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2020, 3:27 am

I just gout an email from Woolworths. One of the things that said was the toilet paper crisis was easing ..they also said that this weeks sales nationally in Australia is expected to be between 15 and 16 million rolls .....so u can see the effort, and trucks and staff that it takes just for one retailer to get that much product on the shelves
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

Yea its pretty sad...
They say its "un-Austrsluan" to behave like this...(all this greedy panic buying etc)
Well guess what...this IS Australia now.

I finally mansged to buy a 4 roll pack at Coles last night.
The funny thing is the pile was not on shelves in normal place...it was up front of store, to one side just before registers start..in a kibd of a dead spot where you look everywhere else as you wslk past.

I did a double-take look...walked past...walked back...i even looked around to see if i was being filmed or anyone was gonna shoot me if i touched the pile... :lol:

It must have been placed there not long ago, & no one had noticed yet.

I grabbed a pack, but couldnt believe no one else in the store had any--they probably all have their sheds full of it.

Im still unable to get flour & sugar though...

Wish i ran & lived on a farm...!!...the bulk of people in this main town are just self centred greedy kunts. I cant imagine what its like in the bigger cities... :roll: .
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Apr 2020, 10:12 am

Actually, ill say this too...

The sad thing that all these (& you if you're one of the greedy kunt hoarders!!!) people carrying on like this, is the EXACT behavior that causes Govt's to mandate for tighter restrictions, & an increase in further oppressing a society.

If we cant behave like normal, empathetic people who wont steal the shirt off our neighbours back in a blizzard, just incase we might need it in the future, then you can bet your bottom dollar the Govt will want to bring in things like ID cards, rationed supplies to each household/person of essentials.

Yes thats right...Govt's will be noting how to controll all these things in the future...further controll means higher prices & being even further oppressed....!!

But for some reason we are too bloody stupid to forsee these things, because we dont want to miss out on another roll, orbag of flour.
And we have a media that act like little bloody Jonny--that is continually do the wrong thing because it invokes a reaction & gets a bigger audience...

I hope as stated above, all the hoarders toilet paper soaks up the winter atmospheric moistire & the silverfish eat the rolls, & moths infiltrate all your flour & lay eggs in it...so when you start your bread mix that youll only try once because its too easy to go buy some, your house fills with moths...!!! :clap:

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 10 Apr 2020, 11:08 am

Just about everything is available here, so much so farmers are dumping milk and in Florida plowing under crops due to no demand from restaurants.

The only thing I saw at the store this week lacking was the cookies and toilet paper were still being ransacked by very heavy women. Toilet paper was available, you just might not get the main brand you want.

Restaurants are dying on the vine and for many takeout is not enough to sustain them.

There has been increasing resistance here in the USA to some of the malarkey going on involving restricting civil liberties, not a big problem here locally because the cops know they need us more than we need them, but in some of these other parts of the country like California. Everyone has had enough.

I have been making productive use of my time with a weight machine home gym I had ordered, so I have a routine in the barn of reloading for a while, then doing an evolution of pumping iron and then the sauna next to it is on and back to reloading.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Stix » 10 Apr 2020, 11:30 am

Sounds like a great little set-up wanneroo... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 10 Apr 2020, 12:02 pm

same here wanneroo
the brands have thinned down but at least we can get some groceries now

you need to give the sugar the flick Stix, its poison and no good for you mate ;) :thumbsup:

your right about what our society has become, self entitled
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 11 Apr 2020, 12:22 am

Stix wrote:Sounds like a great little set-up wanneroo... :thumbsup:

I am determined not to let this time go to waste so I am staying busy everyday. Sounds like I should be going back to work next month, but if I end up broke for some reason at least I'll look like Conan the Barbarian. I got Schwarzenegger's bodybuilding books delivered from Amazon and they have been very useful in how to get the most out of weight training. Weights I find have the biggest bang for the buck on time invested.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 11 Apr 2020, 12:27 am

marksman wrote:same here wanneroo
the brands have thinned down but at least we can get some groceries now

you need to give the sugar the flick Stix, its poison and no good for you mate ;) :thumbsup:

your right about what our society has become, self entitled

Don't be surprised if you end up with a glut of food on the market as we did. Even my local state rep is asking people to drink more milk so the farmers don't have to dump it. The restaurants, corporations and schools are not buying food as they did a month ago.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Stix » 17 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

Ive managed to get a dozen rolls behind me now..thanks to a friend who left a 6 pack for me...but ironically, apart from one 4 pack i found in a supermarket, still havent seen any in the regular shops ive been in.
So people must STILL be hoarding it here.... :unknown:

Anyway, speaking about toilet paper & survival...
Whats the bet this is the trigger for a GST increase...?
I csnt believe i havnt thought of it previous...

Here we all are worried sbout general price of imports going up, & we msy well have to face a gst rate rise.

I just hope we dont get a double wammy--being a rise in gst, as well as a COVID19 levvy.

Im not fan of these "levvy" or "tarrif" type taxes, because they ultimately just serve to give extra expenditure & are never removed.

We gave a save the murray levvy here in SA, & its well known its not used to save the murray...& we do nothing about it... :unknown:

Then there are the goods & service providers that will profiteer out of this...
My LGS has already raised prices on everything, & are doing it again as wholesale prices increase... :roll:
ASIC dont seem to do much here so no doubt this profiteering will go unchecked to a large degree.

Anyway...with capatilism being a user pays system, how do think the Govt will hit us...& what rate eill the GST rise to/by...? :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation