My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Apr 2020, 7:00 am

Lol no wonder stix couldn't find any rolls
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 08 Apr 2020, 7:42 am

Funny, people aren't making fun of preppers like they used to.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 08 Apr 2020, 10:59 am

Ricochet wrote:Muuuuuhhhaaahhhaaa Bwaaahhaaahhaa ..ROFLMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

Some douchenozzel in South Australia has been approaching stores because he bought 5400 :shock: :evil: :evil: rolls of toilet paper and was banished from selling online. Someone put a friggin match to his stash please.
Hopefully he gets screwed for attempted gouging.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 7aa071ca82

What's the d**khead going to do when the rats and mice and silverfish and earwigs have nested and chewed all through it all?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2020, 3:27 am

I just gout an email from Woolworths. One of the things that said was the toilet paper crisis was easing ..they also said that this weeks sales nationally in Australia is expected to be between 15 and 16 million rolls .....so u can see the effort, and trucks and staff that it takes just for one retailer to get that much product on the shelves
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

Yea its pretty sad...
They say its "un-Austrsluan" to behave like this...(all this greedy panic buying etc)
Well guess what...this IS Australia now.

I finally mansged to buy a 4 roll pack at Coles last night.
The funny thing is the pile was not on shelves in normal place...it was up front of store, to one side just before registers start..in a kibd of a dead spot where you look everywhere else as you wslk past.

I did a double-take look...walked past...walked back...i even looked around to see if i was being filmed or anyone was gonna shoot me if i touched the pile... :lol:

It must have been placed there not long ago, & no one had noticed yet.

I grabbed a pack, but couldnt believe no one else in the store had any--they probably all have their sheds full of it.

Im still unable to get flour & sugar though...

Wish i ran & lived on a farm...!!...the bulk of people in this main town are just self centred greedy kunts. I cant imagine what its like in the bigger cities... :roll: .
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Apr 2020, 10:12 am

Actually, ill say this too...

The sad thing that all these (& you if you're one of the greedy kunt hoarders!!!) people carrying on like this, is the EXACT behavior that causes Govt's to mandate for tighter restrictions, & an increase in further oppressing a society.

If we cant behave like normal, empathetic people who wont steal the shirt off our neighbours back in a blizzard, just incase we might need it in the future, then you can bet your bottom dollar the Govt will want to bring in things like ID cards, rationed supplies to each household/person of essentials.

Yes thats right...Govt's will be noting how to controll all these things in the future...further controll means higher prices & being even further oppressed....!!

But for some reason we are too bloody stupid to forsee these things, because we dont want to miss out on another roll, orbag of flour.
And we have a media that act like little bloody Jonny--that is continually do the wrong thing because it invokes a reaction & gets a bigger audience...

I hope as stated above, all the hoarders toilet paper soaks up the winter atmospheric moistire & the silverfish eat the rolls, & moths infiltrate all your flour & lay eggs in it...so when you start your bread mix that youll only try once because its too easy to go buy some, your house fills with moths...!!! :clap:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 10 Apr 2020, 11:08 am

Just about everything is available here, so much so farmers are dumping milk and in Florida plowing under crops due to no demand from restaurants.

The only thing I saw at the store this week lacking was the cookies and toilet paper were still being ransacked by very heavy women. Toilet paper was available, you just might not get the main brand you want.

Restaurants are dying on the vine and for many takeout is not enough to sustain them.

There has been increasing resistance here in the USA to some of the malarkey going on involving restricting civil liberties, not a big problem here locally because the cops know they need us more than we need them, but in some of these other parts of the country like California. Everyone has had enough.

I have been making productive use of my time with a weight machine home gym I had ordered, so I have a routine in the barn of reloading for a while, then doing an evolution of pumping iron and then the sauna next to it is on and back to reloading.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Stix » 10 Apr 2020, 11:30 am

Sounds like a great little set-up wanneroo... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 10 Apr 2020, 12:02 pm

same here wanneroo
the brands have thinned down but at least we can get some groceries now

you need to give the sugar the flick Stix, its poison and no good for you mate ;) :thumbsup:

your right about what our society has become, self entitled
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 11 Apr 2020, 12:22 am

Stix wrote:Sounds like a great little set-up wanneroo... :thumbsup:

I am determined not to let this time go to waste so I am staying busy everyday. Sounds like I should be going back to work next month, but if I end up broke for some reason at least I'll look like Conan the Barbarian. I got Schwarzenegger's bodybuilding books delivered from Amazon and they have been very useful in how to get the most out of weight training. Weights I find have the biggest bang for the buck on time invested.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 11 Apr 2020, 12:27 am

marksman wrote:same here wanneroo
the brands have thinned down but at least we can get some groceries now

you need to give the sugar the flick Stix, its poison and no good for you mate ;) :thumbsup:

your right about what our society has become, self entitled

Don't be surprised if you end up with a glut of food on the market as we did. Even my local state rep is asking people to drink more milk so the farmers don't have to dump it. The restaurants, corporations and schools are not buying food as they did a month ago.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Stix » 17 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

Ive managed to get a dozen rolls behind me now..thanks to a friend who left a 6 pack for me...but ironically, apart from one 4 pack i found in a supermarket, still havent seen any in the regular shops ive been in.
So people must STILL be hoarding it here.... :unknown:

Anyway, speaking about toilet paper & survival...
Whats the bet this is the trigger for a GST increase...?
I csnt believe i havnt thought of it previous...

Here we all are worried sbout general price of imports going up, & we msy well have to face a gst rate rise.

I just hope we dont get a double wammy--being a rise in gst, as well as a COVID19 levvy.

Im not fan of these "levvy" or "tarrif" type taxes, because they ultimately just serve to give extra expenditure & are never removed.

We gave a save the murray levvy here in SA, & its well known its not used to save the murray...& we do nothing about it... :unknown:

Then there are the goods & service providers that will profiteer out of this...
My LGS has already raised prices on everything, & are doing it again as wholesale prices increase... :roll:
ASIC dont seem to do much here so no doubt this profiteering will go unchecked to a large degree.

Anyway...with capatilism being a user pays system, how do think the Govt will hit us...& what rate eill the GST rise to/by...? :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 17 Apr 2020, 10:30 am

Aldi has a reputation for having toilet paper despite the situation......I heard about a hoarder who bought ten thousand dollars worth of stuff from supermarket with the intention of reselling it online but it backfired and he tried to get refund from the supermarket.....they told him to jam it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 17 Apr 2020, 10:44 am

Blr243 wrote:Aldi has a reputation for having toilet paper despite the situation......I heard about a hoarder who bought ten thousand dollars worth of stuff from supermarket with the intention of reselling it online but it backfired and he tried to get refund from the supermarket.....they told him to jam it

Yea BLR ive spoken to my local ALDI & they say it comes in on certain mornings, ive chatted to one of the blokes in there & get along pretty friendly & he says he cant keep any aside for me...
All the staff in there say its a free-for-all first thing in the mornings with people still lining up & making a dash for the toilet paper...
Its probably understandable at this point given the people like myself have probably let reserves run low & in need of it...but id still hazzard a guess a lot of them are just greedy fukrs getting extra because they are entitled to...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 17 Apr 2020, 11:48 am

in my household we have actually reduced the amount we go through :lol: greta will be happy :thumbsup:

what l see most is the cheaper brands are gone, everything is a premium price now

l conned the missus into making some scones but she couldn't get self raising flour at the supermarket :unknown: there was toilet paper though
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Apr 2020, 3:23 pm

Ahh good point there... but a Levy is ok as long as it has an end point. Usually people who earn over a certain amount are the ones paying for it... so the poor people usually don't get stung.

If you ask any economist or accountant our GST rate is quite low.. should be 15 or 17%...lol. but the biggest issue here is that its actually the federal government spending the big $$$$ while the GST all goes to state and territory governments. So a levy will likely be what comes.

As a newspaper article said, we are mortgaging our kids future to save the baby boomers (older Australians).

Keep looking mate, they are around. I read i think the manager of Drakes in SA who told a guy with 250x 24 packs to "flush his rolls down the drain" as he would not be getting a refund.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 17 Apr 2020, 3:30 pm

Stix wrote:So...

Went into Aldi this afternoon/evening...

I need some of that soft paper...i dont care for the purfumed pretty scented overly soft stuff that is impregnated with aloe & cleverly embossed for a frictionless glide with maximum stock removal...

Nope...

I just want a pack of fuking toilet paper...

Ok...so im not getting one here...sigh..., i said to myself while staring dumbfounded at the steel shelving with a blank look on my face, wondering what the fuk is wrong with people...

Breathe...

Ok...ill go & grab a can of baked beans &/or spaghetti incase i get away on Sat night for a quick weekend warrior paddock dissecting eye-shine covert operation...
You know...quick snack...easy ramming flavour-filled tummy filler i can just find time for when im not stuck in the burbs & there are guns to shoot...

Well...its been made very apparent to me, that i cant have, nope, not even one can of baked bloody beans...!!!!! :unknown: :twisted:

You see, i went to 2 supermarkets & 2 Aldi stores, & those sections of shelves are empty...
They've been emptied by...well, i dont mean to stereotype here...but emptied by the likes of all the fat bastards i saw walking around in pairs, or threesome's, with at least one trolley each---yes---i said ATLEAST...!!!...filling those said trolley's with instant noodles, long life milk, all my bloody baked beans, and the weeks run from the toilet paper factory...!!!

What the fuk is wrong with you lot...???

No, i dont mean you, who've grabbed a couple extra cans of baked beans...i mean YOU---!!!---who have, as ive said above, loaded up with every fuking carton you can fit in your bloody boot...!!!

You're a buch of idiots...!!!...
If you think thats going to save you in the event of a highly infectious major pandemic while you're couped up in the burbs complaining about what the Govt ISNT doing about your poor health due to your diet, then think again...!!

And i hope when you cant get any protein because you've forced the supermarkets into ration allocations, you smell my roasting goat leg & southern fried rabbit, & stamp your feet in denial while convincing yourself you find some form of solace when 60 minutes & the Project tell you you're being hard done by ...!!!
Idiots...!!... :lol:

And you know what---i hope this is left up for all to read...i dont care if someone is offended at the "social inequity" i seem to be ranting about...
People should take a look at themselves & ask, 'what will happen if this is real...?'...

I am just flabbergasted at the utter greed & incredibly abhorrent attitudes a good number of us seem to have against one another...
We seemingly "band together" when the drama filled media storm is promoting that some experience hardship in the aftermath of the devastating bush fires, but look what happens when they promote even a hint of a spreading infection...and what does this behavior tell us... :unknown:

So...now thats off my chest...can anyone spare a roll or two...seriously...im down to 2-n-a-half ro
lls & thats including my shooting stash.. :|

Mate, if your desperate , I can give you a few rolls..serious :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 17 Apr 2020, 3:35 pm

Problem is people have forgotten how to make things from scratch. Everything even the most basic is often semi processed to help save time or something. Self Rasing flour is just plain flour with some Baking Powder added. Baking Powder still available because very few people know what to do with it.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 17 Apr 2020, 3:43 pm

sungazer wrote:Problem is people have forgotten how to make things from scratch. Everything even the most basic is often semi processed to help save time or something. Self Rasing flour is just plain flour with some Baking Powder added. Baking Powder still available because very few people know what to do with it.

bicarbonate of soda is another ingredient that can be used for making self raising flour but really why are people hoarding flour :unknown:
Last edited by marksman on 17 Apr 2020, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 17 Apr 2020, 3:54 pm

I havent been out hording flour. It often gets weavels in it before i use it all up. Not a big bread eater at all. But as a staple for a large portion of the world (that is bread products) it makes sense to keep a supply of it. If you cant get to the shops or the baker is closed down for instance. I am a bit surprised bread was not panic brought out as much as. It can be frozen and still good for quite a while. I id notice that wraps were all bought out. I like the occasional burrito, home grown mince, tomatoes and lettuce just add store bought cheese.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by wanneroo » 18 Apr 2020, 11:19 am

Stix wrote:Ive managed to get a dozen rolls behind me now..thanks to a friend who left a 6 pack for me...but ironically, apart from one 4 pack i found in a supermarket, still havent seen any in the regular shops ive been in.
So people must STILL be hoarding it here.... :unknown:

There could still be some supply issues in the big cities in the USA, but from what I have seen, we have so much toilet paper now Wal Mart has nowhere to put it so they roll the pallets out into the big aisles and slap a price on it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by snag » 18 Apr 2020, 7:02 pm

Stix, I reckon you have just pointed to the elephant in the room about this whole covid19 emergency. The federal government has had to outlay billions of dollars to combat both the pandemic and the associated economic downturn. They are going to have to make the money back somehow and an increased GST is the obvious solution. Given that the possibility of raising the GST to 12.5% or even 15% has been floated by both sides of politics in the last decade makes it almost a certainty. Hard times ahead for everyone I reckon, but I guess it's a case of "you gotta do what you gotta do" (written in my best John Wayne drawl).
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 18 Apr 2020, 8:07 pm

Hey thanks snag...yes, looking at it in all reality, i believe we have a GST rise coming. Unfortunately with resellers, this also always means an opportunity to raise profits & hide them under the guise of GST/Tax rise...
In the long run, i believe most of these profiteering grabs are usually tapered back down to the required volumes the relevant industry needs for its players to survive, but not all of them.

We see it in things like electricity but dont do anything about it.

When we have a "7%" increase in price, that term is most often used to describe the rise at a bottom or fundamental level--like RBA interest rates...but when you equate that out to an end user price, & take into consideration every player in between makes a return on investment, it inevitably results in very different % figure increase to the cost of living...easily absorbed in every day inflation, but when big hits like this happen--like weve all seen in the privatisation of our once Govt owned Utilities companies for example, things can get out of control... :thumbsdown:

We'll see call-out fees for Plumbers & Sparky's rise, just because...any service based industry will rise considerably more than the "bottom line" increase...

Ive always suspected this was/or will be some kind of ecenomic reset, & said it from the start...i honestly fear we are in for a reset of the poverty line too, & a more pronounced difference in those who will hit it & not be able to recover...
For this country its already hard enough for current generations to afford owning a home without some form of capital from previous generations, & im a firm believer that were at a point where those who dont do extra carrricular education of some sort already have little to no hope of the home ownership dream, & I think this sector of our community will grow exponentially from this...Sad for this country i rekon...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 18 Apr 2020, 8:11 pm

Elmer wrote:Mate, if your desperate , I can give you a few rolls..serious :thumbsup:

Hey thanks Elmer...!!
I appreciate that... :thumbsup:

I was nearly at a point of taking marksman up on his offer when i went digging through the bottom of shooting/camping gear box in the shed & found another roll... :)
Then a friend dropped off a 6 pack without me knowing, & i got a 4 pack in a supermarket too...

So thanks anyway for that, but im ok for the moment... :)

:thumbsup: :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 22 Apr 2020, 8:07 pm

Went shopping for milk tonight. Local supermarket has pallets of loo paper just sitin there everybody walks past looking at it to see if it’s real but nobodidy is buying any
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 22 Apr 2020, 8:32 pm

Just bought another packet..... :welcome:
Capitalism all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
IMG_0811.jpg
IMG_0811.jpg (408.09 KiB) Viewed 5418 times
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Apr 2020, 10:45 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Just bought another packet..... :welcome:
Capitalism all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha...I love it...A capatilst all the way & yet you're here complaining about the SSAA & dictating to others how they should follow anti-capitalist/anti-totalitarian regimes...

I fukn love it...!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbsup:

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Apr 2020, 4:56 am

The irony is that the world is full of ironical things.

Like how i am awake at 5am in the morning :D
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Apr 2020, 8:10 pm

Went food shopping again tonight. Coles Saw tons of toilet paper everywhere Sick of looking at it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by trekin » 24 Apr 2020, 1:19 pm

Blr243 wrote:Went food shopping again tonight. Coles Saw tons of toilet paper everywhere Sick of looking at it

Yeah, but don't try buy and sugar, even good old Aussie owned Coal, Sugar and Retrenchments. Wasn't any shortage of that a week or so ago when the loo paper was in short supply.
Also noticed a lot of new brands of loo paper on the shelfs today, with "proudly Australian" and koala's on the packaging, but with "made from imported paper" or "made in China" in small writting on the back.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation