My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 17 Mar 2020, 2:42 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’ve had 4 messages from distant friends - asking what the laws are, can they borrow a gun...seriously wtf.

All of a sudden the bloke with guns and a wilderness property is their new best mate. Coincidence.......
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Mar 2020, 2:45 pm

Exactly. Funny thing...
I told em to buy a fishing rod lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 17 Mar 2020, 4:40 pm

Yeah hopefully this s**t spells the end of the urbanite moron hipster lefty. Bout time the world had more to worry about than their psuedo intellectual garb, their gender bulls**t, their constant pestilence about s**t they can't even remotely prove, their arrogance and idiocy. Hopefully this will show everyone else once and for all that the lemmings and tv brainwashed generations, left tards, and other oxygen theives aren't worth the attention they get for even a second
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Mar 2020, 5:20 pm

Lol TT
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Mar 2020, 5:49 pm

StraightWhiteMale wrote:Just an FYI so called “preppers” are not the ones panic buying. We have been buying for years for times like this and just as the heathens laughed at noah the unprepared laughed at us too.

The ones who are panic buying are the ones who the so called “preppers” were preparing themselves from.

Yes youre right SWM...& im not going on about the sensible people going overboard...

Id hazzard a bet bulk who are ignorant to anything other than mainstream media indoctrination & those halfwits getting into punch-ups at supermarkets are not likely to care about self isolation either...

But then again, who's the stupid one here...probably me for not having the foresight to grab a slab of baked beans, couple boxes of cereal & pasta, & toilet paper 3 weeks ago when i needed it...

Gees could you imagine if our gun ownership laws were like they used to be, sport stores selling guns & scopes, but with restrictions on imports as they are now---every gun store would be a like a John Wayne Western style shoot-out between all of us... :lol:

That would keep the vegans quiet...!!.. :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 18 Mar 2020, 10:50 am

Just heard a news report that SA Water are having trouble with the sewer system.
Apparently its clogging up with everything from paper towel & newspaper, creating the need for very expensive 'cleaning bills'.

This is obviously all caused from so many people not being able to get hold of toilet paper.

So now SA Water are pleading with people, that if you use anything other than toilet paper, you need to put it in the bin...

And whats funny about that, is to imagine the state of health of the suburbs if that were to hsppen... :lol:

Imagine the buzz around everyone's wheelie bin with all the flies...not to mention the septic stench that would envelop the burbs with clogged sewers & people crapping in bins...

Then there's the black ink streaks up everyones lower back.... :lol:

This gets better every day...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Mar 2020, 12:15 pm

I’m working in country Vic this week and the shelves are empty everywhere.
This morning I was in Wangaratta doing some test at the woolworths and saw a minibus full of Asians pull up. About 20 of them clamber out all masked up and headed inside and started loading up on anything they could. Pushing and shoving locals around. A couple of old cocky’s had a go at them and it nearly started a punch on.
Five minutes later the cops arrived and rounded them up and kicked them out of the store. They all cracked the sh!ts and left.

Copper told me they had been expecting them as they and other busses had been circling the state doing the same.

What selfish ar5eholes people are when they are scared.
Member-Deleted

Post by Am88 » 18 Mar 2020, 12:40 pm

Just had a perfect example of how much of a joke this system is. One of my workmates wives just got back from Japan, She is now in self quarantine. He however is free to go, come to work do whatever he pleases. She has the symptons so wanted to get tested so her husband should stay home, she was told they do not test until the symptoms are severe and was told he should go to work and go about your normal lives. So he is at work, she is in self quarantine for 14 days but he can come and go as he pleases to do whatever he likes and IF he does have it, infecting whoever he comes in contact with.

and they tell us they have health plans in action, well done government, once again.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 18 Mar 2020, 1:16 pm

Am88 wrote:Just had a perfect example of how much of a joke this system is. One of my workmates wives just got back from Japan, She is now in self quarantine. He however is free to go, come to work do whatever he pleases. She has the symptons so wanted to get tested so her husband should stay home, she was told they do not test until the symptoms are severe and was told he should go to work and go about your normal lives. So he is at work, she is in self quarantine for 14 days but he can come and go as he pleases to do whatever he likes and IF he does have it, infecting whoever he comes in contact with.

and they tell us they have health plans in action, well done government, once again.

There are so few testing kits available that they are only testing people that they pretty much know have it to conserve kits and also whatever the government says you should do the opposite as the only one who can protect yourself and your family is yourself.

Its funny to see on the news in the USA the anti gun nuts in the cities actually buying guns now because they can see things might get bad. Funny how people change their mind about things when it impacts them.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Mar 2020, 2:02 pm

SWM... one of my school friends accrual works for a Chinese biotech company who have a testing kit for covid19 all treated and safe to use... i am considering getting a few hundred thousand sent down.... alas TGA will likely throw the book at me.

On a serious note, a gun dealer inn the us was saying how he is getting inquiries from people in California... if he had guns that they could buy and get shipped to them...he loled at them and told them they need a license first... also they cannot ship to California under the law anyway. Apparently non gum owners think it's but easy to buy a gun in the usa.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 18 Mar 2020, 8:01 pm

One of the things I find interesting about the panic buying is whether or not any of the people doing the panic buying will exercise portion size control at home. If you are hoarding because you expect a collapse in the food supply, surely it would make sense to ensure you eke out your supplies so they last for as long as possible? Or, as I suspect, will most of these people continue to consume calories at their usual rate?
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 18 Mar 2020, 8:13 pm

Well they're idiots, so the likelihood is that they will just continue to ram the usual consumables down their gullit, doubt they even have the brains to leave what they have bought stored and only consume what they can freshly source until they are in dire straits enough to need what they've hoarded.

I've always said that in the face of a dire emergency city people will die in their thousands daily, they don't know how to exist and they aren't going to be welcome in the bush, only people welcome at my place are my kin, and they won't be staying at the house, aside from that maybe 20 immediate people I don't want to know about anyone else.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 18 Mar 2020, 9:56 pm

flutch wrote:Well they're idiots, so the likelihood is that they will just continue to ram the usual consumables down their gullit, doubt they even have the brains to leave what they have bought stored and only consume what they can freshly source until they are in dire straits enough to need what they've hoarded.

I've always said that in the face of a dire emergency city people will die in their thousands daily, they don't know how to exist and they aren't going to be welcome in the bush, only people welcome at my place are my kin, and they won't be staying at the house, aside from that maybe 20 immediate people I don't want to know about anyone else.

Something I find quite bizarre about the panic buying is the fact that meals are still readily able to be purchased at restaurants and cafes. What really is to be gained getting into a punch up with a pensioner about a tin of baked beans? None of the people being involved in the dust ups look like they have ever missed seconds at the sausage roll stand.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blackened » 19 Mar 2020, 8:15 am

Well, this topic has been interesting.

A few people clearly wanted a permanent vacation from the forum, so I've granted those.

A few others on 2/3 strikes.

Pro tip: Being a blatant racist doesn't go down well is most places.

Thanks to those who used the report function, keep it up. :thumbsup:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 19 Mar 2020, 9:40 am

Wifey went shopping yesterday and it appears there is plenty of food still, funny that, got some more meat, some packet curry mixes etc, some rice, bread etc. pretty much everything we would normally buy.... other then freaking toilet paper lol
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 19 Mar 2020, 10:15 am

Actually my wife went to the local fruit and veg shop, came out a with woman who just came out of Coles was complaining loudly that there was no potatoes or other veggies in Coles, looked at my wife and went where did you get that, my wife pointed out the shop right next to the Coles, and the woman asked,
do they have potatoes, reply yes.
Do they have onions, relly yes

The woman had an epiphany, that a fruit and veg shop will have stock and full of... fruit and veg
Btw it's one of those fruit shop that have produce in the outside... and yes outs right next to the Coles entrance. People have gone mad.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by trekin » 19 Mar 2020, 10:31 am

Ziad wrote:Actually my wife went to the local fruit and veg shop, came out a with woman who just came out of Coles was complaining loudly that there was no potatoes or other veggies in Coles, looked at my wife and went where did you get that, my wife pointed out the shop right next to the Coles, and the woman asked,
do they have potatoes, reply yes.
Do they have onions, relly yes

The woman had an epiphany, that a fruit and veg shop will have stock and full of... fruit and veg
Btw it's one of those fruit shop that have produce in the outside... and yes outs right next to the Coles entrance. People have gone mad.

This, head/nail. Coles/Woolies duopoly, bet their shares and the shares of their suppliers, haven't taken too much of a beating. Our local Woolies manager said yesterday that her store has had a 300% profit in sales in the last 3 weeks. Looks like next thing is prescription drugs.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 19 Mar 2020, 10:38 am

The thing is Ziad, people get used to shopping at a supermarket...thats why they hold so much economic power & charge so much...
The fact that suppliers effectively pay them money for shelf position is also reflective of this.

But the other thing is, a can of baked beans or spagat Aldi is 65cents..i went through coles last night to get some bread (lol waste of time--nothing left-no milk canned veg rice potatos carrots tissues etc etc etc) & the last dented can of baked beans that was sitting at the back of the shelf was nearly $2...& that was one of those Heinz cans that are now 20 or so % smaller & full of juice...
Thats having to pay way over 300% more, for less actual beans in the can...

My oh my it would be wonderful to own a supermarket right now...just one months takings & id be building my own gun bunker with guided missile defence to keep all yooz from stealing my dunny paper...!!...lol
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Mar 2020, 12:23 pm

Just got email from QLD gun exchange - they are quickly selling out of reloading supplies and ammunition.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 19 Mar 2020, 12:33 pm

Stix wrote:The thing is Ziad, people get used to shopping at a supermarket...thats why they hold so much economic power & charge so much...
The fact that suppliers effectively pay them money for shelf position is also reflective of this.

But the other thing is, a can of baked beans or spagat Aldi is 65cents..i went through coles last night to get some bread (lol waste of time--nothing left-no milk canned veg rice potatos carrots tissues etc etc etc) & the last dented can of baked beans that was sitting at the back of the shelf was nearly $2...& that was one of those Heinz cans that are now 20 or so % smaller & full of juice...
Thats having to pay way over 300% more, for less actual beans in the can...

My oh my it would be wonderful to own a supermarket right now...just one months takings & id be building my own gun bunker with guided missile defence to keep all yooz from stealing my dunny paper...!!...lol

Would that be the dunny paper you are complaining about not being able to get ?
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by doc » 19 Mar 2020, 12:35 pm

Stix wrote:Just heard a news report that SA Water are having trouble with the sewer system.
Apparently its clogging up with everything from paper towel & newspaper, creating the need for very expensive 'cleaning bills'.

This is obviously all caused from so many people not being able to get hold of toilet paper.

So now SA Water are pleading with people, that if you use anything other than toilet paper, you need to put it in the bin...

And whats funny about that, is to imagine the state of health of the suburbs if that were to hsppen... :lol:

Imagine the buzz around everyone's wheelie bin with all the flies...not to mention the septic stench that would envelop the burbs with clogged sewers & people crapping in bins...

Then there's the black ink streaks up everyones lower back.... :lol:

This gets better every day...!!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with putting ass wipes in the bin. It's no different to what happens with baby nappies - and there's no issues with flies. The suggestion is to put what you wipe in the bins - not actually crap in the bins themselves. Simply put it in a plastic bag and tie the ends.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 19 Mar 2020, 12:38 pm

But we are not allowed single use plastic bags anymore.

It would be interesting to see the 12 month profit reports of business on the world, supermarket based stocks would be going crazy... while Qantas unless it gets govt subsidy (which it is) would be bankrupt in a month
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 19 Mar 2020, 12:58 pm

reloading gear selling out? people have been watching doomsday preppers on Netflix or what? I think I have enough at the moment, maybe I should get some more just so the buggers don't buy it all out on me. I'm picturing roaming hoards of people on horseback with hoods and pitchforks demanding toilet paper or they will burn my house down......... Then I shoot them :lol:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 19 Mar 2020, 1:03 pm

Here in the USA, ammo sales have surged significantly. Myself I have tens of thousands of rounds, years supply of gunpowder, half a ton of bullets and a lot of primers. At my current pace of reloading, I probably got 6-12 months of work just with the various bins of brass on my benches. So no need to jump in on the spazz out and run to the gun store with my hands waving in the air in panic to go buy factory ammo.

When the national emergency last Friday it sent all the reactors, opposite of preppers, into panic mode and people went berserk and pillaged stores of their stock. Up here in "The Mountains" it was not as bad but some of it happened. Everything is totally calm with a little reduced traffic on the roads. Restaurants are take out only. Schools are closed. I went down yesterday to the secret Mennonite store, they had plenty of lunch meats and the local Amish brand that does bacon, cheese and dairy. No milk or bread though. Drove today down to the nearest city of 20000 people and went to the bigger mennonite shopping outlet, mostly full shelves, plenty of food. I was pleased, got a bunch more maple smoked bacon at $3.50 a pack and picked up a 3 kilo frozen pack of hash brown potatoes for $3.99. Went to the local Italian bakery/deli. Store looked as normal, tons of meat, nothing out of stock. Went to the upscale supermarket, Wegmans. They do a lot of prepared foods, custom meat orders, deli, bakery, etc. All that has ended, everything is pre packaged. Store was out of all paper products and the cookies and frozen pizza had got obliterated, but plenty of food. Americans will not starve anytime soon. I have 3 freezers/refrigerators full of food and back up electrical power along with a full closet of dry goods, water and drinks. Over 100 rolls of toilet paper. I've always had the philosophy to keep a few months supplies on hand, never knowing what could happen, some obscure black swan event and well, here we are.

Nearest The Thing case is 200 miles away. Farmers are still farming, shale frackers are still fracking, factories are still open, people are trying to keep their businesses afloat. My work got canceled for the month, we will see what happens next month. In the mean time I have plenty of projects to do at home.

This event is going to change the world significantly, but hopefully some good will come out of it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 19 Mar 2020, 1:05 pm

Ziad wrote:But we are not allowed single use plastic bags anymore.

It would be interesting to see the 12 month profit reports of business on the world, supermarket based stocks would be going crazy... while Qantas unless it gets govt subsidy (which it is) would be bankrupt in a month

Wal Mart stock in the USA has hit an all time high.

A lot of industries are going to be hurting for a while but if you are an investor there is already some great opportunities to buy in and set yourself up for the future.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 19 Mar 2020, 1:08 pm

Am88 wrote:reloading gear selling out? people have been watching doomsday preppers on Netflix or what? I think I have enough at the moment, maybe I should get some more just so the buggers don't buy it all out on me. I'm picturing roaming hoards of people on horseback with hoods and pitchforks demanding toilet paper or they will burn my house down......... Then I shoot them :lol:

I never thought toilet paper would be the thing to have or paper towels. I'm confused. That viral panic started in Australia with some videos, then spread to the USA. Exactly one week ago shelves were flush with mountains of toilet paper and by last Friday was a complete feeding frenzy. You can't eat paper towels or toilet paper, so what the big deal is I do not know.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Mar 2020, 1:20 pm

A bidet is a couple hundred - solved?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 19 Mar 2020, 1:28 pm

wanneroo wrote:I never thought toilet paper would be the thing to have or paper towels. I'm confused. That viral panic started in Australia with some videos, then spread to the USA. Exactly one week ago shelves were flush with mountains of toilet paper and by last Friday was a complete feeding frenzy. You can't eat paper towels or toilet paper, so what the big deal is I do not know.

I think "Scotty from marketing" had a lot to do with it.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 19 Mar 2020, 2:54 pm

Quick Tassie get the bum gun from eBay for about 20bucks, easy to install... no toilet paper required.

And honestly is better than the cheap 1 ply stuff you get in the big commercial rolls...i worry one day ill end up giving myself a prostrate exam with the 1 ply stuff.

What work do you do Wannaroo
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 20 Mar 2020, 1:52 am

Ziad wrote:Quick Tassie get the bum gun from eBay for about 20bucks, easy to install... no toilet paper required.

And honestly is better than the cheap 1 ply stuff you get in the big commercial rolls...i worry one day ill end up giving myself a prostrate exam with the 1 ply stuff.

What work do you do Wannaroo

I'm a subject matter expert in my field and split work with automotive manufacturers and the US military/US federal agencies and on occasion foreign governments with approval of the US State Dept.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation