My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Mar 2020, 12:23 pm

Just got email from QLD gun exchange - they are quickly selling out of reloading supplies and ammunition.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 19 Mar 2020, 12:33 pm

Stix wrote:The thing is Ziad, people get used to shopping at a supermarket...thats why they hold so much economic power & charge so much...
The fact that suppliers effectively pay them money for shelf position is also reflective of this.

But the other thing is, a can of baked beans or spagat Aldi is 65cents..i went through coles last night to get some bread (lol waste of time--nothing left-no milk canned veg rice potatos carrots tissues etc etc etc) & the last dented can of baked beans that was sitting at the back of the shelf was nearly $2...& that was one of those Heinz cans that are now 20 or so % smaller & full of juice...
Thats having to pay way over 300% more, for less actual beans in the can...

My oh my it would be wonderful to own a supermarket right now...just one months takings & id be building my own gun bunker with guided missile defence to keep all yooz from stealing my dunny paper...!!...lol

Would that be the dunny paper you are complaining about not being able to get ?
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by doc » 19 Mar 2020, 12:35 pm

Stix wrote:Just heard a news report that SA Water are having trouble with the sewer system.
Apparently its clogging up with everything from paper towel & newspaper, creating the need for very expensive 'cleaning bills'.

This is obviously all caused from so many people not being able to get hold of toilet paper.

So now SA Water are pleading with people, that if you use anything other than toilet paper, you need to put it in the bin...

And whats funny about that, is to imagine the state of health of the suburbs if that were to hsppen... :lol:

Imagine the buzz around everyone's wheelie bin with all the flies...not to mention the septic stench that would envelop the burbs with clogged sewers & people crapping in bins...

Then there's the black ink streaks up everyones lower back.... :lol:

This gets better every day...!!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with putting ass wipes in the bin. It's no different to what happens with baby nappies - and there's no issues with flies. The suggestion is to put what you wipe in the bins - not actually crap in the bins themselves. Simply put it in a plastic bag and tie the ends.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 19 Mar 2020, 12:38 pm

But we are not allowed single use plastic bags anymore.

It would be interesting to see the 12 month profit reports of business on the world, supermarket based stocks would be going crazy... while Qantas unless it gets govt subsidy (which it is) would be bankrupt in a month
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 19 Mar 2020, 12:58 pm

reloading gear selling out? people have been watching doomsday preppers on Netflix or what? I think I have enough at the moment, maybe I should get some more just so the buggers don't buy it all out on me. I'm picturing roaming hoards of people on horseback with hoods and pitchforks demanding toilet paper or they will burn my house down......... Then I shoot them :lol:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 19 Mar 2020, 1:03 pm

Here in the USA, ammo sales have surged significantly. Myself I have tens of thousands of rounds, years supply of gunpowder, half a ton of bullets and a lot of primers. At my current pace of reloading, I probably got 6-12 months of work just with the various bins of brass on my benches. So no need to jump in on the spazz out and run to the gun store with my hands waving in the air in panic to go buy factory ammo.

When the national emergency last Friday it sent all the reactors, opposite of preppers, into panic mode and people went berserk and pillaged stores of their stock. Up here in "The Mountains" it was not as bad but some of it happened. Everything is totally calm with a little reduced traffic on the roads. Restaurants are take out only. Schools are closed. I went down yesterday to the secret Mennonite store, they had plenty of lunch meats and the local Amish brand that does bacon, cheese and dairy. No milk or bread though. Drove today down to the nearest city of 20000 people and went to the bigger mennonite shopping outlet, mostly full shelves, plenty of food. I was pleased, got a bunch more maple smoked bacon at $3.50 a pack and picked up a 3 kilo frozen pack of hash brown potatoes for $3.99. Went to the local Italian bakery/deli. Store looked as normal, tons of meat, nothing out of stock. Went to the upscale supermarket, Wegmans. They do a lot of prepared foods, custom meat orders, deli, bakery, etc. All that has ended, everything is pre packaged. Store was out of all paper products and the cookies and frozen pizza had got obliterated, but plenty of food. Americans will not starve anytime soon. I have 3 freezers/refrigerators full of food and back up electrical power along with a full closet of dry goods, water and drinks. Over 100 rolls of toilet paper. I've always had the philosophy to keep a few months supplies on hand, never knowing what could happen, some obscure black swan event and well, here we are.

Nearest The Thing case is 200 miles away. Farmers are still farming, shale frackers are still fracking, factories are still open, people are trying to keep their businesses afloat. My work got canceled for the month, we will see what happens next month. In the mean time I have plenty of projects to do at home.

This event is going to change the world significantly, but hopefully some good will come out of it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 19 Mar 2020, 1:05 pm

Ziad wrote:But we are not allowed single use plastic bags anymore.

It would be interesting to see the 12 month profit reports of business on the world, supermarket based stocks would be going crazy... while Qantas unless it gets govt subsidy (which it is) would be bankrupt in a month

Wal Mart stock in the USA has hit an all time high.

A lot of industries are going to be hurting for a while but if you are an investor there is already some great opportunities to buy in and set yourself up for the future.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 19 Mar 2020, 1:08 pm

Am88 wrote:reloading gear selling out? people have been watching doomsday preppers on Netflix or what? I think I have enough at the moment, maybe I should get some more just so the buggers don't buy it all out on me. I'm picturing roaming hoards of people on horseback with hoods and pitchforks demanding toilet paper or they will burn my house down......... Then I shoot them :lol:

I never thought toilet paper would be the thing to have or paper towels. I'm confused. That viral panic started in Australia with some videos, then spread to the USA. Exactly one week ago shelves were flush with mountains of toilet paper and by last Friday was a complete feeding frenzy. You can't eat paper towels or toilet paper, so what the big deal is I do not know.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Mar 2020, 1:20 pm

A bidet is a couple hundred - solved?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 19 Mar 2020, 1:28 pm

wanneroo wrote:I never thought toilet paper would be the thing to have or paper towels. I'm confused. That viral panic started in Australia with some videos, then spread to the USA. Exactly one week ago shelves were flush with mountains of toilet paper and by last Friday was a complete feeding frenzy. You can't eat paper towels or toilet paper, so what the big deal is I do not know.

I think "Scotty from marketing" had a lot to do with it.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 19 Mar 2020, 2:54 pm

Quick Tassie get the bum gun from eBay for about 20bucks, easy to install... no toilet paper required.

And honestly is better than the cheap 1 ply stuff you get in the big commercial rolls...i worry one day ill end up giving myself a prostrate exam with the 1 ply stuff.

What work do you do Wannaroo
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 20 Mar 2020, 1:52 am

Ziad wrote:Quick Tassie get the bum gun from eBay for about 20bucks, easy to install... no toilet paper required.

And honestly is better than the cheap 1 ply stuff you get in the big commercial rolls...i worry one day ill end up giving myself a prostrate exam with the 1 ply stuff.

What work do you do Wannaroo

I'm a subject matter expert in my field and split work with automotive manufacturers and the US military/US federal agencies and on occasion foreign governments with approval of the US State Dept.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by trekin » 20 Mar 2020, 2:49 am

TassieTiger wrote:A bidet is a couple hundred - solved?

$200, tell him he's dreamin'!
bidet.JPG
redneck bidet
bidet.JPG (33.51 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 20 Mar 2020, 6:37 am

It would seem that people here are now starting to buy ammo and reloading supplies etc, definitely not to the same extent as the toilet paper fiasco, nevertheless people seem to be stocking up a bit. As I understand it, this is being driven by ammo sales in the USA. I too received an email from a notable retailer advising that stocks are reducing and there is an expectant price rise imminent. Of course.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 20 Mar 2020, 6:41 am

Powder supplies during “normal” times are unreliable at best, I shudder to think how they will be if ADI send more than usual overseas to the US to cope with demand. Hmmm maybe one should go and buy an extra tin of powder, but then again that will just perpetuate the problem of short supply.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 20 Mar 2020, 6:57 am

Countries like the US and Australia with huge agricultural industries really have no prospect of running out of food. It would be much more rational to be concerned if you live in Britain. They only produce about 54% of their own food. They are dependent on food imports to a huge extent. If the volume of those imports are reduced to any great extent for a prolonged period, they will be in difficulty. I certainly hope that doesn’t happen.

I personally have bought a small amount of additional reloading components. The reason for that is my local gun store said that here in WA there are some issues around the supply of propellant powder. To the extent it may be four to six months before they can re-stock. I don’t know how correct that is. So to be on the safe side I bought an extra bottle of both types I use.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 20 Mar 2020, 7:23 am

My local has said as much here in QLD Bruiser64. Buying an additional tin so as not to run out in the next 6 months is definitely worthy of consideration.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 20 Mar 2020, 10:16 am

Guy on the wireless...from WA, calls himself a "silver nomad" because he doesnt like grey... :roll:
Traipsing all over & across SA to Broken Hill...

He's actually complaining in his toff type accent that no one is talking about how the virus outbreak is going to affect him (being that he is traveling around)... :?

He also expressed concerns & asked whether WA is going to let him back in across the border... :roll:

Obviously just getting some air time, effectively admitted he's well tuned in to the ABC & so up with the latest, so would be well aware there are no interstate restrictions :unknown:

SO i pead, to the state of WA, let this clown back in to where he belongs please..!!...and when he gets there,.drag him through a corona virus ward of one of your hospitals to alleviate his concerns... :roll:
:lol:

It must be a hard life having so much money you can afford to live out on the road in superb comfort with a much reduced chance of catching such a virus...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 20 Mar 2020, 10:38 am

JimTom wrote:It would seem that people here are now starting to buy ammo and reloading supplies etc, definitely not to the same extent as the toilet paper fiasco, nevertheless people seem to be stocking up a bit. As I understand it, this is being driven by ammo sales in the USA. I too received an email from a notable retailer advising that stocks are reducing and there is an expectant price rise imminent. Of course.

There was an excess of inventory of ammo on the shelves around the USA but it is being hoovered up fast. I heard Federal ammo was going to add shifts and overtime but no extra machines. If this is a thing that goes on for months it will suck up a lot of ammo and subsequently reloading components. Also due to increases in costs for raw materials, a lot of prices across the board were going up anyways. I'd say if you want something US sourced I would stock up now.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2020, 10:44 am

Tassie stocks are depleting fast and at LEAST 6 months before a restock...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wanneroo » 20 Mar 2020, 10:56 am

JimTom wrote:Powder supplies during “normal” times are unreliable at best, I shudder to think how they will be if ADI send more than usual overseas to the US to cope with demand. Hmmm maybe one should go and buy an extra tin of powder, but then again that will just perpetuate the problem of short supply.

It's kinda of like the toilet paper viral thing. People see one person buying up a cart of it and then it just spreads until it's all gone.

That's why I prepared during the good times of low prices and availability, buying bulk, I knew something someday somehow would happen and it has. The only hole I had in my reloading components was 300 Blackout oriented bullets and I fixed that problem today. I was a little concerned about how many primers I had but then opened an ammo can today and found 6000 primers I had forgot about so it was like Christmas :o :o :o

The governor of this state ordered all non life sustaining businesses closed as of Saturday morning and many thousands are losing their jobs as we speak with more to come so it appears the government is going to cure "the thing" with a great depression. Law Enforcement has announced they may be delayed in answering calls or not answer them at all perhaps, so we are on our own. I had to break out my sealed in plastic 40 round AR magazines today and start loading them. Things are very chill right now but a month from now if more than half the population is without work, all the bills they have are due, food and supplies dry up or utilities get shut off, it's going to deteriorate very fast.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Mar 2020, 11:10 am

Wtf.... so to stop a couple people getting sick now they are shutting everything down so In 3 months there will be more deaths
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2020, 11:22 am

]

Very, very true. Things could deteriorate very quickly from here...
There were two teenage girls yesterday in south Tas, skipping thru a supermarket spitting on ppl for fun, yelling out they were infected - spitting on as many as they could - it took police an hour to get there and they spent 20 mins getting suited up.
Police have also stopped doing planned random breath stations...and I imagine, an officer approaching a car, where the occupant is coughing loudly, might rethink it...

There are few more hurdles to fall over - but it must be on the radar. Someone said before - the generations they are reliant on handouts will be first to panic, as they have zero skills, but will their unhinging bring others to follow?

Interesting hearing from USA perspective - sounds similar.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 20 Mar 2020, 11:28 am

Now, im not having a crack here... :) ...But...!!...

This is exactly the kind of stuff that creates the fear & causes the panic buying.

I also heard a radio announcer this morning talking of someone who went out & panic purchased a heap of flour, sugar & yeast, so she can make bread in case it becomes in short supply...

The thing is, this person doesnt eat bread...!!... :lol:

Having said all that, i cant easily get hold of my go to projectiles now...all out, & the price is to rise by a little... :unknown:

And, im still yet to be sucessful in getting any fuking toilet paper...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2020, 11:30 am

Stix wrote:Now, im not having a crack here... :) ...But...!!...

This is exactly the kind of stuff that creates the fear & causes the panic buying.

I also heard a radio announcer this morning talking of someone who went out & panic purchased a heap of flour, sugar & yeast, so she can make bread in case it becomes in short supply...

Having said all that, i cant easily get hold of my go to projectiles now...all out, & the price is to rise by a little... :unknown:

True that it is - but it’s also being prepared, being aware of current happenings.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bruiser64 » 20 Mar 2020, 11:57 am

JimTom wrote:My local has said as much here in QLD Bruiser64. Buying an additional tin so as not to run out in the next 6 months is definitely worthy of consideration.

Absolutely. There is a difference between prudent preparation and panic. Buying a tin or two is prudent. Buying ten is panic.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 20 Mar 2020, 11:59 am

Stix wrote:Guy on the wireless...from WA, calls himself a "silver nomad" because he doesnt like grey... :roll:
Traipsing all over & across SA to Broken Hill...

He's actually complaining in his toff type accent that no one is talking about how the virus outbreak is going to affect him (being that he is traveling around)... :?

He also expressed concerns & asked whether WA is going to let him back in across the border... :roll:

Obviously just getting some air time, effectively admitted he's well tuned in to the ABC & so up with the latest, so would be well aware there are no interstate restrictions :unknown:

SO i pead, to the state of WA, let this clown back in to where he belongs please..!!...and when he gets there,.drag him through a corona virus ward of one of your hospitals to alleviate his concerns... :roll:
:lol:

It must be a hard life having so much money you can afford to live out on the road in superb comfort with a much reduced chance of catching such a virus...

No. He’s yours now. We don’t want him back. He’s probably some blonk from Claremont.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sungazer » 20 Mar 2020, 12:01 pm

wanneroo wrote:
The governor of this state ordered all non life sustaining businesses closed as of Saturday morning and many thousands are losing their jobs as we speak with more to come so it appears the government is going to cure "the thing" with a great depression. Law Enforcement has announced they may be delayed in answering calls or not answer them at all perhaps, so we are on our own. I had to break out my sealed in plastic 40 round AR magazines today and start loading them. Things are very chill right now but a month from now if more than half the population is without work, all the bills they have are due, food and supplies dry up or utilities get shut off, it's going to deteriorate very fast.

Closing all businesses is really going overboard, the knock on effect from that will be disastrous. There are so many important players in the supply chain of Life Sustaining business without one it all falls in a heap.

Just putting more people out of work than is absolutely necessary is going to have huge negative implications.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by trekin » 20 Mar 2020, 12:04 pm

Stix wrote:Now, im not having a crack here... :) ...But...!!...

Go to the Bunnings website and search toilet tissue, most stores have bulk commercial rolls for sale. But keep it under your hat if your local still has any, or they'll sell out as well.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2020, 12:44 pm

Maybe stop looking for the conventional toilet rolls from the conventional shops - as above, and elsewhere, supply stores have industrial supplies used at depots and similar - my work uses industrial rolls that last months, 600-700mm in diameter, the deployment housing / equipment isn’t really needed, a nail in the wall suffices.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation