Local gun shop closures with COVID shutdown

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Shutdown COVID - Local Gun Shops

Post by MJW380 » 26 Mar 2020, 9:01 pm

Ha, I knew it Ziad. I also suspect you vote green and write for The Guardian.....
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 26 Mar 2020, 10:12 pm

Ziad wrote:
Trekin, do you mean Jan 19th...as i thought the virus was still in very low state in China...aka i can understand it might have entered as one or two people came from wuhan... but not rife in the society.

As i said earlier, you may choose not to believe it, but this virus is now in the open, firstly we don't actually know what animal was the original carrier....

Anyone have Netflix see the series pandemic..... its scary...and so prophetic. All these expert scientists saying that the next pandemic is due and its very likely going to be respiratory like the flu, and will come from China.

Edited for clarity. A good question to ask is what do they mean by flattening the curve.

On January 20th China declared the outbreak an emergency- https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51364382

We know the virus originated from Bats yet couldn't infect humans as we had no receptors in any of our cells to allow it. The official story is this virus then jumped to another unknown animal in the wet market where it evolved in this unknown animal then was able to jump to humans through the ACE2 receptors we have.Those studying this virus say it has showed very little evolution unlike the regular flu which is constantly evolving which requires flu shots to evolve to keep up with it. The wet market where these animals are sold has no refrigeration the animals don't stay there very long before being sold for human consumption so the official story of it somehow rapidly evolving in the wet market before jumping to humans becomes even more far fetched.

Pandemic and Contagion are Hollywood fiction, they did ask Larry Brilliant who worked with eradicating small pox to develop an accurate perception of a pandemic with Contagion.

What they mean by flattening the curve is trying to reduce the rapid increase in patients which will overwhelm our hospitals resulting in doctors having to choose who lives and who dies based on available beds and equipment.
In NSW we have postponed all elective and non urgent surgery to free up space for Kung Flu victims.

If our hospital Intensive care units are full of Kung Flu victims then there will be no available beds to treat car crash or heart attack victims which is something to seriously consider. If you break a leg do you want to be in a hospital full of people with the Kung Flu?
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Mar 2020, 11:06 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 27 Mar 2020, 5:31 am

Ziad wrote:Hey zappa, mate i would take anything the sun publishes with a big grain of salt. They are not sensationalist media outlet at all...hehe

Trekin, do you mean Jan 19th...as i thought the virus was still in very low state in China...aka i can understand it might have entered as one or two people came from wuhan... but not rife in the society.

Tassie, mate not gonna happen. We are freedom loving people, who dont like rules too much.. even though as a herd we observe a lot of rules. So when you start taking people freedoms away some numpties will arc up. The govts appear to be trying to keep as many people happy as they can... who cares if a few die. Then i remember reading up of a guy, suspected for covid, and told to self isolate until the test results came back...he was enjoying life mixing with pepple, going to work.... and he was actually diagnosed with covid when the results came back...he was in tassie. Hahaha

As i said earlier, you may choose not to believe it, but this virus is now in the open, firstly we don't actually know what animal was the original carrier.... so even if we isolate the fk outta ourselves as humans the cycle will start again. Secondly going back to Australia unless Australia actually close its borders 100% for the next 18 months (until a vaccine is found) isolation will cause a b lot of pain but not the results you expect (health experts expectation is different).

Eg Let's say we erradicate it from Australia completely. If we do not force all overseas visitors to test and self isolate until the results come back negative the virus will just come back. And then the cycle will begin again for us. The end game is herd immunity either by vaccine or just infection by the real virus.

Anyone have Netflix see the series pandemic..... its scary...and so prophetic. All these expert scientists saying that the next pandemic is due and its very likely going to be respiratory like the flu, and will come from China.

Ok ok TFE be happy i am slightly worried..... but you are still wrong in your assessment

Edited for clarity. A good question to ask is what do they mean by flattening the curve.

No mate, Dec 2019. The Chinese only declared it an emergency when the infection rate hit a certain percentage, which was in Jan 2020. The outbreak was first noted back in Nov 2019, as far as the Chinese are willing to admit, and with no travel restrictions, well you get the picture. The rest of the world didn't know of, nor were testing for it, then. If you went to the doctors with those symptoms, you would have been told it was just a "wog" going around, or if the symptoms were bad enough to warrant lab tests, then the results would have been "unkown" sister virus to the flu.
These test kits could not have been developed, tested and manufactured (in these numbers) overnight, or within the last couple of weeks, so the poms have known they had this problem for some time.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Mar 2020, 5:49 am

Not sure what other states are doing but here in Tas - EVEN if you present at the GP’s with a cold / FLU, you will NOT be tested unless you meet other criteria.

It’s this, that is screwing up our numbers...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 27 Mar 2020, 7:38 am

So...sorry to talk about gunshops & ammo supplies.
But.
ABC Radio--ABC Eyre Peninsula and West Coast
(The AM frequency is 1485).

Have just "asked the question" on air of "why are gun shops going mad with sales"...?

So they are doing a little session on that after 8.30am (CST/SA Time).
They're also interviewing a shop too--it'll be interesting to hear who they interview.

It'll also be interesting to hear if they get any callers voicing their opinions on air...

So tune in boys...!!
We're famous...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 27 Mar 2020, 7:44 am

TassieTiger wrote:Not sure what other states are doing but here in Tas - EVEN if you present at the GP’s with a cold / FLU, you will NOT be tested unless you meet other criteria.

It’s this, that is screwing up our numbers...

There was no test for this new virus before Feb. Many reports the Chinese test was faulty like most Chinese products.
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/china-supplied-faulty-coronavirus-test-kits-to-spain-czech-republic/

There aren't enough test kits currently available production is ramping up so they don't want to use them on people with no symptoms they prefer to use them to confirm those with symptoms have it.

CDC started shipping this test on 5th Feb.
Shipping of CDC 2019 Novel Coronavirus Diagnostic Test Kits Begins

Thursday, February 6, 2020

A CDC-developed laboratory test kit to detect 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) began shipping yesterday to select qualified U.S. and international laboratories. Distribution of the tests will help improve the global capacity to detect and respond to the 2019 novel coronavirus.

The test kit has not been FDA cleared or approved, however distribution and use of the test kits follows the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) February 4, 2020, issuance of an Emergency Use Authorization

More here- https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0206-coronavirus-diagnostic-test-kits.html

Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 27 Mar 2020, 7:57 am

I think the gun shops started this panic buying themselves in the hope of creating some sales. It was the gun shops that sent emails to all their known customers saying get in fast everything is going to sell out. Not scott from marketing but a good marketing ploy all the same.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Mar 2020, 7:59 am

There was no test for this new virus before Feb. Many reports the Chinese test was faulty like most Chinese products.
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/china-supplied-faulty-coronavirus-test-kits-to-spain-czech-republic/

There aren't enough test kits currently available production is ramping up so they don't want to use them on people with no symptoms they prefer to use them to confirm those with symptoms have it.

[quote]

Yep. Understand that. But what “symptoms” do you need to have to be tested...? As I said above - I know at least 7 ppl who have gone to local GP with flu or cold or ? fully expecting to be diagnosed with CV, and they were not tested, they WERE told to go home and self isolate incase - these are people with coughs, fevers, etc - everyone knows the symptoms. In the scheme of things - it matters not if they are or are not tested (as long as they follow drs orders) but Surely, surely, the reported numbers are completely inaccurate given ration cv testing?

Cmon Stix, you’ve clearly headlined this thread in an attempt to be an author of the longest running thread on EG and your enjoying all the attention?
It’s a wonder you didn’t label it -“trump roots Greta and gives her corona for the sake of the world”. :allegedly: :sarcasm:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Baronvonrort » 27 Mar 2020, 8:17 am

TassieTiger wrote:

Yep. Understand that. But what “symptoms” do you need to have to be tested...? As I said above - I know at least 7 ppl who have gone to local GP with flu or cold or ? fully expecting to be diagnosed with CV, and they were not tested, they WERE told to go home and self isolate incase - these are people with coughs, fevers, etc - everyone knows the symptoms. In the scheme of things - it matters not if they are or are not tested (as long as they follow drs orders) but Surely, surely, the reported numbers are completely inaccurate given ration cv testing?

If they have symptoms and weren't tested I think that's because they don't have the test. Some places are worse than others with availability of test kits.

I agree with reported numbers not being accurate only a tiny percentage of our population has been tested. I expect numbers to radically increase with increase in percentage of people tested
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 27 Mar 2020, 8:53 am

Stix wrote:So...sorry to talk about gunshops & ammo supplies.
But.
ABC Radio--ABC Eyre Peninsula and West Coast
(The AM frequency is 1485).

Have just "asked the question" on air of "why are gun shops going mad with sales"...?

So they are doing a little session on that after 8.30am (CST/SA Time).
They're also interviewing a shop too--it'll be interesting to hear who they interview.

It'll also be interesting to hear if they get any callers voicing their opinions on air...

So tune in boys...!!
We're famous...!!

Well it was a flop...
Infact it didnt even get to flop...lol.

Firstly the DJ did the commercial radio thing--mentiin its happening at 8.30 to get you listening, then make you wait gor atleast an hour.

Anyway---there was an unidentified problem getting hold of the person.
I suspect the gun shop owner is 15 deep at the counter & cant take the call...LMAO.

What a let down...was looking forward to a debate becauae this DJ is expressing concern at people buying guns.. :roll: .almost a passive anti...

Very surprising considering he's representing/morning DJ for ABC over a huge rural area that extends right out accross a huge length of the dog fence & all land to it, where firearms are almost always at arms reach.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Raband » 27 Mar 2020, 9:09 am

TassieTiger wrote:. But what “symptoms” do you need to have to be tested...? :

AFAIK they need to link you to oversea travel or a know carrier or risk vector before they will test you instead of telling you to go home and act as if you do have it and self isolate.

There will definitely be people who have the virus that have been sent home to self isolate without being tested so the actual numbers will be far?? greater than shown.

Will also be many people who carry the virus who have zero symptoms and will have no idea they are able to pass it around to the community if they continue their daily life as per normal.

As gun owners we treat all firearms as if they are always loaded - maybe time for the short term for everyone to start acting as if everyone is a carrier and take at least the basic simple sanitation and distancing steps. Zero harm done if everyone acts cautiuously vs possilbe calamity if a decent percentage ignore the new guidelines.
Raband
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 27 Mar 2020, 9:32 am

And just to add further insult to injury, The Chinese are swooping on struggling business to take them over. Aunty Pauline is going to love that.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... 54e3z.html

tin foilers will tell you that's been Chinas plan all along.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Mar 2020, 10:40 am

Well the price gouging going on is bloody sickening...
Specifically in some gun shops...!!!

Its so blatently bad, that i hope people recognise the ones doing it & that it comes back to bite those shops big & hard when everything is back to normal...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Zappa » 27 Mar 2020, 11:00 am

Stix wrote:Well the price gouging going on is bloody sickening...
Specifically in some gun shops...!!!

It was bound to happen. Kick your customers in the guts while they are down on their haunches. :thumbsdown:

What have you priced Stix ?
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Mar 2020, 12:07 pm

Lots of things.
One specific case...primers...
Was told face to face that there is plenty of stock, with another shipment coming at the same cost...
So knowing that i left to transfer some money...next day they've gone up...

To think ive gone out of my way to support them, not to mention get them extra business, & they lie to my face, & get aggressive at people who question the why...?...

Its fukn piss poor, & quite frankly, i hate to say it, but i hope these people suffer for their blatant greed...!!!

There actions, all price gougers & greedy profiteers, are hurting some people, & this not getting through in the media because of so much other hype.

You wsit till well after life has resumed to its new normal...i bet the suicide rate skyrockets, like it isnt bad enough now...!!

Its just fukn appauling the lies & excuses ive heard...

"We have to pay our staff for however long we get shut down for"...
bulls**t...!!!...
I net the staff are sacked the moment the doors shut...!!
Anf the govt are going to pay them anyway...

Just greedy liars & pigs...& probably got sheds full of toilet paper! !!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Mar 2020, 2:28 pm

Stix - did you ring my local after my whinge above??

I went back in today just to see how things were going - they recognised their over charge a couple days previous and discounted my purchase close enough to old prices...I think a guilt trip has hit some?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2020, 2:48 pm

Bunnings today. Vynl gloves $13 a box. Not sure what the RRP is but must be close 100% mark up.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Raband » 27 Mar 2020, 3:24 pm

Gun shops ordered to close in Western Australia due to the corona virus!
Heard via FB - not sure if true
Raband
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Mar 2020, 3:59 pm

Went to my local at lunch to get primers, powder, 308 projectiles and .22LR. Just the usual amount I buy every couple of months, not raping and pillaging the shelves.

The store was pretty busy but no more than usual for a Friday and prices were the same as always. Queensland gun shops, for the win!!
Member-Deleted

Post by TerminatorSkyNET » 27 Mar 2020, 4:37 pm

Can confirm, WA gun shops closing, a very sad for us.

Gun shops to close as part of further measures in COVID-19 response
Friday, 27 March 2020

Gun shops to close from midday, March 27, 2020.

As part of additional measures to respond to the Coronavirus emergency, the Western Australian Government has moved to close gun shops and firearm dealerships.

From midday, as part of a direction under the Emergency Management Act, all gun shops across the State are required to close.

It follows stage two restrictions to close down community sporting facilities and other venues such as shooting ranges and gun clubs.

Whilst it is recognised licensed firearm owners and dealers exercise high compliance, these preventative measures are being taken in the interests of community safety.

Exemptions will be put in place to ensure farmers and other rural landholders can continue to access ammunition for pest control and animal welfare reasons through registered firearm dealers.

Comments attributed to Premier Mark McGowan:

"Given the closure of firearm sporting clubs and shooting venues, and the need to comply with social distancing, there is effectively no need for over the counter sales at gun stores.

"Importantly we will ensure farmers and rural landholders continue to have access to ammunition for pest control and animal welfare reasons.

"In these unprecedented times, we are taking sensible decisions and putting preventative measures in place to limit the spread of this virus and ensure the safety of the community."

Premier's office - 6552 5000
TerminatorSkyNET
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Mar 2020, 4:54 pm

Hmm mate post it on their Facebook page... then another time in 6 months. Name em and shame em Stix.

Unless ofcourse their suppliers have increased. Jane you looked at sara they seem to have lots of stuff
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Mar 2020, 5:05 pm

Yea good on you BBSS... :thumbsup:

There are some good ones out there...its just a pissa when yours does the stab n grab from you...

I ended up getting some stuff sent from Sydney...way cheaper than was seemingly bothered or possible from here, & after only 5 mins on the phone... :unknown: :)
Original price here was coincidentally bumped up enough to make me go look at my last receipt to confirm what i was first quoted...
I was a bit bummed at that so i rang a store in NSW...the guy was really nice on the phone...treated me as well as a paying customer in the store, something many shops dont think is necessary these days... :roll:
Im doing it a little hard at the moment, & he even gave me a little discount (very little, but still :thumbsup: ) on the already competitive prices to basically help out with the freight side of it.
All in all, it was what they call a "pleasant shopping experience"...so i took what he had on the shelf & he got rid of a good number of bullets into my PO box...!!
They're already here & i picked em up this morning, while my local couldn't give a fuk at what they've missed out on... :roll: i just dont get that mentality :unknown:
Shame we cant name them on this site, because this big store deserve a shout out for their service :clap: , as compared to what some have turned into.
Ill be shopping with that guy in that shop again for sure...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Zappa » 27 Mar 2020, 5:20 pm

Stix wrote:Shame we cant name them on this site, .!!

Give the one's that are doing the right thing a shout out and shame the scoundrels.Name their area\region. ie West Adelaide, South Sydney. :!:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Mar 2020, 5:26 pm

Ziad wrote:Hmm mate post it on their Facebook page... then another time in 6 months. Name em and shame em Stix.

Unless ofcourse their suppliers have increased. Jane you looked at sara they seem to have lots of stuff

No wasnt a wholesale price increase...they admitted that...& thats where im so gobsmacked at the entitled attitude...

Id love to be in the position to return their behaviour...
Build them a deck to a quoted price of $20k, then come time of completion demand an extra $2k just because i can, & take it away & give it to someone else if they didnt like the price...

But they would cry about it not being the same...& ignore the fact they were being treated the same way they treat others...

I wonder if they'd openly admit how they behave to their Grandkids... :roll:

Ah fuk it...How did you guess that Zappa...!!lol
Horsley Park were the good guys in my story...!!...good on em...!!! :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Grumpy » 27 Mar 2020, 5:55 pm

Raband wrote:Gun shops ordered to close in Western Australia due to the corona virus!
Heard via FB - not sure if true

Definitely true as from midday today. Typical of WA most of the shops found out from the news or customers.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Mar 2020, 6:01 pm

I read that as well... can't believe... all i say is i am not moving to WA ever, even if i don't shoot.... Plus Perth water tastes like poo.

Sorry
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Westaussieguy » 27 Mar 2020, 8:12 pm

I work in a regional gun shop in w.a. and we have been shut down today. The police came into the shop and shut us down. WTF??? has any other business had a visit from the cops to close there doors? Apparently it is for public safety. I haven't seen any shooting in the streets, no trespassers shot, nobody sitting outside their house with a loaded gun. We certainly didn't contribute to the passage of the virus because we followed all the separation rules. The premier basically said they couldn't trust gun owners. They have had no communication with us except to close us down. Primary produces are told they can still access gun and ammo sales, but we can't sell to them if we are closed. Fu@!ed up political decisions. Probably the best way to piss off legit gun owners. Sorry rant finished, gonna have a beer and work out how to survive without a job.
Westaussieguy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sketchy243 » 27 Mar 2020, 8:18 pm

I hope qld holds out I have a shot gun paid in full just waiting on pta
Sketchy243
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Stix » 27 Mar 2020, 8:31 pm

Westaussieguy wrote:I work in a regional gun shop in w.a. and we have been shut down today. The police came into the shop and shut us down. WTF??? has any other business had a visit from the cops to close there doors? Apparently it is for public safety. I haven't seen any shooting in the streets, no trespassers shot, nobody sitting outside their house with a loaded gun. We certainly didn't contribute to the passage of the virus because we followed all the separation rules. The premier basically said they couldn't trust gun owners. They have had no communication with us except to close us down. Primary produces are told they can still access gun and ammo sales, but we can't sell to them if we are closed. Fu@!ed up political decisions. Probably the best way to piss off legit gun owners. Sorry rant finished, gonna have a beer and work out how to survive without a job.

Firstly...do the noble thing mate...Centrelink...before you crack that beer, get on the site & give em your name & address...!!

Secondly...while everyone on the eastern side of the WA border was busy watching AH (Armageddon Hour)...or DH (Dystopian Hour)...lol...i went to servo with trailers & pumped up some tyres, & while doing I heard the press report on the radio with who ever it was (Premier...?) saying shutting down gun shops is a public safety issue & of a serious concern...

Well thats just rubbish...!!...
It sounds like an oppressive premeditated & targeted en masse shutdown... :shock:

We/us shooters in this country should band together & do something about it...it makes no sense has no merit, is bigoted, & is definitely persecutive (is that a word...?) of all shooters & gun owners Nation wide.

We should ask ourselves if WA is a test case for the rest of us...!!...big area...small population...but could be portrayed differently to the other states...!!!

So Westaussieguy, do you know if anyone is doing anything about it...?
This oppressive totalitarian rubbish should be stopped...!!

Dont get me wrong, im not suggesting anything unlawful at all...!!!...but standing up for ones civil rights is surely on the cards...!!!
Personally...i think this is worthy of its own thread...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation