Stupid simple cures

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Stupid simple cures

Post by Farmerpete » 02 Apr 2020, 6:33 pm

Starting this for a bit of comic relief just wanted to hear some stupid simple ideas for curing Rona
Things like just sniff ethanol it works in hand sanitizer
Or maybe we just cook it out with chemotherapy etc.etc.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Stupid simple cures

Post by Blr243 » 02 Apr 2020, 7:04 pm

I was just about to post a new topic relating to metho vs hand sanitiser ......so instead it might just fit right here. For toilet paper I care little but I Is a bit frustrated that I can’t buy hand sanitizer......I have heard the corona effective type is 70 per cent ethanol. I did a tiny bit of research and I saw that methyllated spirits actually has a poison added to it to discourage people from drinking it. I did not know that ...... does anyone know if washing hands in metho kills the dreaded virus ? Is this a stupid question, ? I spose I’m about to find out. At least I’m “on topic”
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 02 Apr 2020, 7:06 pm

apparently the iranians were drinking ethanol for a corona cure and it killed a couple of hundred of them
l have to say though l think they would be feeling pretty helpless
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 02 Apr 2020, 7:13 pm

Blr243 wrote:I was just about to post a new topic relating to metho vs hand sanitiser ......so instead it might just fit right here. For toilet paper I care little but I Is a bit frustrated that I can’t buy hand sanitizer......I have heard the corona effective type is 70 per cent ethanol. I did a tiny bit of research and I saw that methyllated spirits actually has a poison added to it to discourage people from drinking it. I did not know that ...... does anyone know if washing hands in metho kills the dreaded virus ? Is this a stupid question, ? I spose I’m about to find out. At least I’m “on topic”

It is not widely publicized but the methanol that we buy in the supermarkets is actually ethanol with not a poison added but a chemical that makes it taste very bad that is not easily separated even by distillation. This is of course a safety measure as too many people were being poisoned drinking the cheap methanol.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bill » 02 Apr 2020, 7:17 pm

exercise and an armed bush walk will keep the lungs healthy and give you ya best chance otherwise fresh tiger tassie nuts ground up and sniffed :lol:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 02 Apr 2020, 7:41 pm

Blr243 wrote:I was just about to post a new topic relating to metho vs hand sanitiser ......so instead it might just fit right here. For toilet paper I care little but I Is a bit frustrated that I can’t buy hand sanitizer......I have heard the corona effective type is 70 per cent ethanol. I did a tiny bit of research and I saw that methyllated spirits actually has a poison added to it to discourage people from drinking it. I did not know that ...... does anyone know if washing hands in metho kills the dreaded virus ? Is this a stupid question, ? I spose I’m about to find out. At least I’m “on topic”

Yes, metho cut with water to 70% does work, can also be cut with moistoriser if drying of the skin is a worry, or liquid soap, anything really just don't go below 70% metho. Metho straight out ofthe bottle works, but is not as effective as a 70% mix. Was advise this by a medical pathologist who has been doing work with this virus.
We take 70ml of metho, add 30ml of water and soak into a washer sized peice of old flannel sheet, then keep it in a zip lock bag. Replace with newly soaked flannel when the smell of metho weaken when you open the bag. Air dry used flannel, wash, rinse, repeat.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 02 Apr 2020, 7:58 pm

Oh, and do not drink, this is for sanitising only.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 02 Apr 2020, 8:01 pm

My understanding is that the virus has an algae like coating that protects it. Washing with soap for 20 seconds should do the trick( sing happy birthday twice while scrubbing) also remember between your fingers and under your wedding ring

If you remember chemistry from high school any of the alcohol family should do the trick so finger nail polish remover should work if you can't get metho or ethanol.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Apr 2020, 8:50 pm

Seems to be a bit of confusion here regarding alcohols, ethanol is the stuff we drink, methanol is the poisonous stuff made from the hydrogenation of carbon monoxide, (used to be mostly made from wood pulp). A per centage is added to ethanol to become methylated spirit, typically 10% plus other additives which can include ketones, isopropyl etc. Another chemical has been added to make it horribly bitter to avoid mixing with orange cordial or milk and keeping in the fridge for emergencies! The Iranians drank Methanol after being told it will cure Covid 19. It does too, permanently. Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Apr 2020, 9:30 pm

Yep, 70% metho plus 30 % water.
More or less metho makes it less effective.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 9:34 pm

Correct.
Methanol boiling point depending on environment is approx 66 degrees and ethanol is 75-78 degrees.
When distilling for drinking, the first hundred mills has to be discarded for safety (foreshots) asvits likely contaminated with some methanol - even only using sugar washes, you wouldn’t take a chance.

I recall a story a few back in QLD where two teen age kids died.
Dad was distilling some shine and storing his offtake into a drum. Methanol being lighter than ethanol settles at the top - kids go in and take a couple cups off the top = methanol. Had they gone deep, would have been okay...sad but true.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Apr 2020, 10:13 pm

Use pink salt. Will cure anything. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 03 Apr 2020, 1:35 am

President Lukashenko of Belarus believed cleansing the body with Vodka, saunas, working outside and getting on the tractor is a cure for the virus:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/belarus-p ... ronavirus/

One thing we know from many studies is that Vitamin D helps ward off respiratory infection. When we do not have sunny days I take a pill for it.

Another thing found is that many of the worst affected patients have a zinc deficiency. Just watch over doing zinc consumption.

I also regularly consume oregano, garlic and black elderberry.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by straightshooter » 03 Apr 2020, 6:57 am

Just to add some facts to counter some of the rubbish presented earlier.
Yes a 70% ethanol water mixture is indeed an excellent anti-bacterial and anti-viral. This has been proven by my son when doing a Phd in medical chemistry.
"Metho" or more correctly denatured alcohol, once upon a time contained 10% Methanol but hasn't contained substantial amounts of Methyl Alcohol for a very long time. The most common denaturing agent in modern "metho" sold to the general public is pyridine which acts as an emetic and is very foul tasting but not seriously poisonous in the quantity that might possibly be consumed before being flushed by vomiting.
A topical application of 70% "metho" and water in the form of a hand wipe should be safe.
The main advantage of pyridine is that it has precisely the same boiling point as the ethanol azeotrope and thus can't be distilled out by an enterprising enthusiast.
In the end it is hard to beat soap and water.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 03 Apr 2020, 8:00 am

Thank u all for the info
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 03 Apr 2020, 8:22 am

straightshooter wrote:Just to add some facts to counter some of the rubbish presented earlier.
Yes a 70% ethanol water mixture is indeed an excellent anti-bacterial and anti-viral. This has been proven by my son when doing a Phd in medical chemistry.
"Metho" or more correctly denatured alcohol, once upon a time contained 10% Methanol but hasn't contained substantial amounts of Methyl Alcohol for a very long time. The most common denaturing agent in modern "metho" sold to the general public is pyridine which acts as an emetic and is very foul tasting but not seriously poisonous in the quantity that might possibly be consumed before being flushed by vomiting.
A topical application of 70% "metho" and water in the form of a hand wipe should be safe.
The main advantage of pyridine is that it has precisely the same boiling point as the ethanol azeotrope and thus can't be distilled out by an enterprising enthusiast.
In the end it is hard to beat soap and water.

Absolutely correct SS there is no Methanol in Mentholated Sprites sold in Australia.

TT I know a fair bit about making washes for distilling and brewing either beer or wine. From a sugar wash there will be next to no methanol. To have any methanol in a distilled product such as spirits it must first be produced in the wash. Distillation only concentrates the wash by separation it adds nor takes away anything. The fist step in making any alcohol is fermenting a wash. this process can take sugars and or starches and the yeast present or added can convert those into alcohol. The reason they call it wood alcohol is that more methanol is produced from ingredients that have a lot of certain types of starches. In some countries like Bali they are making the cheap stuff using wood pulp this makes a lot of methanol Other countries the natives use all sorts of plants Tapioca, cactus ect these will all have a % of Methanol

Even if you distill beer that is made from weat, barley and other grains it still has a very low methanol content. By % the distillation of the beer will increase in a given volume. You can quite easily as the home distiller with a good still remove this methanol although not a 100% require if you distill the complete qty of beer and keep it all mixed together then water it down back to 35-40% and bottle it. this way drinking one bottle of the spirit will still only give you the same amount of methanol consumed as if you had drunk a slab of beer.

In wines the Methanol is less again with grapes holding an already converted large amount of sugar and the sugar wash next to no methanol.

So any way Methanol in Australia is Ethanol with the Pyridine added to discourage drinking.

https://diggersaustralia.com.au/safety-data-sheets/

Look on the second page for Methylated Spirits NZ V4
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Apr 2020, 8:39 am

Agreed sungazer - but foreshots and even the first few head cuts are crap regardless, so call it double safety/quality...for the sake of it.
Full reflux of sugar washes, sees temps rise regardless...I’ve seen just shy of azetrope with my bokka at 94% - a clearer liquid, I have never ever witnessed - it’s quite amazing.
Fruit fermentation can produce meth - albeit limited in quantity (you can see how fast temp rises be offtake), I’ve messed with fruit brandy, wheat / barley, other regular grains, and everything in between but my heart lays with a corn based mash bill. That first smell just shy of 75 degrees...? Should be an aftershave.

I recently sent a few samples to a couple of members on here - with quite positive responses (I imported 20 small French and USA oak barrels with medium to heavy char, some years ago)...speaking of which, Stix hasn’t been on in a while...hope I haven’t killed him lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 03 Apr 2020, 8:40 am

Irrespective wheather there is methanol (or other chemicals) or not in household metho, no one here is telling people to drink it. Methanol itself is a simple alcohol, and at the right mix will also act as a sanitiser.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 03 Apr 2020, 8:50 am

trekin wrote:Irrespective wheather there is methanol (or other chemicals) or not in household metho, no one here is telling people to drink it. Methanol itself is a simple alcohol, and at the right mix will also act as a sanitiser.

Agreed but the discussion went to whether Methanol was as effective as Ethanol as a sanitizer so the little detour was just to show what you buy as Methalated
spirits is Ethanol so you are good to go using it and dont worry about it not being as effective as Ethanol because it is.

TT I am also in the hobby :)
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Farmerpete » 03 Apr 2020, 1:37 pm

After reading all of straightshooters comment I only have one question- does pyridine have the same freezing point as ethanol
just because I might know an enterprising enthusiast who thinks outside the box
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Apr 2020, 5:41 pm

trekin wrote:Irrespective wheather there is methanol (or other chemicals) or not in household metho, no one here is telling people to drink it. Methanol itself is a simple alcohol, and at the right mix will also act as a sanitiser.

Hooray, yes. Its just another type of alcohol. You dont need to kill 100%. Just control the virus by reducing the numbers so they are not viable .
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 03 Apr 2020, 7:09 pm

So back on topic as an avo farmer with a current surplus of avos and not knowing any avocado farmers infected I'm going to say avocado is a cure.
It's either that or the pink salt I put with it
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 03 Apr 2020, 7:23 pm

I work in a liquid (chemical) fertiliser factory where everything has a film or layer of corrosive chemical soup over it. This film is corrosive enough that we’ve written off forklifts because their wiring loom was rotten from end to end. Even concrete gets eaten away.
My plan is to not wash, not wear a mask not change my clothes but get a good coating inside and out of all the sulphates and nitrates, dust, mist and vapour I can as no bugs can live where I work.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by snag » 03 Apr 2020, 7:33 pm

"So back on topic as an avo farmer with a current surplus of avos and not knowing any avocado farmers infected I'm going to say avocado is a cure."
HA HA HA! Farmerpete, I'm gunna say you're spot on the money, except I'm gunna add macadamias to the cure list 'cos we don't have it either.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 05 Apr 2020, 11:50 am

Sky just reported the new chloroquine it's apparently a head lice treatment named ivemectin
Kero was the best on head lice when I was young so let's try that next
The other treatment when I was a kid had the same active as nitofol maybe we shouldn't have stopped spraying it on spuds and we'd all be immune to covid
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 05 Apr 2020, 12:13 pm

Farmerpete wrote:Sky just reported the new chloroquine it's apparently a head lice treatment named ivemectin
Kero was the best on head lice when I was young so let's try that next
The other treatment when I was a kid had the same active as nitofol maybe we shouldn't have stopped spraying it on spuds and we'd all be immune to covid

https://www.theage.com.au/national/aust ... 54h15.html
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 05 Apr 2020, 12:30 pm

Ivermectin has been used as a cattle drench for over 20 years for killing worms. Its use in the cattle industry is becoming less as the parasites have become resistant to it.
It is also used in worming treatments for humans in conjunction with Albendazole. I still have a few packet from when I lived in Asia and used them every six months just in case.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by trekin » 05 Apr 2020, 1:45 pm

sungazer wrote:Ivermectin has been used as a cattle drench for over 20 years for killing worms. Its use in the cattle industry is becoming less as the parasites have become resistant to it.
It is also used in worming treatments for humans in conjunction with Albendazole. I still have a few packet from when I lived in Asia and used them every six months just in case.

Wonder if Pryantel works as well? Just had a does of that a couple of weeks ago.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 05 Apr 2020, 1:49 pm

Does that mean in the interest of health I should breathe deeply when drenching cattle?
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Apr 2020, 2:26 pm

A n internal plasterboard contractor once told me that you can avoid silicosis from sanding walls if you drink cans of Jim beam and coke every night. Have not seen him for a while not sure if he is still alive
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation