Petition for Dedicated Cooking/Game Cooking Thread..

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Petition for Dedicated Cooking/Game Cooking Thread..

Post by Stix » 17 Apr 2020, 11:28 am

I think this site is missing a dedicated Game cooking section.

If someone has had a recipe in the past, its just been dropped anywhere...hunting, off-topic, varminting, camping...where ever. :unknown: ..& its a real shame, given we are unique to the majority of punters who buy & cook supermarket grown meat & reference their cooking off of one of the 697 thousand million brain dead commercial cooking shows on both pay & free to air idiot box programming...

I know its been attempted before by some good blokes (one in particular im thinking of in my time here) who have a genuine interest & live on organically harvested meat, but sadly the move has been seemingly ignored thus failed... :unknown:

I dont know what the logistics of it are--whether its hard to do on the software/programming side, but i think there should be one here...!!

Consider this a petition to the Admin to have a dedicated section...

Post up a reply if you think it would be a good idea, & lets get some good ideas up on here...i know ive been lucky enough to have a caserole type recipe from someone on here a good while ago that is unbelievable considering its main ingredient base...
And there have been some fantastic recipes posted up on this site...its a shame theyre not relatively easily accessible...

Even if you dont cook what you kill, you might get inspiration to try a recipe...or get your missus, or your man missus to knock up some bunny sticks or a goat goulash...

Now is a good time to do this, with many having more time to spend on forums like this, as well as cook what he have with a little more time to try different things...

lets all come together & get this happening for our fellow selves... :)

Post up your thoughts, & hopefully some support for a page like this...

:)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Petition for Dedicated Cooking/Game Cooking Thread..

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Apr 2020, 11:59 am

No, I'm fat enough as it is, you put up a game cooking thread I'll get hungry looking at it and go raid the fridge! Bad for my health (what's left of it). Seriously though I have enjoyed reading some of the recipes people have posted now and then and it could be a good idea if enough people use it. Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2020, 12:09 pm

:clap: Top idea. :drinks:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 17 Apr 2020, 12:17 pm

why not :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Apr 2020, 12:40 pm

Was asked for several times historically but I think in order for it to be managed - another heading had to be dropped? Maybe blackened can chime in.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2020, 4:33 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Was asked for several times historically but I think in order for it to be managed - another heading had to be dropped? Maybe blackened can chime in.

Got a feeling in part at least that was the idea of camping section. Perhaps a sub-section undrr camping?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 17 Apr 2020, 5:11 pm

Pretty sure someone suggested this about two years ago, field to fork, paddock to plate or something similar. Mods didn’t go for it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 17 Apr 2020, 5:14 pm

Not a bad idea though. I’d like to see it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 23 Apr 2020, 4:06 pm

Thought id give this thread a bump...never know...someone else might be interested...

like here...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10902

And interestingly, this attempt by Bent Arrow looks to have been wiped...??... :unknown:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9252
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by snag » 23 Apr 2020, 6:03 pm

Great idea. A lot of people don't get the best out of their harvest because they don't even know the basics - I know some blokes who can't even cook redclaw properly.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 23 Apr 2020, 6:11 pm

snag wrote:Great idea. A lot of people don't get the best out of their harvest because they don't even know the basics - I know some blokes who can't even cook redclaw properly.

and l know some blokes who dont even know what redclaw is :lol: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Apr 2020, 8:11 pm

:lol: :lol:

Well its pissed down right up to 2pm today here in the city of churches...soo...

Youve heard of "hunter gatherer"...?

Well today as an experiment...ive done a "Hunter Bachelor"... :lol:

Not havng any coin has forced me to make some room in the freezer, so my experiment today is--ive got a (half actually) Half a jointed Hare in the slow cooker...experimenting with a supermarket packet...from...(drumroll please ol' Stixy.......bddlllrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..Ka-splash...!!...ALDI...!!... :clap: ...(lol)

Browned up the joints...
Chopped 2 stalks of Celery, 2 carrots, 10 or so button mushies, AND...and a pack of ALDI brand "Beef Stroganof" flavour sachet...

I also added a few cups of water i saved from having steamed vegies last night...& i deglazed the pan to lift the hare flavoured crud & added that to the slow cooker...and let me tell ya... :) ...im not a fan of these bought msg filled chemical flavour salt filled packets, but ....(big drum solo...!!!!--(no im not going to spell that one out... :lol: ...))...Its tasting pretty dam goodly i gotta say...!! :) :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 23 Apr 2020, 8:45 pm

Stix wrote:Thought id give this thread a bump...never know...someone else might be interested...

like here...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10902

And interestingly, this attempt by Bent Arrow looks to have been wiped...??... :unknown:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9252

Hmmmmm how curious.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 24 Apr 2020, 11:01 am

I think it would be good idea to have a set place for beginners to learn the fundamentals of skinning gutting and cooking game.
Also a write up of what disease looks like and things to watch for with pics of both healthy and diseased would be useful.
The only downside to such a section is it would have to be heavily moderated to ensure factual posting and would probably need a disclaimer so no one could say I followed the guide on enough gun now I'm sick I blame them and want money.
These two reasons alone are probably why your wish hasn't been granted.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 24 Apr 2020, 11:47 am

Good points Farmerpete...a disclaimer at the beginning would be a good idea...

However, i think someone suing EG because they got food poisoning from their own mess is a push to be honest...

I mean if i get the runs from a deer, i doubt id be able to sucessfully sue SSAA for me not following their video on cutting the ring out a deers arse properly...

Id liken that to someone suing "Taste-Dot-Com" because their own chicken was crook & they cross contaminated their salad with raw meat...or blowing your own face off based on not proceeding with caution in reloading, because you read something on the internet...

We shouldnt be afraid to publicise our recipes & experiences, & we shouldnt be governed by on the fear these litigating manipulative anti gun/hunting minds indoctrinate us with...

Rather we should promote it & smash the negative nancy type thinking out of the park... :)

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 24 Apr 2020, 11:55 am

I agree with what your saying stix but even if suing the forum might be a push, America is suing China for covid so you never know.
The problem with relying on common sense is that it's not too common anymore
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Apr 2020, 2:27 pm

Well...went to a uncles place last night for tacos and to help him with a “problem” and wow. They were bloody amazing...and even better when he told me it was pulled rabbit meat...braised in a Mexican style marinade (out of the box kit) and slow cooked and then shredded...wow.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Aster » 03 May 2020, 8:42 pm

We can do something along those lines, Stix.

(For boring, technical reasons) it wouldn't warrant having a dedicated forum category until there was a significant amount of content but I'd be happy to do a sticky "The game cooking thread" or similar in the camping section to start. If it proves to be popular I can always expand it from there.

A sub-forum category in camping could also be an option.

Off the top of my head, I'd say a structure/template to the posts would be needed, rather than have a collection of haphazard posts, something standard like you see on recipe websites; this could be included in the first post for people to copy/paste for their post and fill in their recipe. Something to keep it structured and easy to follow.

I can merge any existing recipes topics into it as well to consolidate, and get the ball rolling.

I'll think on the particulars in a bit more detail and post back in the coming days.

In the mean time; for those interested in such a thing, how many recipes do you think you'd be posting? Give me realistic numbers, not optimistic ones. That would be helpful in determining which is the best course of action.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Bugman » 04 May 2020, 5:25 pm

Yes. Sounds like a good idea. But I am not game to eat game. Used to, but not now. Too many other choices I guess.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation