Best Shank Recipe

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Best Shank Recipe

Post by Stix » 28 Apr 2020, 7:55 pm

Well--winter is about to hit here in SA...so the slow cooker is about to start its season now ive given it a warm-up with some hare...

So...Whats your best shank recipe...?

I dont have one...but id like to try a home grown proven one that just leaves you wanting to go out & chop a heap of legs off off of goaty & deery things...

Anyone got one they want to share..?

:)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Best Shank Recipe

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Apr 2020, 1:16 am

It’s not my recipe but, an old cook down the road From my work, used to have ppl flock an hour or more to his shop, when he started selling take away meals last winter / chilli shanks and mash for $12....fmd. You’d get two shanks, a bed of mash and a scoop of peas and corn.
He seared the shanks in a pan with a heap of finely chopped chilli, a leatherwood honey and sugar. Then slow cooked for 3.5 hours / and they were ready at 11.20...and sold out by 12.00.
His slow cook stock ? Prick wouldn’t tell me...but they had just enough spice, where the mash would instantly quench the “Light” fire...and the meat was so tender, I doubt a vegan could decline it...i don’t much like honey but this was something different, as the honey taste dissapeared in the slow cook - but glaze seemed to stay.
John - (industry appetite) if you see this, stop playing golf every day, You know where I work, $$$ awaits your full recipe or I’ll (and Others) will just pay you to cook for us...OR, we can sort out those ppl who pushed you out of the shop...which ever.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Best Shank Recipe

Post by JimTom » 29 Apr 2020, 7:43 am

Mate probably not the best ever recipe but comes out pretty good.

Throw shanks on a hot BBQ to get a bit of colour.
Chuck shanks into slow cooker with some stock, tin of crushed tomatoes, onions, garlic, rosemary (or any herbs of your choice) whole peppercorns, celery, carrots, and a finely chopped spud to thicken the sauce up a bit.
Simmer away until falling off bone and serve on mash with veggies of your choice. Pretty simple but Goes alright.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation