Flintlock rifle identification help

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Flintlock rifle identification help

Post by Nickm » 01 May 2020, 1:11 pm

I’m after some information about a couple of flintlock rifles I have. Father got them overseas in the ‘60s and just need help with identification, value and how to care for them to stop any further deterioration. Would appreciate any help. Cheers
Attachments
6F4483D9-C2A0-42D7-92AD-8EA63AE95E7F.jpeg
6F4483D9-C2A0-42D7-92AD-8EA63AE95E7F.jpeg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 1534 times
Nickm
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Flintlock rifle identification help

Post by marksman » 01 May 2020, 7:40 pm

l really cant help and maybe someone from the forum who shoots the darker stuff will chime in but they look very old
something arab maybe :unknown: just a guess
these links may give you some clues :drinks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5qMBW3nIak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-aEWZrTibE
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 01 May 2020, 8:09 pm

Can't say with any certainty but they both (in your case) appear to be cap-lock, rather than flint-lock, and are in the style of Afghani productions. Search with the word 'Jezail'.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Larry » 02 May 2020, 4:14 pm

They look like a version of the Camel rifles to me. As No1 said an Afghan Jezail Rifle.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Larry » 02 May 2020, 4:18 pm

Just as likely to be fakes though made somewhere in the middle east or India. Afghanistan and Pakistan have made quite an industry reproducing old style firearms. as well as heaps of other artifacts, rugs pottery that sort of stuff and unloading it on Tourists as genuine. You may be lucky and have the real thing from the correct time period.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Return to Off topic - General conversation