What is going on with EG?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What is going on with EG?

Post by Aster » 02 May 2020, 9:19 pm

bladeracer wrote:First they changed the attachments allowance so we have to make multiple posts to be able to post pics.

Not sure what you're referring to there. Attachment settings haven't been changed in as long as I can remember. Years I think.

bladeracer wrote:They screwed with the quoting system so we have to remove the quote tags and our posts become a mess.

The quoting system hasn't been screwed up. You can have as many quotes in a post as you like (as shown here) but you can no longer nestle multiple quotes. This has been the case for some time now.

The problem with this was people quote quotes, containing quotes, containing quotes, and so on... the entire topic ends up getting replicated over and over within itself. There will be 2,000 words of multiple nestled quotes before a 1 paragraph reply. This leads to topics being made of up 90% quotes and 10% unique information, it gets ridiculous and there is no need to quote everything, every time.

bladeracer wrote:Now I find we can no longer edit our own posts?

There has been a change to editing 1-2 days ago, and a correction to an error in implementing this has been made now.

Previously, members have been able to edit a post from any time. For most this is fine, however, there are 2 issues.

We've had one instance where a member's password was gained by a hacker/spammer/exploit bot, which then went back and replaced their 3000+ posts with rubbish. This broke the continuity of hundreds of topics, and the member's account had to be deleted.

More recently, a now banned member who decided to have an unexplained tantrum started going back through their own posts from years and replacing the content with abuse directed at the forum members. Again, this broke the continuity of hundreds of topics, and has also happened before.

A time limit on editing posts has now been added to prevent the reoccurrence of either of the above.

You can now edit your posts for 48 hours after the original post date, which allows more than enough time for typos/corrections etc.

Regarding the correction I mentioned; the 30-minute limit that has been in play for the last 1-2 days was an oversight on my part. That has now been resolved.

bladeracer wrote:I fail to see how any of these decisions improve the forum, or make life easier for admins in any way at all.

It's not about making life for moderators easier, it's about removing the potential for damage, as explained above.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Aster » 02 May 2020, 9:20 pm

TassieTiger wrote:can edit straight away but then it’s locked out.

As explained in my reply to Bladeracer, that should not have been the case.

A 48-hour window has now been set.
Aster

-

Post by AussieCapitalist » 02 May 2020, 9:24 pm

Thank you for explaining. That makes sense now that you have explained it and I do not have to come up with my own scenarios.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Aster » 02 May 2020, 9:26 pm

Stix wrote:We should have a right to be able to pull what we said, irrelevant the reason...!!

Similar to what has been explained above, the issue with being able to delete anything at any time is it breaking threads when replies critical to the continuity and sense of the topic at no longer there.

You can delete posts within 48 hours of posting. There is no reason you should need to delete something from weeks/months/years ago.

If you're not sure that your reply is appropriate to post, don't post it.

If circumstances or information has changed since the original reply, simply post an update.
Aster

-

Post by Aster » 02 May 2020, 9:30 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:A few days ago old mate moderator gave me a warning for mentioning the name of a certain president of a certain country and he told me not to mention that name. Now he is implementing a system so no one can edit their post after 30 minutes and information cant be deleted but kept only for his records. Wonder what the motive is.

Your warning was in fact:

1) This is not a forum for discussing foreign politics, see here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13282
2) This is not what that topic was about.

There is no hidden motive. The reasons were explained in the link that Blackened provided when issuing the warning, and in the warning message itself.

A warning is simply communication from a moderator to a member. No big deal when it's an isolated incident.
Aster

-

Post by Aster » 02 May 2020, 9:31 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Word has it 5G is going to turn us all into robots. And the mods here are some of the first. Part robot with super conductor CPU, part flesh and blood we will not defeat them.

Correct. The assimilation of my Borg components is now complete.
Aster

-

Post by Aster » 02 May 2020, 9:36 pm

I hope that clears everything up.

My apologies for the 30-minute limit that has mistakenly been in place the last few days.
Aster

-

Post by bladeracer » 02 May 2020, 10:00 pm

Aster wrote:[quote="bladeracer"First they changed the attachments allowance so we have to make multiple posts to be able to post pics.[/quote

Not sure what you're referring to there. Attachment settings haven't been changed in as long as I can remember. Years I think.

[quote="bladeracer"They screwed with the quoting system so we have to remove the quote tags and our posts become a mess.[/quote

The quoting system hasn't been screwed up. You can have as many quotes in a post as you like (as shown here) but you can no longer nestle multiple quotes. This has been the case for some time now.

The problem with this was people quote quotes, containing quotes, containing quotes, and so on... the entire topic ends up getting replicated over and over within itself. There will be 2,000 words of multiple nestled quotes before a 1 paragraph reply. This leads to topics being made of up 90% quotes and 10% unique information, it gets ridiculous and there is no need to quote everything, every time.

[quote="bladeracer"Now I find we can no longer edit our own posts?[/quote

There has been a change to editing 1-2 days ago, and correction to an error in that being implemented

Previously, members have been able to edit a post from any time. For most this is fine, however, there are 2 issues.

We've had one instance where a member's password was gained by a hacker/spammer/exploit bot, which then went back and replaced their 3000+ posts which rubbish. This broke the continuity of hundreds of topics, and the member's account had to be deleted.

More recently, a now banned member who decided to have an unexplained tantrum started going back through their own posts from years and replacing the content with abuse directed at the forum members. Again, this broke the continuity of hundreds of topics, and has also happened before.

A time limit on editing posts has now been added to prevent the reoccurrence of either of the above.

You can now edit your posts for 48 hours after the original post date, which allows more than enough time for typos/corrections etc.

Regarding the correction I mentioned; the 30-minute limit that has been in play for the last 1-2 days was an oversight on my part. That has now been resolved.

[quote="bladeracer"I fail to see how any of these decisions improve the forum, or make life easier for admins in any way at all.[/quote

It's not about making life for moderators easier, it's about removing the potential for damage, as explained above.

I'm on the phone now so I'm not going to attempt to delete the rest of your post, but we can only include three picture attachments in a post or PM. This was not the case prior to a few months ago.

The change to the quoting has made far more mess now than before, at least we could see what was being quoted, and how it applied to thread. Now we have to remove the quote tags, which just makes it a mess to read. I really can't see that the multi quote addresses it as also messes up the thread continuity, which is why many of us don't use it.

The ability to edit posts is particularly useful when testing over a period, and adding new data back to the original post.

As expected, my response is unacceptable because of all the quotes you posted. Trying to edit on the phone sucks so I'm just removing the tags as I've had to do since this "fix" was implemented.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 May 2020, 12:02 am

Aster
I can now understand the point of removing the ability to quote, based on it just filling a thread with repeated info, over, & over & over...

But, as Blade has aluded to, for what you've implemented to avoid that, it relies on the poster/quoter, to remove all the text...the issue being that people dont do this...they just remove the "quotes ("...")...", & post away, leaving all the text there anyway, but in an illegible form, & more often not, resulting in a mis-quote (someone being quoted as saying something they havent).
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2020, 12:45 am

Aster, see how effective the 5G is, you didnt even understand that your a terminator. Not a borg. Sheesh get with the progam. :unknown: :lol:

On a more serious note. Can we increase the type of attachments we can up load to posts and PMs? Its currently very limited. On a few ocassions i would have liked to up load pdf, xls or docx attachments.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 03 May 2020, 7:06 am

bladeracer wrote:I'm on the phone now so I'm not going to attempt to delete the rest of your post, but we can only include three picture attachments in a post or PM. This was not the case prior to a few months ago.

You can include 30 attachments per post, this has been the case forever.

You're correct the limit in PM attachments was 3. I've increased this to 10.

bladeracer wrote:The change to the quoting has made far more mess now than before, at least we could see what was being quoted, and how it applied to thread. Now we have to remove the quote tags, which just makes it a mess to read. I really can't see that the multi quote addresses it as also messes up the thread continuity, which is why many of us don't use it.

Again, the point is not to make a mess of a quote, but to encourage concise quoting instead of quotes-within-quotes-within-quotes-etc repeating virtually the entire thread over and over.

I've restored nested quotes to its previous limit of 4, but, I'll make the point again that not everything needs to be quoted and ask members to be mindful of this. e.g.

If you're the first to reply to a topic don't quote the topic, your reply will appear directly below it so obviously there is no need.

Likewise, if you're replying to the latest post. Just reply, there is no need to quote. The same can be said in most cases for replying to any recent post in a thread.

It's more than adequate in many cases to just say "Hey Blade, about your point XYZ, I think...", as plenty of members do.

Quoting everything as a matter of course only serves to dilute valuable information amongst tedious, unneeded repetition. This is not good for the content or the readership.

Quotes can be very useful, but, replies don't need everything that came before them repeated over and over as people converse back and forth. It's all right there above the replies and people have already read it.

4 nested levels should be more than enough, anything more than that you will need to/should just address the recent poster you wish to reply to directly. Just hit reply and address the person by name.

bladeracer wrote:The ability to edit posts is particularly useful when testing over a period, and adding new data back to the original post.

I understand but as explained, in infrequent but real (and recent) instances it also allows for a lot of damage and disruption.

For the moment I've increased the edit window to 1 week to allow more flexibility. I will think on this more and what is going to be the best balance.
Aster

-

Post by Aster » 03 May 2020, 7:20 am

Stix wrote:I can now understand the point of removing the ability to quote, based on it just filling a thread with repeated info, over, & over & over...

But, as Blade has aluded to, for what you've implemented to avoid that, it relies on the poster/quoter, to remove all the text...the issue being that people dont do this...they just remove the "quotes ("...")...", & post away, leaving all the text there anyway, but in an illegible form, & more often not, resulting in a mis-quote (someone being quoted as saying something they havent).

That's a fair point.

Bladeracer makes a fair point too about editing from a mobile phone being trickier too.

I'll concede too that I'm usually on the forum on my PC which is, of course, easier than editing on a phone.

See my reply to Blaceracer above about the restoration of nested quotes.
Aster

-

Post by Aster » 03 May 2020, 7:36 am

Oldbloke wrote:Aster, see how effective the 5G is, you didnt even understand that your a terminator. Not a borg. Sheesh get with the progam. :unknown: :lol:

What can I say, gaining self-awareness is a complicated event.

Oldbloke wrote:On a more serious note. Can we increase the type of attachments we can up load to posts and PMs? Its currently very limited. On a few ocassions i would have liked to up load pdf, xls or docx attachments.

We can, I have enabled .pdf now.

I need to check a few things regarding other potential extension types, I will get back to you on this.
Aster

-

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2020, 8:01 am

Aster wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Aster, see how effective the 5G is, you didnt even understand that your a terminator. Not a borg. Sheesh get with the progam. :unknown: :lol:

What can I say, gaining self-awareness is a complicated event.

Oldbloke wrote:On a more serious note. Can we increase the type of attachments we can up load to posts and PMs? Its currently very limited. On a few ocassions i would have liked to up load pdf, xls or docx attachments.

We can, I have enabled .pdf now.

I need to check a few things regarding other potential extension types, I will get back to you on this.

:thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 03 May 2020, 8:25 am

Ask and ye shall receive, OB.

Sometimes anyway :thumbsup:
Aster

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 May 2020, 8:52 am

Thanks for the explanation mate. Makes sense

And what politician we cannot mention on the forum... I am sure Bush Jnr is allowed
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 03 May 2020, 10:22 am

Cheers Aster - appreciate the amendments and explanation.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 03 May 2020, 12:58 pm

Could I possibly the dumbest member here? I just realised that EG in the topic stands for enough gun ....it’s ok to be slow on the weekends I think
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 03 May 2020, 1:03 pm

mate your not the only one, I thought EG may have been a Moderator :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 03 May 2020, 2:26 pm

Sergeant Hartman wrote:Thanks for the explanation mate. Makes sense

TassieTiger wrote:Cheers Aster - appreciate the amendments and explanation.

No problem, guys.

Questions are always welcome, happy to answer what I can.
Aster

-

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2020, 3:09 pm

Aster wrote:
Sergeant Hartman wrote:Thanks for the explanation mate. Makes sense

TassieTiger wrote:Cheers Aster - appreciate the amendments and explanation.

No problem, guys.

Questions are always welcome, happy to answer what I can.

Yes indeed, thanks Aster for responding so quickly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 May 2020, 3:21 pm

Aster wrote:Questions are always welcome, happy to answer what I can.

Well...while were here then...

May as well flip this old oxidised coin into the pond again & see if it still sinks...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13516

??... :unknown:...??
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2020, 3:46 pm

Lol. I know selling is an issue but how about a WANTED section. Ha, ha
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 03 May 2020, 5:55 pm

Thats actually a pretty good suggestion, and people could respond via PM's so its all kosher
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 03 May 2020, 6:11 pm

Bill wrote:Thats actually a pretty good suggestion, and people could respond via PM's so its all kosher

Extra lobster for me thanks :sarcasm:
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 May 2020, 6:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Lol. I know selling is an issue but how about a WANTED section. Ha, ha

Yes something like WANTED a buyer for my cz452 in 22lr synthetic stock. Very accurate. Location my safe. I want lots of $$$$ but will take a reasonable offer.

Lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2020, 6:32 pm

Ha ha,

Was more thinking:
Wanted dies for 270 or cheap scales.

Obviously if your keen you can do that now. But a section would promote it. I know mods will not have a sales section. And for good reasons
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 03 May 2020, 7:28 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Ha ha,

Was more thinking:
Wanted dies for 270 or cheap scales.

Obviously if your keen you can do that now. But a section would promote it. I know mods will not have a sales section. And for good reasons

Maybe I’m ignorant - okay, that’s a given - but why not a for sale section? If firearms have to go through a dealer anyway, what is the difference between usedG and a members forum? Maybe - there is an answer in that only members could view for sales, rather than full public access? Seems weird to me - a free internet site can advertise at a cost, anyone can access same site, phone or email the seller direct...etc. what am I missing?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2020, 7:44 pm

Tassie Tiger,,

One or two states did have restrictions and it was tried in the past and created a few issues. Perhaps better if Aster answers that one.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 03 May 2020, 8:43 pm

Stix wrote:May as well flip this old oxidised coin into the pond again & see if it still sinks...

See my reply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13516#p231988
Aster

-

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation