First Time Gun Buyer! Change My Mind

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

First Time Gun Buyer! Change My Mind

Post by marksman » 08 May 2020, 2:05 pm

What do you think? Would having more real-world education and experience about guns change people's views on gun control?
this utube vid is american but can definitely be related to australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l4s901oOUY

This is a tasty burger! :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: First Time Gun Buyer! Change My Mind

Post by TassieTiger » 08 May 2020, 2:12 pm

Yes, Yes and YES!
People who are not affiliated with firearms and have no contact or have never shot - kind of have to adopt the govt / media stance. It's all they really have...
Ive taken so many people shooting and not one has expressed anything but wonderment - the most common words - not like i expected....
This video shows with education, it can be done and have a very positive impact.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by poid » 08 May 2020, 2:37 pm

yep for sure, even when I take the time to explain firearms to people who have no experience of them (ie largely Sydney folk living in the East/North) they do listen and often change their minds; heaps of it is fear of the unknown.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 08 May 2020, 3:56 pm

Most "non gun" people are quite ignorant of what goes on the shooting fraternity. Most, with a little education on the subject often look favorably towards the sport, albeit still a bit unsure. Yep education and right information is a good tool for our sport.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 08 May 2020, 4:10 pm

A firearm is just a simple tool. Like a hammer or a spanner or any other tool. People tend to have this irrational phobia of an inanimate object because they see it on the movies. The mass urbanisation of society is to blame for the firearm haltered we have seen over the years. People are forgetting how to live off the land and are moving to these tiny 500m^2 blocks in the cities. My old girlfriend is Czech, and over there they are allowed firearms for defensive purposes. She is tiny and weak but the AK makes her feel 6 foot 5 and if an intruder infiltrates her home she has an equaliser to defend her property and life.

Women of all people should be pro self defence and pro firearm.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 09 May 2020, 12:27 pm

just thought l'd give this a bump because we haven't heard from the guys who may have a different opinion :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 May 2020, 2:18 pm

Ok marksman...you want a different opinion...
Hows this then...
Stuff you for ruining my saturday...!!!...
Because of seeing this clip you posted, im having an educational, entertaining, & extremely emotional day...
You see, Im 18 odd minutes into the next video of this guy about "There Are Only 2 Genders | Change My Mind", & not only is it expanding my ability to think freely, im also on an emotional rollercoaster trying to keep up with new wave of what id like to call, "shut-off non-binary dual sex infinite gender free thinking intellectual singularity", state of being that is enveloping the world... :wtf:
Im having to deal with an entire gamut of feelings from, anger, frustration, bewilderment, all while trying to navigate extreme dizzyness from all the head-shaking im involuntarily doing while coming to terms with the fact, that people like this cropped red head non-binary what-ever-the-hell "it" thinks it is 'being' (of sorts), is already in a position of leadership in this world... :wtf:

Oh...you meant an opinion on education of firearms, the role they can, could, should, and indeed DO, play in society, along with peoples attitudes towards them...Sorry...that girl (whoops--there i go again assuming a beings gender :oops: ) had me in a spin for a moment...(FMD whats the world coming to...?)

Yes...education...!!!!...something all the affiliations should be doing...

It is way past time some dead wood was trimmed & chipped up into compost, & real thinking with proactive, informative, & real time education was implemented to not only stop this totalitarian style of oppression we're going through, but to better educate society on what it really means to think freely...

We should band together here...i think a proactive affiliation entitled "Enough Gun" would be the perfect banner to get all & sundry to gaze into the realms of respecting firearms for what they are...
And id like to be a security guard on the door as one who can refuse entry...if you get my drift... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 May 2020, 2:20 pm

G'day marksman,
I don't think you are going to find a contrary opinion here. I have experiences the same as others who have posted of taking people with no actual knowledge of our sport/pastime to the range and them coming away with a whole new understanding of the BS they have been fed by the media via GCA ond Slime Greens, some of whom have gone on to become shooters themselves. Even if they don't become shooters the enormous value of just demystifying shooting is worthwhile as they spread by word of mouth the errors in the media, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 09 May 2020, 2:43 pm

I am surprised that the feminist groups are not pushing for self defence laws and concealed carry. So many times we see cases in America that a well trained and armed women can defend herself when attacked out in public. Women should be pro gun and pro self defence laws. It is in their best interests.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 09 May 2020, 3:24 pm

l think you are spot on there No1

hey Stix its not a bad channel, and the one your watching now "There Are Only 2 Genders | Change My Mind", is very informative
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 May 2020, 4:53 pm

Hey MM, maybe we could sort something out and get Sarge Benny a shot somewhere ?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 09 May 2020, 6:45 pm

your a funny bugger Tassie but the truth is l've thought of that before :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SAnewb85 » 12 May 2020, 8:54 pm

Education is key to removing the stigma and hysteria that the media associates with LAFO.

The biggest problem we have is that if we try and tell anyone that shooting targets and hunting can be fun and challenging.
As soon as we say that, we are looked at like a bunch of gun toting psychos who want to shoot everyone and everything and don't take the ownership of firearms "seriously".
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by AussieCapitalist » 12 May 2020, 9:48 pm

You got that SAnewb8. Some of the lads at work think I'm weird for watching gun videos on YouTube and reading about firearms and military hardware. They look up boats, cars, motorbikes etc so how is firearms any different to any other hobby? Some idiots even think that all guns are illegal and when you try to tell them there is more firearms in the country than ever before they don't wanna listen.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SAnewb85 » 13 May 2020, 8:45 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:You got that SAnewb8. Some of the lads at work think I'm weird for watching gun videos on YouTube and reading about firearms and military hardware. They look up boats, cars, motorbikes etc so how is firearms any different to any other hobby? Some idiots even think that all guns are illegal and when you try to tell them there is more firearms in the country than ever before they don't wanna listen.

I think there's also a massive reluctance in the shooting community to say too much and then have people question their status as a "fit and proper" person simply because they have stated that shooting is fun/a good stress relief/etc.
And with the way the anti's try to pick at every little detail I understand that reluctance.

Massively complex issue to be sure.
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation