Hagling on Firearms

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Hagling on Firearms

Post by Aliqua » 11 May 2020, 11:47 am

You are completely right marksman and I think that's why doing some research into the products is ideal too.

I walked in wanting a rem 700 pcr and walked out with a browning xbolt... did some quick research and thought "you know what, they sold me the right gun"... but it's not always that case. When I was young I worked in retail and the boss always said "push this product, there is more profit in it..." so I cant disagree with you :)
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 11 May 2020, 7:01 pm

I hate haggling. That's why I hate shopping in those poor Asian countries where everything is negotiable. If I like the price I will pay, if not I will go to another merchant without saying a word.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 11 May 2020, 7:19 pm

I’ve never been much of a haggler. But I have started to shop around a bit more than I used to, there can be big differences in prices between shops. I was very loyal to one particular shop for a long time, but I paid through the nose too many times. I’ll go back there every so often, but it’s not my one stop shop that it once was.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 11 May 2020, 7:56 pm

Mate I do try and support my local as much as I can, sometimes paying a bit more, just to help ensure they stay open. I will allow a $50 premium on the item, then the $50 it would cost me to get it up from Brisbane. So if the LGS gets close to that I support him. Sometimes they are just way off and you just can’t support that. I generally don’t haggle, although once or twice I have suggested that they are a bit steep, and they will come down for me. I don’t enjoy haggling so if I can save good coin by buying in bulk from Brissy I do.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SAnewb85 » 12 May 2020, 6:33 am

Its a vicious cycle. (In all shops, not just guns)
The more you haggle/buy cheap stuff online the more profit the shops have to try and gouge from each individual sale in order to keep the doors open.

As other have suggested, its one thing to pay for convenience and instant access to your items but quite another to be blatantly taken advantage of.

I bought a spika sch1 safe last week, first time ever in a proper gun shop, didn't haggle, was happy with the price as compared to others id seen online and had a quick chat with the staff.
I probably won't go back there as its over an hour from my home and the staff didn't really make any extra effort to ask me anything about my shooting needs, which I think was either laziness or rudeness.

Surely its as important for staff to build rapport with their customers as it is for a customer to build rapport with the staff.......
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 12 May 2020, 6:46 am

In the case of "Law",,,,,,,,, this is against most shooters.
If the law was changed on the posting of ammo,,, I think that would take a few humps out of the playing field.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by simmo » 12 May 2020, 6:50 am

I try spread my dollar around where I can because a viable industry is in everyone’s interest. Also haggling is not an overly accepted part of this country’s culture so why bring it and impose on on business that is already operating in a difficult industry?

That said, I frequent my LGS often and pretty much spend money in there every time I walk through the door; usually walk out with a jug of powder, projectiles or I get or some primers. I also buy what amounts to a rifle every year from them.

The fact is you usually get better deal from a Bigger (leave unnamed) retailer online but supporting a local retailer run some by really good blokes means that you can have a chat and get advice if needed. I have also found having somewhere, locally, to handle, look at and play with things like scopes, rifles and rests before dropping a pile of cash on something is a service in itself I’m happy to support.

Like others here at there respective LGS, I have been given great service and a lot of great deals and generosity when making purchases because of this loyalty.

I suppose I value a local business and having a viable firearms sector to support my passion.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rwd22 » 12 May 2020, 8:10 am

I shop around for things and when I find a saving that is considerable, I will go to the cheaper place. In my case I frequent two dealers, one is a big name with very close to wholesale pricing, this is their business model, sell lots with minimal margin, customer in-customer out.

The other store, which is generally a little more pricey, offers me far better service every day of the week and does look after me on things, a lot of the time without me even having to ask, that is based on a relationship built by not walking in there and trying to get every dollars worth everytime. At the end of the day, I don't haggle with people on pricing, I simply shop where it's cheaper if those savings are warranted. The difference for me is a 10 minute drive to the local dealer or an hour drive plus tolls to the cheaper place.

It's also very handy to know what alliances certain dealers have, whether they direct import or whether they're paying an Australian wholesalers price to start with before the product even hits their store.

Everyone has their own quirks, for me I'm a reasonable guy and when I sell something, it's at a fair price from the get-go. Being haggled with leaves a bad taste in your mouth at times, enough to want to price gouge the next time.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 12 May 2020, 8:51 am

Smart dealers know their place in the supply chain and if that means using a secondary importer then they get the smart money.

Distributors who force shops to retail their wares at inflated prices dont get my money.

I'm a firm believer that competition is good for everyone. :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 May 2020, 9:06 am

Die Judicii wrote:In the case of "Law",,,,,,,,, this is against most shooters.
If the law was changed on the posting of ammo,,, I think that would take a few humps out of the playing field.

I get ammo posted down from Brisbane at a very good price, probably not much more than getting the same weight of anything else sent. 25kg of ammo for $60 delivery to country Victoria.

Powder is a problem though, nobody can freight that nowadays.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 12 May 2020, 10:25 am

went to the LGS yesterday to find that one of our biggest distributors wont deal with them anymore because they dont sell enough ammo :thumbsdown:

how farken rude :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by firstguns » 12 May 2020, 1:24 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:I hate haggling. That's why I hate shopping in those poor Asian countries where everything is negotiable. If I like the price I will pay, if not I will go to another merchant without saying a word.

+1 - I bloody hate haggling. Especially when you're in Bali or whatever and you know you're paying 3x the local price, but you realise if you get fighting about it, you're really only saving a buck or two Aus, and it takes the whole point of haggling away.

I've often wondered what the advantage would be in a 'no haggling' car dealer. Still move your prices along the month, like regular car dealers do, but just be upfront about it. "If you buy the Forester today, I can do 2k better than sticker price". Sure, you'll always be slightly more expensive than the 'best' price an aggressive haggler could get at another dealer, but for 90% of people you'll be the better fit, and presumably move more stock as a result.

On local gun stores tho, my LGS haggled for me - I was putting together a bunch of stuff and asked "and what was the price difference?" between two scopes I was looking at. Guy gave me the stickers and then said "I could probably do $30 better on the more expensive one", plus threw in the rings at half price. Haven't shopped anywhere else since, even for things like knives where I know I'm probably paying a couple bucks too much. Their advice and time is worth the couple bucks as far as I'm concerned.
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 May 2020, 3:08 pm

marksman wrote:went to the LGS yesterday to find that one of our biggest distributors wont deal with them anymore because they dont sell enough ammo :thumbsdown:

how farken rude :wtf:

My current dealer has very restricted supply due to not having accounts with the big distributors. For me, it means they can only supply S&B and Hornady rimfire ammo, no Ruger parts or accessories, no Remington primers, no ADI powders. So I have to order my ammo online from Brisbane.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation