Reflection in water

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Reflection in water

Post by Blr243 » 10 May 2020, 4:41 pm

Pic taken during the day with thermal. Pigs reflection is obvious in the waterhole. I tend to think of reflection as something to do with light. Any mad scientists or otherwise here can shed some light ? If I’m useing thermal. What am I seeing in the water ?
Attachments
DF79EE11-7C44-4D95-B958-6B1A7392AEBC.png
DF79EE11-7C44-4D95-B958-6B1A7392AEBC.png (90.75 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Reflection in water

Post by Stix » 10 May 2020, 6:12 pm

BLR...
Try to think of "light" from a different perspective/level...

Light (that we can see, as well as spectrums we cant see), just like radio waves, heat, microwaves etc etc...are all forms of radiation...that radiation being energy that is either emitted from, or reflected off of an object (in this case your little piggy going to BLR's 243 market)...
Either that, or expand your thinking to allow yourself to accept that all forms of radiation are different types/forms of "light"....& the thermal picks up/sees a particular "section" of that radiation/light.

Thats why if you search astronomy pictures, you'll see different nebulas/galaxies/stars etc a different colour from the next or last pic of them...you might even see a pic of a galaxy where one pic of it is huge as compared with the next--because the different forms of "radiation" (or "light" if you like t call it that), that the picture has been captured with, show up a different spectrum that cant be seen by the last picture form.
So there are pics of say a given nebula in our galaxy that have been taken with light that we can see, as well as the same pics taken with certain frequencies (wavelengths--what ever they are) say microwaves & radio waves that have different colours & show different aspects of the galaxy.

Kind of like how we cant see infrared spectrum without it being transposed into wavelengths on a screen that we can see...

I really dont know how well im explaining this...so im gonna go & have a scotch...
& i thank you for the excuse to do that BLR... :thumbsup:

Hope ive shed some light on the subject for you...

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...ah fark i crack myself up sometimes...!! :lol: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by hunting99 » 10 May 2020, 6:27 pm

Explained it better than I would.
How I understand it is a thermal camera basically see’s heat as light.
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 10 May 2020, 6:51 pm

Clear as mud stix, :lol: your no relation to Julius Sumner Miller are ya :lol: :lol: :huh: :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 May 2020, 7:30 pm

Nope...im not Grandad...

But did like his experiment...cos while everyone was watching that egg was sucked into the bottle i was stuffing my face with chocolate... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 10 May 2020, 7:42 pm

Thank you stix. The start of the concept you describe is helpful in a basic understanding of what I’m seeking and it puts me on the correct path as I gradually try to learn and possibly eventually understand it completely While we are on the subject of planets there is a good doco on Netflix called “ the beginning and end of the universe”. I watched most of it in an attempt to get a better understanding of u know that bit we all think about what’s at the end of the universe , that ongoing burning question that most of us struggle with .......I think that if we are reminded of how far a light year is and how just our own galaxy is so huge and there are many millions of galaxies .....it’s very hard for us to fathom the size of the universe when our own concept of enormity is limited to the occasions when we look thru a set of 12x binos
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 May 2020, 8:28 pm

Yes, I grew up watching Julius Sumner Miller evety weekend. Loved the bloke.

Stix is very close to the mark.

Light we see and light we dont see including many frequencies is all the same stuff. EMF Obviously you equipment picked up a reflection of light we cant normally see with our eyes.

The-electromagnetic-spectrum-the-microwave-region-of-the-spectrum-is-towards-the.png
The-electromagnetic-spectrum-the-microwave-region-of-the-spectrum-is-towards-the.png (50.9 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 12 May 2020, 8:29 am

Thanks old bloke. Hopefully now that winter is upon us I might get to do a bit of daytime hunting too. I’m sick of seeing white glowing pigs. I want to see some black ones and some saddle backs and some multi coloured and ginger ones
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 12 May 2020, 9:08 am

Now that we've solved BLr's problem with the image , now let's solve BLr's ''How do you get sick of seeing ferals and shooting them :? :lol: mate, maaate I would love to own a thermal and sit all night watching and shooting wild dogs and never get sick of it :thumbsup: :unknown: '' any feral for that matter'' but I suppose each to their own I suppose. :thumbsup: :drinks: :violin:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 May 2020, 12:16 pm

Yes I’m a bit greedy , Still kicking myself to death over the dog I almost got a few months ago. I want a thermal wild dog like most people want to win lotto. Maybe in kyogle soonish when we are allowed border crossings again
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 12 May 2020, 4:44 pm

It'll happen sooner or later Blr just make sure you keep your cool and don't pull the shot and miss or every animal within cooee will end up knowing a few swear words :lol:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 13 May 2020, 6:12 pm

For all the over 60's lol

julius sumner miller - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJ ... e&ie=UTF-8
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation