Mobile phone coverage, Aldi, Boost, Telstra

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Mobile phone coverage, Aldi, Boost, Telstra

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 1:28 pm

I will very soon be traveling a lot more in tbe bush. We all know the Telstra has the best coverage in remote areas. Given their fairly costly, there are alternatives now that use the Telstra system in part at least , Aldi is very popular and pretty damn cheap Boost also which I believe his own by Telstra is also a good option.
I'm aware that Aldi does not use all of the system about 98% and boost uses all of the system. Given we know that, has anyone had experience using Telstra and at least one of the others and has been able to compare coverage and importantly internet speed and coverage?

PS I'm inclined to believe telstra some how proritises its own customers or restricts the others. But uncertain.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Mobile phone coverage, Aldi, Boost, Telstra

Post by Farmerpete » 30 May 2020, 4:04 pm

Had a worker that used boost on the farm here (fnq) and he had just as much coverage as I did with Telstra
I think boost pre purchase x amount of network bandwidth from Telstra and then sell it on to customers it works fine on your average weekday but probably causes some issues during peak usage times like Christmas/Easter day etc. When everyone wants to call home
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 30 May 2020, 4:16 pm

After going to war with fecking Telstra three times - and winning them all- I abandoned them for Optus (Phone) and Dodo (internet). I’m getting the same services and coverage for just over half the cost of Telstra.
If Telstra was the the last telco on earth I’d light a smoky fire and put a blanket over it before using those brain dead, oxygen thieving, barely trained monkeys ever again!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 30 May 2020, 4:55 pm

Have a look at Aldi. I've been informed by a mate that Aldi use the Telstra network, so coverage should be great. He's been with Telstra for many, many years and went over to a "Pat as you Go" plan and is very happy with Aldi. When my month is up, I'm gonna have a look too, plenty of data available and heaps cheaper the "you know who".
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 30 May 2020, 5:02 pm

I have always just used Telstra at the mines because that's the only one that works.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 May 2020, 5:10 pm

So Telstra, owns belong which is their cheap teloco. Also as Said above aldi and boost are MVNO...so they are seperate companies who buy time from Telstra. Usually Telstra will keep the latest ie 5G for themselves. But it doesn't matter as its not available rural anyway. I have got Aldi sim in my generator as they have 365 day expiry, and a $25 or $35 plan for the teenager.

I have Optus for myself. Honestly though in Gippsland, vic in many towns Optus (personal) had better service than Telstra (work) phones.

You can get both. ALDI and JEENEE. Haha.

In short either is fine, i have used ALDI and don't have an issue.

You are right there Telstra is like weird, if you get the Aussie call centre, they usually would go out of their way and fix things, the Philippines call centre... monkeys have probably more intelligence in a fingernail than the Indian or Philippines call centres... or maybe they are just lazy and arrogant.
Last edited by Sergeant Hartman on 30 May 2020, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 5:16 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Have a look at Aldi. I've been informed by a mate that Aldi use the Telstra network, so coverage should be great. He's been with Telstra for many, many years and went over to a "Pat as you Go" plan and is very happy with Aldi. When my month is up, I'm gonna have a look too, plenty of data available and heaps cheaper the "you know who".

For the majority Aldi is great.

Have been using Aldi and pretty good. Mrs is still on Aldi. But Aldi gets about 97% of the system. So in more remote areas no cover but often telstra has cover. Im currently on Boost & I believe uses 100% of the telstra system. But I think internet very slow or low priority.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by moudzj » 30 May 2020, 5:18 pm

BIG fan of Telstra. The reception, the further out you go, is simply non existent with other providers. I dont care about anyones opinions, this is simply what coverage maps show (the FACTS). Havent had any problems with them either. I am, however, with AussieBB for NBN.

JB-HIFI has a pretty irresistable deal with TELSTRA, where, when you sign up, you get a $500 or so voucher which you can buy your phone with. Ends up being cheaper than any other comparable plan.

Goodluck.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 30 May 2020, 5:42 pm

PS. Earlier, Telstra was the best reception while in Tassie and that's the only reason I'm still with Telstra.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 5:48 pm

Mmmm...

JB-HIFI has a pretty irresistable deal with TELSTRA, where, when you sign up, you get a $500 or so voucher which you can buy your phone with. Ends up being cheaper than any other comparable plan.

Mmmm.... cant find that on their web site?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 30 May 2020, 6:40 pm

They’re all s**t.
Optus is the ****** of the s**t.
Telstra is the least s**ty.
Overall remote area coverage is really s**t.
Get a plb.
Often the property owner and his neighbours have a uhf channel they use.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 30 May 2020, 10:04 pm

I have seen a couple of instances where Telstra showed its superiority in remote areas. One was Aldi, which may use the same network, but side by side it showed it was inferior. Sim cards were actually swapped between phones to prove it was the network and not the phone.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 May 2020, 10:18 pm

It won’t matter soon - Once 3G is canned (23/24) there will be reduced mainstream external coverage in remote areas and country areas will be offered / ubiquity microwave links running repeaters of your chosen network/s.
Or - pay a grand and do it now.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 11:28 pm

TassieTiger wrote:It won’t matter soon - Once 3G is canned (23/24) there will be reduced mainstream external coverage in remote areas and country areas will be offered / ubiquity microwave links running repeaters of your chosen network/s.
Or - pay a grand and do it now.

Lol. And in layman's terms that means??
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 May 2020, 11:58 pm

Ubiquitous microwave link will be the back bone infrastructure - hop - from nearest telco tower to a near line of sight tower (they are selling for about $5-800) - add a repeater and you’ll be able to extend the network, tailored to your property (the mic link will add 30-40klms) - need more distance, put another link in.

It’s being done now - I know ppl who share Foxtel over the same mic links...brilliant.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 31 May 2020, 12:36 am

TT, so how does that help me if I'm camping in the bush or driving along some back road. Sounds like I will have access to less coverage and some will have their own private network.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 31 May 2020, 4:05 am

We have already lost some 3G coverage areas in Queenstown and Zeehan in the west coast Areas and it will get worse in 23. As data becomes more profitable - phone calls less so - big telcos are concentrating on populated areas. The ACMA recently sold off entire spectrums 450 and 800 MHz to telcos for hundreds of millions - that’s YOUR airwaves...and they are getting thin on the ground.
Although 5g uses 3.3-3.7ghz range - including farmed up 1800, 2.3, 2.5 MHz Spectrums - these are multiples of other spectrums (waves are amplified to carry more data on quadplex arrangements) basically - allowing multiple calls and multiple streams at same time by thousands of users.

But - it’s not all bad. Individual property owners, or perhaps townships will be able to buy links / repeaters and improve coverage where they / the town needs it for very little money. How considerate - make the end user pay for and then rent the infrastructure lol.
It consider farmer x - he currently can’t have wifi or gps controlled water feeders at properties x, y and z.

In the near future for a couple k - farmer x will own the end portion of the network on his farms, and he’ll get covereAge at exactly those points he needs it. If he’s feeling generous - he might not password protect it and allow Telstra / Optus users to utilise his repeaters if they find they have need - or this is where a town might pull together.

5g needs more towers because Of it’s high frequency, its tiny wave length won’t travel the distances that 3G will.
I would NOT remain living in close proximity to a new 5g tower. I don’t want to turn this into a conspiracy but I personally don’t believe there’s been enough - further- testing of uncovered issues...it’s another climate change with so many $$$ already in the field, scientists are paid to report positively...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation