Ute hoist.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Ute hoist.

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2020, 5:59 pm

I'd like to put a hoist on the ute just to make life easier.
We'd like to be able to lift and move round hay bales without having to get the tractor or a trailer involved.
I've seen electric/hydraulic but we don't need that, a hand winch is fine.
I don't like the ones that just have a boom as you can't place the load where you need it, if you have the boom out at 1500mm to pick it you have to put it down on the tray 1500mm from the hoist. I'd prefer one with a winch cable so you can raise the boom right up and winch the load down right at the base.

I have a pretty decent engine hoist on wheels that I could adapt to mount on the ute if I have to.

Thought I'd ask the guys that own or use them what their experiences have been with various types. Anything that you dislike particularly, or anything you wish it would do but doesn't?

I grabbed a couple of pics of some very basic sub$1000 ones so you can see what I mean.
Attachments
LFTHSTTRXB0XL.jpg
LFTHSTTRXB0XL.jpg (114.04 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (245.97 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Ute hoist.

Post by Tiger650 » 16 Jun 2020, 6:48 pm

Would a lightweight towed A frame do the job, or even perhaps an A frame off the tow hitch pulled fwd off a post mounted on the bullbar ?
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2020, 8:07 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Would a lightweight towed A frame do the job, or even perhaps an A frame off the tow hitch pulled fwd off a post mounted on the bullbar ?

Possibly, I have drawn up a few designs I could build, but they're still more involved than simply driving the ute alongside a bale, hoisting it into the back, and driving off. We have three blocks which is a pain driving the tractor between them.

I'm going to look at my engine hoist tomorrow and see what's involved in a simple mount to the ute tray with an outrigger for stability. Should be pretty easy to mount a winch on it as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 1:08 am

Hey BR, I built my own crane / hoist (which isn't mounted at the moment, and is sitting in my workshop)
To overcome the issue you speak of, I made the main boom telescopic so by simply pulling out a pin it can be shortened or lengthened.
But, if you wanted to get fancy, you could incorporate a small hydraulic ram that was either hand pumped or 12 volt operated.
Simple,,,,,,, :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2020, 1:53 am

Die Judicii wrote:Hey BR, I built my own crane / hoist (which isn't mounted at the moment, and is sitting in my workshop)
To overcome the issue you speak of, I made the main boom telescopic so by simply pulling out a pin it can be shortened or lengthened.
But, if you wanted to get fancy, you could incorporate a small hydraulic ram that was either hand pumped or 12 volt operated.
Simple,,,,,,, :thumbsup:

Can you change the length of the boom with 500kg hanging on it though?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 10:15 am

Not on mine the way it is.
But if using a hydraulic ram on the telescoping boom you could.
There's nothing magical involved.
Depending on how fancy you wanna make it.
Could be a simple neat sliding fit with grease nipples placed strategically,,,,, or go the whole hog and put rollers into it.
:drinks:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2020, 8:52 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Not on mine the way it is.
But if using a hydraulic ram on the telescoping boom you could.
There's nothing magical involved.
Depending on how fancy you wanna make it.
Could be a simple neat sliding fit with grease nipples placed strategically,,,,, or go the whole hog and put rollers into it.
:drinks:

I'd prefer to avoid electric or hydraulic if possible, wanting to keep it light enough to throw on and off the ute when needed. A screw with a crank handle though might be a useful addition to the boom.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 9:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I'd prefer to avoid electric or hydraulic if possible, wanting to keep it light enough to throw on and off the ute when needed. A screw with a crank handle though might be a useful addition to the boom.

That would work,,,,, especially if you put rollers in it. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 9:16 pm

Don't fall into the old CAD / CAM trap though.

The manufacturers of a lot of agricultural machinery did, (don't know if they still are) but a lot of the big name machinery was plagued with failures, stress fractures and the likes, and literally tearing apart.
All because the "computer" said 3mm wall thickness was adequate.
But in practice wasn't anywhere heavy enough.

One particular brand of hay rake I used to do so many repairs/modifications etc under warranty that they actually sent me a pallet of their paint
so I could do a respray/touch ups afterwards.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation