Process of Buying a Rifle

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Process of Buying a Rifle

Post by onfoot114 » 22 Jun 2020, 3:38 pm

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase my first rifle soon after a longer than expected wait due travel restrictions. I have a licence, current PTA and know the rifle I want to buy.

Does this mean I can walk into a gun shop tomorrow and walk out with a rifle? Or do I have to wait for the dealer to complete paperwork, send it to the registry, and receive my registration certificate first?

Hopefully option 'A' as the nearest gun shop is over 100 km away and this would save me two trips!
onfoot114
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Process of Buying a Rifle

Post by Bugman » 22 Jun 2020, 3:49 pm

Once you have a current licence for category of rifle you would like, and a current PTA that allows you to purchase that rifle, you can go down to your local dealer, and if they have that particular rifle in stock, they will do all the paperwork then and there, give you an interim rego copy and you may then take the firearm with you once you have paid etc etc. FAR in NSW will then post you the official certificate of registration a week or so later. So always keep your interim copy.
You must also have an approved rifle safe, but I am guessing you already have that.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jun 2020, 4:33 pm

onfoot114 wrote:Hi All,

I am looking to purchase my first rifle soon after a longer than expected wait due travel restrictions. I have a licence, current PTA and know the rifle I want to buy.

Does this mean I can walk into a gun shop tomorrow and walk out with a rifle? Or do I have to wait for the dealer to complete paperwork, send it to the registry, and receive my registration certificate first?

Hopefully option 'A' as the nearest gun shop is over 100 km away and this would save me two trips!

I think the 28-day waiting period is on the PtA, so if you have an approved PtA I would think you can just go and buy a rifle on the spot. Ring the dealer though before going in if you want to be certain. Rego paper gets sent out later, after you own the firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 22 Jun 2020, 5:20 pm

First firearm in vic you have 28 day wait after you submit the pta. The dealer won’t know but the registry will. Assumed the same nationwide.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jun 2020, 6:00 pm

Bugman wrote:Once you have a current licence for category of rifle you would like, and a current PTA that allows you to purchase that rifle, you can go down to your local dealer, and if they have that particular rifle in stock, they will do all the paperwork then and there, give you an interim rego copy and you may then take the firearm with you once you have paid etc etc. FAR in NSW will then post you the official certificate of registration a week or so later. So always keep your interim copy.
You must also have an approved rifle safe, but I am guessing you already have that.

Thumbs-up .jpg
Thumbs-up .jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Jun 2020, 7:29 pm

yay ! welcome to the club onfoot :friends:

shoot straight , be safe and enjoy :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by onfoot114 » 23 Jun 2020, 9:36 am

Bugman wrote:Once you have a current licence for category of rifle you would like, and a current PTA that allows you to purchase that rifle, you can go down to your local dealer, and if they have that particular rifle in stock, they will do all the paperwork then and there, give you an interim rego copy and you may then take the firearm with you once you have paid etc etc. FAR in NSW will then post you the official certificate of registration a week or so later. So always keep your interim copy.

Thanks Mate that clears things up!
onfoot114
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 23 Jun 2020, 12:05 pm

Bugman wrote: FAR in NSW will then post you the official certificate of registration a week or so later. So always keep your interim copy.

My last one took a shade over 3 months. Definitely keep your interim rego somewhere you won't lose it. I have one of those fridge magnet bulldog clip dealies stuck to the inside of the safe door with all my rego papers/interims attached. Makes it real easy at inspection time.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 23 Jun 2020, 12:14 pm

Remember you dont need a licence or a PTA to buy a firearm you only need them to take it away from the dealer.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Jarhead » 24 Jun 2020, 4:20 pm

Welcome Onfoot114!

Don't leave us all in suspense! Did you get the new rifle?

What type is it?

Regards.
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation